Chapter 35

Ticket To Heaven

Selina wiped her eyes dry and walked out of the room. She was half surprised to see Wu Chun still sitting there.

Wu Chun turned and got up worriedly lightly holding her arm, “Are you ok?”

Selina smiled forcing her tears back, “Yea.”

_*_*_*_*_*_

It was raining hard when Jiro had gotten home. He was a little worried when he found that Selina was not in the house. He even checked all around the house twice before retreating to the kitchen frustrated. What he could only think about was that what if Danson had come back? That thought quickly washed away as he heard the door open.

Selina closed the door behind her and walked in. Before she went up the stairs she remembered the nurse had advised her to drink some water. Deciding to take the advice Selina went into the kitchen and stopped when she noticed Jiro staring right back at her. She quickly moved her gaze and grabbed a cup pouring some water for herself. As Selina turned around holding the cup she found her hand shaking and suddenly the cup fell to the ground shattering into pieces. Selina quickly bent down to pick up the broken pieces, but instead fell to the ground weakly.

“Selina!” Jiro quickly shouted panicked as he rushed over.

Jiro stared down at her pale face scared. Selina’s sight became blurry shortly before she gave a smile and fainted.

_*_*_*_*_*_

Danson had cleaned Mod’s cuts and had bandaged them. After she had out Danson hurried her to his place. Mod was sleeping peacefully covered in two blankets. Danson smoothed back her hair and smiled down at her.

_*_*_*_*_*_

Selina had fallen into a deep slumber after Jiro had brought her upstairs. As Jiro got onto his side he studied her pale face closely but no answer came to him. He sighed as he leaned her head against his shoulder. ‘I nearly forgot it’s your birthday tomorrow’ Jiro thought.

Selina awoke the next morning and sat up slowly still feeling a little dizzy. Selina made her way downstairs smelling the aroma of food coming from the kitchen. Selina walked into the kitchen and found Jiro preparing a gourment.

“You’re awake,” Jiro said with a smile. “Take a seat.”

Selina did as he said.

“Don’t worry, I’ll put the plates away and I’ll finish the leftovers if you don’t eat them,” Jiro offered which made Selina feel a little guilty but she didn’t show it.

She stared at the plates in front of her feeling pleasure. Selina wanted to smile but she felt too tired to smile.

“You looked very pale last night,” Jiro told, “I made some more things for you to eat to get some color back into your face.”

Selina stared at the food in front of her once more. ‘Jiro you’re being too good to me’ Selina thought.

“About you and Danson…I’ll pretend I never saw anything,” Jiro said.

Selina felt her heart throbbing. She wanted to cry, but Selina had promised not to cry though she couldn’t keep her word she could at least try not to cry in front of Jiro.

“Sorry,” Selina apologized. “I don’t know why that happened myself either.”

There was silence for a few minutes then Jiro finally spoke up.

“I have a small surprise for you today,” Jiro told. “Did you know we’ve been together for at least one whole year?”

“I forgot,” Selina replied.

“I didn’t really keep track myself,” Jiro admitted gladly. “Is there somewhere you’d like to do today? It’s sunny out.”

“No,” Selina answered.

“I have something planned for later…” Jiro began.

“I said I don’t want to do anything today,” Selina said in a harsh voice.

“Selina,” Jiro tried.

Selina grabbed her spoon and started eating avoiding eye contact. She didn’t want to talk anymore the more he talked the more she’d want to give in. Soon she wouldn’t be able to hear anymore and before then she wanted to leave…alone.

After Selina had gone upstairs Jiro cleaned up and washed dishes. He never really minded doing such chores, but he was beginning to wonder about her attitude. What was it that was making her become so cold? Jiro stared down at his cellphone. He thought sadly to himself that if she didn’t want to do anything with him maybe she would do something with Aaron. Maybe Aaron would help him carry out his plan.   

Selina sat on the bed frustrated with herself and frustrated with Jiro. Why couldn’t he be mean to her? Why couldn’t he be mad? Why was he being nice? Why, why, why? She didn’t want him to be with a handicapped person. After she would no longer be able to hear she wouldn’t be able to help Jiro anymore. He shouldn’t be stuck with such a burden like her. He deserved much better.

Selina listened as the front door closed and stayed in the room until after what seemed like a long time Selina headed downstairs to find that she was the only living soul left in the large house. Selina stared at the door once more losing track of time.

_*_*_*_*_*_


“Who was that?” asked Wu Chun as Aaron set the receiver down.

Aaron turned back nervously, “Oh..oh that was no one.”

Wu Chun frowned and hit Aaron on the head lightly, “You moron! Who would believe you?! Was that Selina? Or Jiro?”

“The call was for me.” Aaron replied.

Wu Chun moaned again, “How dumb are you? Of course it was for you that was why you were talking into the phone ok? You give me headaches. I’m going back to sleep now.”

“But it’s only in the afternoon!” Aaron shouted after Wu Chun, but he ignored him and closed the door to his bedroom.

Aaron stared back at the phone and sighed. Selina was still at it.

It was 8 and dark by now and Aaron figured it would be about time to help Jiro out. He exited Wu Chun’s house silently so that he wouldn’t notice and got into his car then drove off. He stopped in front of their house and stepped out of his car. When the door opened he saw a pale, thin Selina standing in the doorway.

Aaron gave her a smile, “You look worse than last time.”

Selina laughed a little and let him in, “Jiro’s not home.”

“Oh I’m not here for him,” Aaron told. “Lets get you out of the house and go for some fresh air, ok?”

Selina frowned, “Why?”

“Come on. Go put on a jacket I’ll be waiting for you,” Aaron urgedd as he pushed Selina up the stairs.