Chapter 16

Ticket To Heaven

They were all out in the waiting room just anticipating what the doctor would have to say about her. Selina stared at the ground moving her gaze to Jiro, who seemed to be thinking of something else every time. A feeling of uneasiness about losing Jiro washed upon her thoughts. She’d heard the name Mod before, she was sure, she just couldn’t remember when or where. Pat, Eric, Aaron, and Wu Chun also seemed to be in a lost state of  mind, which made her even more nervous. When the door opened and the doctor walked out Jiro shot up from his chair.

“What’s wrong with her?” Jiro questioned.

“It doesn’t look good,” told the doctor. “She seems to have been depressed for a while but for now she’s just sleeping so don’t get too upset.”

“Can we visit her?” Jiro asked.

“Yes but don’t stay too long,” the doctor told and walked away.

Selina watched as Jiro headed in half wondering if he still remembered about her. As they all entered only Aaron and Wu Chun stood there with her.

“I don’t know if it’s alright for me to go in,” Selina told. “It feels strange.”

“She’s just a friend,” Wu Chun assured. “Don’t worry too much about it.”

Even as Wu Chun tried to make her feel better when Selina looked at Aaron’s worried face she knew something serious was wrong just as she felt that Jiro was deeply involved. Selina bit her lip and glanced in the room to find Jiro sitting next to the bed. A confused feeling of disappointment made her heart sink.

“Tell Jiro I’ll go home first,” Selina told and walked away.

“I’ll go with you,” Wu Chun said turning to Aaron before following Selina out.

They had walked out to the parking lot only to see sky was dark now and light stars hung in the sky. It was telling of how much time had passed by since they'd arrived at the hospital.

“Selina, wait!” Wu Chun shouted running the rest of the way to catch up to her.

Selina stopped as Wu Chun came to a pause beside her.

“What are you doing? Shouldn’t you be inside with the rest?” questioned Selina.

Wu Chun smiled, “It’s not safe for a lady to be alone in the streets at night you know? I’ll take you home.”

Selina nodded agreeing. The drive home felt long and distorted somehow. On the way to the house Chun had the radio in hopes of comforting Selina, but the radio speakeras talked on Selina could only think of the name Mod, then suddenly it came back. The night Aaron had first spoken to them he’d mentioned that name but Jiro had shut him up. ‘What could it have been about? Is Jiro hiding something?’ Selina wondered. Wu Chun parked the car in front of the house and Selina unbuckled the seat belt starting to get out of the car when she noticed that Wu Chun was doing the same thing.

“I’ll go in myself,” Selina said. “I’ll see you sometime.”

“Are you sure?” questioned Wu Chun.

“Yea, bye,” Selina finished and got out of the car.

Wu Chun watched as Selina entered her house biting his lip hoping that Selina wouldn’t be in too much pain.

Selina looked around the house finally realizing how big it was and recalled Jiro’s words that it’d be pretty empty with just the two of them.

“It feels emptier when it’s just me here,” Selina said aloud to herself.

That night Selina could not bring herself to fall asleep. Something just disturbed her, something about Jiro, something about Mod, something about Wu Chun, and something about the way Aaron had acted.

When Selina awoke the next morning she hurried downstairs and poked her head in the kitchen expecting to see Jiro cooking breakfast but no one was there. A wave of disappointment rushed through her. Selina took a big breath and smiled to create some self motivation and walked toward the fridge pulling out some food and minutes later she was walking in the hospital with a lunchbox for Jiro. Selina climbed up the stairs excited.

_*_*_*_*_*_

Jiro had fallen asleep with his head down in his arms that morning. Mod had awoken hours later to find Jiro’s head on the bed next to her arm. A warm feeling of love rushed through her. It’d been months of being worried sick about Jiro that it was such a big relief to see him alive and well. She smiled as she reached her hand forward to his hair just to make sure that she wasn’t seeing things. As she slightly touched Jiro’s hair he moved slightly and opened his eyes looking up almost forgetting where he was. When his sight cleared up he half expected Selina to be there but instead saw Mod. Jiro sat straight up his heart beat quickening.

“You’re awake,” Jiro said.

Mod smiled and Jiro found that it made him feel good to see it once more. Her face was pale and she looked tired, it made him worry. Noticing that her smile was still on her face Jiro frowned.

“Something wrong?” asked Jiro.

Mod shook her head, “It’s just good to see you. Where did you go?”

Jiro didn’t respond for quite a while. Mod’s eyes did not go off his face.

“It’s ok if you don’t want to tell me,” Mod said.

Afraid her feelings were hurt Jiro lied, “I was in Hong Kong for a while…you know trying to make some money.”

Mod bit her lip, “Are you still going to keep your promise?”

Jiro looked at her, “Promise?”

“The ring promise,” Mod said lightly holding up her left hand.

A rush of guilt swept throughout Jiro. He was already married.

“We should focus on your health first,” Jiro explained.

“Is something wrong?” Mod asked. “You look like you’re hiding something.”

Jiro gulped, “No…remember there’s no secret between us?”

Mod smiled as she gripped his hand, “Yea I remember. I’m so happy to see you. After I get out lets go to our favorite place.”

Jiro nodded in reply having no idea that Selina had heard everything. Selina clutched onto the lunchbox tightly leaning against the wall afraid that if Jiro saw her she wouldn't know what to do. She was confused about why Jiro would lie. Why would he? The ring promise what did that mean? Selina turned around and stopped when she saw Wu Chun standing a few feet away from her. It looked like he’d just gotten there. Selina gulped her shout of surprise down being cautious about not making any noise.

