Chapter 25

Ticket To Heaven

“Are…are you sure it’s alright? Couldn’t we head back or something?” questioned Selina uneasy with the idea of his grandparents being around. ‘What if they suspect something? Or what if something happens would I have to end up marrying again? No, no that’s just crazy. Nothing can happen.’ Selina’s panicked thoughts came.

Seeing the look on her face Danson assured her, “Don’t worry. They’re nice folks besides we can’t head back in this storm.”

Selina stared up at the sky and gulped as she pushed the car door open. Danson led the way into the long rectangle house explaining he’d kept the key just in case he’d want to come back. Although it was just a farm the house was pretty expensive looking. The walls inside were painted all red and full with family pictures, which made Selina miss her home even more. Light green colored furniture were in the living room with a TV in the wall and a fire place to the side. It looked very homey to Selina.

The more they walked in the more Selina envied the house. ‘If only Jiro and I could live like this…then what?’ she thought to herself.

There was the noise of someone cooking in the kitchen when they entered a hallway. Danson turned back with a smile and made a motion for Selina to follow quietly. As they neared the yellow kitchen Danson jumped screaming “Theif!”

Grandma Tang turned around screaming shocked holding onto a large butcher knife. Danson froze in his spot with a nonstop scream. Selina watched amused as Grandma Tang continued to scream and Danson screamed back in fear of the knife.

With a quick motion of Grandma Tang’s hand she flipped the knife onto it’s dull side and gave Danson a light hit on the side of his head.

“You stupid kid!” Grandma Tang scolded. “I would have cut you in half.”

“Sorry Grandma,” Danson apologized like a little 5 year old kid as he rubbed the side of his head. “But that hurt.”

Grandma Tang was about to argue back when she noticed a girl standing by the door of the kitchen. A smile popped onto her face as she moved her eyes back to Danson.

“Who’s this pretty lady?” questioned Grandma Tang. “Your girlfriend Danson?”

Danson frowned and turned back to Selina then laughed quickly walking over to her.

“No Grandma,” Danson told, “she’s a friend. Her name’s Selina.”


“No way!” Grandma Tang said. “Impossible! How can a pretty girl be friend? You said the next time you came back you’d bring your wife! Tell me the truth, you’re lying right? He’s lying right girl?”

Selina stared back at Grandma Tang surprised hoping that Grandma Tang had not really just said that.

“Hey Selina my grandma’s almost done with dinner. Why don’t you go wash up a bit? The bathroom's at the end of the hallway over there,” Danson told as he wheeled Selina out of the kitchen.

“Ok,” Selina muttered.

Danson turned back into the kitchen, “Grandma…”

Selina smiled slightly at them happy to know they were having fun. ‘Danson must be happy to be back. Anybody can just tell by looking at him.’ Selina thought. ‘But I can’t even head back to my family.’ Selina found the bathroom and the water rinsing her face.

After Selina dried herself up she exited out of the bathroom intending to go and take a stroll outside when she noticed that one door was tightly shut while all others were left open. Frowning with curiosity Selina walked toward the door and grabbed the doorknob to find it turning. The room was dark so Selina looked to her right to find a light switch next to the door. As the lights Selina noticed a bed to the right positioned against the wall and a little window behind the bed. The walls and ceiling were all a happy blue. A wooden desk with shelves above it stood against the wall next to the wall just ahead of her. Selina noticed that a large thick book was on the desk. Wondering what could be in it Selina grabbed it and started paging through it surprised to find that it was Danson’s journal.

“June 25: I’ve finally come to Taipei. It’s very lonely here and I’m not used to the silence. It’s only me alone here with grandma and grandpa who had gladly taken me in. I have to admit I miss my family but I can’t forgive them for making me leave her. I just can’t. All this anger I just can’t forget it. Why should my mom’s past be a burden to me? It’s not fair, it just isn’t. I have done nothing wrong and she hasn’t done anything wrong. Loving isn’t a crime. So long as two people love each other no one has the right to tear them apart.”

Selina quickly shut the journal finding that she couldn’t go on with reading anymore. What Danson was writing Selina could understand. ‘He must have been through so much pain. If only I could be that strong…’ Selina found herself thinking.

“Who are you?” a voice asked.

Selina spun around to find an old man standing there at the doorway.

“Oh sorry,” Selina apologized as she put the journal back on the edge of the desk.

As Selina turned to walk out the book suddenly fell to the floor stopping her. Selina glanced at who she assumed was Grandpa Tang and quickly went to pick up the journal. As she grabbed it a picture came sliding out landing softly on the carpeted floor. Selina reached for the picture finding herself hesitating. As she flipped the picture over to take a glance at it she felt her heart stop. Standing closely together like a loving couple was Danson and Mod, arms around each other.

