Chapter 38

Ticket To Heaven

“Oh wow! That looks so cool! Hey Aaron quickly go get Selina! I think looking at that island will make her feel better! Hurry!” Wu Chun orderedd.

Aaron sighed and quickly did as he was told, but when he headed down the stairs he didn’t see Selina anywhere. Frowning he quickly headed out on deck and slowly made his way to the front of the deck.

“Why does Wu Chun’s boat need to be so big?!” he wondered and came to a stop when he saw Selina make a dive into the water. “Selina!”

Aaron ran over and looked in the water to find that it had already engulfed her. Fear wrapped around him when he couldn't spot her anywhere.

“Wu Chun! Wu Chun!” Aaron shouted. “Selina!”

Aaron ran around panicked.

“What do I do? I’m not very good at swimming…Wu Chun!” Aaron shouted, but as Wu Chun didn’t seem to hear him. Aaron looked at the scary water again.

He gulped and jumped in.

‘Why? Why is it that I can feel myself crying even when I’m in the water? Why can I feel my tears?’ Selina wondered to herself. ‘I feel so tired…’

“Aaron! What in the world!” Wu Chun was screaming when Aaron finally appeared again with Selina in his arms.

Wu Chun reached for Selina first then reached back to pull Aaron on board.

“I don’t know…she suddenly jumped in…” Aaron explained trying to catch his breath at the same time. “Is she breathing?”

Wu Chun quickly returned to Selina. He gave her a quick mouth-to-mouth so she would start breathing easily again. Not before long Selina was coughing. A smile grew on Wu Chun and Aaron’s faces. She started which quickly turned into harsh sobs.

“I think we should head back,” Aaron told Wu Chun, “I’ll call Jiro.”

_*_*_*_*_*_

Jiro quickly grabbed a cab giving the drive directions to Wu Chun’s place. As soon as the cab stopped Jiro handed him a bunch of cash and dashed into Wu Chun’s house neverminding the change the taxi driver was about to hand him. While he ran through the hallways he could hear Selina’s heavy sobs. When Jiro stopped at the hallway and looked at Selina he realized she was going through what her grandma referred to as “the crazy stage.” Just like what had happened after she had fallen down that one hill.

“Selina!” Jiro said loudly as he ran over to her.     

“We’re sorry,” Aaron said, “she just jumped in the water…I’m not sure what really happened. I tried giving her a blanket but she kept tossing it away.”

“It’s ok…this happens once in a while,” Jiro replied quietly.

“What?” asked Wu Chun confused.

“She’s never told anyone…” Jiro said as he grabbed a towel and started to dry Selina’s drenched hair. “Her father used to abuse her.”

“How can that be?!” questioned Wu Chun suddenly angry. “She just saw him the other day!”

“What?” Jiro asked turning around to Wu Chun.

“He…was in an accident…she went to give him blood…” Wu Chun said. “I get it now.”

“Her father?” Jiro questioned. “You found her father?”

“My cousin is a nurse…they didn’t have enough of that blood so she gave me call to find someone…” Wu Chun went on then his voice became quiet and quieter.

“I’m sorry! I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to do it! Dad forgive me!” Selina cried. “I know he won’t forgive me…I made mom cry so much…I’m sorry!”

“Selina. I’m here…don’t cry.” Jiro said trying to comfort her however Selina did not pay any attention to him.

Selina turned to look at Jiro after crying some more. A bunch of tears were gathered in her eyes. Selina reached out to touch his face gently. Her fingers felt frozen cold.

“I’m sorry…you can move on without me right?” questioned Selina.

Jiro felt his heart come to a stop as Selina’s eyes closed.

“Selina! Wake up! Selina! Don’t spout nonsense! Selina!” Jiro shouted.

The three of them waited in the hallway of the hospital as the doctor gave Selina a checkup. Jiro felt nervous and scared he had never really worried about Selina’s health because she had always seemed to be healthy. What would he do if he lost her? How would he explain it to her family? That she killed herself? No. He wouldn’t let her go. He quickly jumped to his feet as the doctor walked out of the door.

“Doctor how is she?” Jiro asked.

“She’s been having quite a depression,” the doctor replied, “however she’s in a serious fever right now. Let her stay and get some sleep before she heads back home.”

“What about visitors?” asked Wu Chun.

“Don’t stay too long. The patient needs peace and quiet,” the doctor explained.

“Thank you,” Aaron thanked and the doctor walked away.

Wu Chun and Aaron turned to look at Jiro curiously and worried. Before they could speak to him Jiro made his way into the room to find an IV drip connected to Selina. Her chest was heaving up and down slowly as if she was exhausted, but everything else seemed to be fine. Jiro grabbed a chair and sat by the bed gripping her hand and her hair.

“It’s all my fault. I’m sorry,” Jiro apologized. “Take your time and wake up soon ok? I promise I’ll be here waiting for you. I’ll be the first person you see when you open your eyes. After you get better we’ll go back to live with your family. How does that sound? I know you miss them.”

As Jiro leaned his head against hers Wu Chun and Aaron watched as his shoulders gently shook. Jiro was finally able to let some of his tears out.

Jiro had wanted to stay longer with Selina but the nurse had convinced him to go back home, but Jiro had obviously ignored the nurse. The more he refused Wu Chun and Aaron had no choice but to drag him out and drive him home. As they watched Jiro enter the house and close the door reluctantly they drove off.

Without bothering to turn on the lights Jiro made his way upstairs and sunk into the bed. Should he call her parents? But he didn’t even know if they had a phone. They were old fashioned folks anyway. Without being aware of it Jiro had dozed off for an hour and finally awoke hoping that Selina would be right next to him, but only found silence. When he sat up he noticed a white piece of paper sitting on the table. It was Selina’s goodbye letter. After reading it Jiro crumpled it up and tossed it across the room.

“You’re so stupid!” Jiro muttered. “You’re the dumbest person ever Selina! If you believe me a little more you’ll know I’ll never leave you.”

Selina still hadn’t woken up the next day. Jiro was surprised when he saw a visitor at the door he had never seen before. This man looked old and weary and was dressed in hospital clothes.