“Did something happen?” questioned Wu Chun. “You’re here early.”

Selina looked around trying to think of something to say and an idea came to her.

“Oh…I…uh…I brought breakfast,” Selina said, “you wouldn’t mind eating it would you?”

“For me? Really?!” questioned Wu Chun happily.

Selina found herself sitting outside at a picnic table and while Wu Chun was stuffing himself she found herself trying to find an answer to the conversation she just heard.

“I’m pretty sure Jiro would be mad if he knew that I ate your food,” Wu Chun told. “This is pretty good. You know Jiro makes pretty good food too, surprising thing is he was forced to learn but he found out that he loved it in the end. You wouldn’t believe who his teacher was.” Wu Chun stopped as he gulped down some water. “Mod taught him all sorts of recipes. He called her his special teacher, but I still think your cooking is better.”

The mentioning of Jiro and Mod made Selina snap back to reality. Selina suddenly remembered when she’d questioned him about his cooking a while ago.

“No wonder he didn’t want to talk about it,” Selina said to herself not being aware that she was speaking aloud. “So she’s that special someone.”

“Who didn’t want to talk about what?” questioned Wu Chun.

Selina turned to him surprised, “I forgot you were here.”

“What were you thinking of?” Wu Chun wondered.

“What’s the relationship between Mod and Jiro?” Selina asked.

This time a serious look covered Wu Chun’s face and he had to look away from her.

“I shouldn’t talk to you about it really,” Wu Chun told, “but I’ll be here to comfort you when you need it.”

“What do you mean by that?” Selina asked. “Why should you comfort me?”

Wu Chun didn’t say anymore but placed his hand on her shoulder. Just the look from him made Selina not want to enter the hospital anymore. Once Selina got back she found herself sitting alone lost in thought not even aware of the time. When the door opened and closed she turned to see Jiro walk in.

“You’re home,” Selina said.

“You’re still up?” Jiro asked.

Selina’s smiled disappeared, “Why? Is something up?”

“No,” Jiro replied, “it’s just that it’s late.”

Selina turned to look at the clock. It was nearly 12.

“I didn’t notice,” Selina told. “Are you hungry?”

Jiro shook his head no, “I ate at the hospital.”

“Oh,” was all Selina could mumble out.

“I’ll be going to sleep,” Jiro said and went up the stairs.

Selina stood glued to her spot feeling like a fool. She’d waited for him when he didn’t need her to. A feeling of sadness grew in her.

Selina awoke in the morning to find Jiro gone. She still hurried downstairs hoping he’d be in the kitchen but only found a few plates of food freshly cooked on the table along with a note. “By the time you wake up I should be gone. I’ll be at work. If you need anything call me.” Signed by Jiro at the bottom.

Selina sat down and listened to the silence of the house as she finished the food. She sat around for a while and cleaned the house up just to make use of the time she had. Around noon she decided to go out for a short stroll and as Selina waited for the street to clear up she remembered something that had happened when she had just came to Taipei. It was when she had crossed the street and was pushed down by a man. Thinking back and realizing how worried Jiro had been about her bleeding knee made her happy now. As the street cleared up a little Selina took a few steps into the street and paused her eyes widening just as a car came rushing around the corner at her. The car came to a fast stop and a man came running out to find Selina sitting dazed on the ground.

“I’m so sorry! Are you alright?” the man asked.

Selina blinked a few times just to make sure that she was still alive and glanced up at the man almost recognizing him.

“Yea I think so,” Selina told as he helped her up to her feet.

“Are you sure you can walk?” he asked.

“I’m pretty sure so,” Selina replied.

“Maybe we should go check your leg out,” he suggested worriedly.

“I’m ok really. You didn’t hit me,” Selina assured.

“It’ll be better to find out if you’re hurt now then to find out later,” he pointed out, “I can help pay for any expenses, since it’s my fault. It’ll make me feel better that way.”

“Ok,” Selina agreed.

Selina walked out of the hospital after a short doctor checkup. Nothing was wrong with her.

“Aren’t you grateful we came for a checkup anyway,” the man joked.

Selina frowned at him, “You’re paying the fee.”

The man smiled and crossed his arms, “Actually it was an excuse, but it was coincidental that I ran into you again.”

“Again?” Selina asked.

“You walked into the street the other time,” he began.

Selina’s eyes widened as she turned to him, “Oh that! I knew you seemed a little familiar too.”

He smiled, “I’m Danson.”

“Selina,” Selina replied. “And what was an excuse?”

Danson gave a small laugh embarrassed he even brought it up, “It’s just…you remind me of my ex. I hope you don’t mind.”

Selina smiled and laughed finding it funny.

“Your ex?” Selina asked.

“Weird huh?”

Selina pressed her lips together than said, “No it’s not weird. Really.”

“I’m about hungry,” Danson changed the subject, “would you like to grab a bite?”

Selina raised her eyebrow repeating, “Grab a bite.”

“You can count that as an excuse,” Danson said, “to be honest I don’t want to eat alone. It gets boring.”

“I don’t like to either,” Selina added remembering how she’d been eating alone the days Jiro wasn’t home.

As Danson drove around Selina found herself wondering how she would felt as if she already knew him. Though they’d just met and started talking she felt so comfortable with him as if he was her best friend. ‘He might think I look like his ex but he doesn’t seem to have much of an intention’ Selina thought to herself.

“It seems like I’ve become a little bit smarter,” Selina said to herself.

“What was that?” asked Danson as he drove into the parking lot of a fast food restaurant.

Selina shook her dismissing the subject and they walked inside. Throughout dinner Selina talked about her life in the village and how different it was compared to the busy city.