“What are you making?” questioned Grandpa Tang as he entered the kitchen. “Danson! I was wondering why there was so much noise in here!”

“Hey grandpa.” Danson greeted.

“How’ve you been?” questioned Grandpa Tang giving Danson a slap on the back.

Danson smiled, “Good. Hey grandpa have you met my friend Selina?”

Grandpa Tang turned to look at the dazed Selina, “I found her in your room. Iis she your girlfriend or something?”

“Exactly the same thing I said,” Grandma Tang said turning around. “While they’re here we should just hold a wedding ceremony!”

“Grandma,” Danson said in a serious tone.

Grandma Tang made a face and walked over to Selina, “Come here. Take a seat right next to Danson.”

Selina sat down uneasily wanting to run out of the house. Danson took a seat beside her. Grandma Tang filled the table quickly with a lot of food and as Grandpa Tang sat down they all started to dig in and eat. Selina was half surprised to find that she was actually hungry that she ate a lot.

“That’s more like it. Girls should eat a lot,” Grandpa Tang commented.

“Only girls who are pregnant eat a lot,” Grandma Tang pointed out.

At that remark Selina found herself choking on her food.

“Pregnant? Impossible! Grandma!” Danson said.

“Well, what then? It is true.” Grandma Tang stated. “When I was pregnant with your father I ate twice as much as my husband!”

“Oh please,” Danson complained.

“Pat her back and give her some more water,” Grandpa Tang suggested.

Danson got up and poured some more water for Selina and watched as she gulped it all down.

“Are you ok?” Danson asked.

Selina nodded as she wiped her lips with a napkin.

“So when do you plan to have children?” Grandma Tang questioned.

Selina and Danson looked at each other wide eyed.

“Grandma! We’re not…we’re not like that! We…actually…” Danson began not knowing where to start and how to make it sound right.

“I’m married,” Selina suddenly blurted.

“What?!” both Grandma and Grandpa Tang exclaimed.

Selina looked at them repeating, “I’m married.”

“Danson! How could you?!” Grandpa Tang gasped.

“No! Don’t take it like that! Grandma!” Danson begged.

“I can’t believe you! This is so despicable…” Grandma Tang said.

“Please listen to me,” Selina said. “I…I got into a fight with my husband…Danson was just trying to make me feel better so he brought me here. That’s all nothing’s been going on between us. Sorry for the misunderstanding and I don’t have any intentions of using Danson. I’m sorry.”

Both Grandma and Grandpa Tang looked at her, their expressions were unexplainable.

Grandma Tang took a breath and leaned back in her chair, “Oh God I liked you a lot too. If only you were single you could marry Danson.”

“Mary,” Grandpa Tang said in a warning voice.

Grandma Tang rolled her eyes, “I see. You seemed clearly upset when you stepped into this house too.”

“Don’t worry. You can stay for the night and head back tomorrow when you feel better,” Grandpa Tang said understandingly. “Every time I had a fight with this lady here she’d run off the same too. Only she run halfway down the road and come back crying.” Grandpa Tang gave a loud laugh.

Grandma Tang shot him a glare then turned to Selina, “It’s not that big a deal dear. You still have a long way in your marriage don’t give up like this yet. If you really love each other things will get solved somehow or else why get married in the first place then, am I right?”

Selina gave a small smile but from Danson’s point of view Selina wasn’t feeling at all any better.

_*_*_*_*_*_

Jiro sat around feeling worse and worse but got angrier and angrier. He had only come back home because he had forgotten his cell phone, he had never expected to get into this dumb situation, still his mind kept running that scene over and over. Was Selina and Chun really kissing? Why would Chun like Selina? That thought made Jiro’s blood boil. He felt even more enraged every time he replayed the sight of Danson dragging Selina out of the house. Where could he have taken her? What could they be doing? A one night stand…a one night stand…a one night stand. Impossible! It would never happen! Jiro tightened his fist and grabbed his phone quickly calling Selina only to find that she’d left her cell phone on the table.

“Where are you?” Jiro wondered as he stared out the window and into the rain.

Suddenly the phone rang and Jiro picked it up hoping it was Selina. His happy tone dropped when he heard Mod speaking.

“Could you come over? I feel a little scared.” Mod told.

Jiro stared out into the rain, “I’m sorry. Maybe not tonight, I’ll see you tomorrow ok?”

Jiro hung up the phone and kicked at the ground.

_*_*_*_*_*_

After helping with the dishes and putting them back Selina stepped outside in hopes of feeling better. Though it was raining Selina made her way to the warehouse across from the house, the only building close enough that wouldn't cause her to get soaking wet. It was a little chilly but Selina could care less, she only wanted to be alone.

Taking a seat on dry hay Selina took out the picture. It was Mod Selina was sure of it. The only thing that bothered her was that Danson didn’t recognize her name.