Chapter 18

Ticket To Heaven

Selina smiled standing on the sidewalk outside. She had chosen her best outfit happily knowing Jiro had never failed to show up on time for her. ‘He’d always been there just on time’ she’d thought smiling. She checked the time on her cell phone, it was only 6:48. ‘Still early’ she thought to herself.

_*_*_*_*_*_

After a quick meal and dealing with the bad traffic Jiro and Mod finally made it to her house. Jiro promised himself that he would only help her adjust and to make sure nothing else would happen to her.

“Do you want some tea?” Mod asked.

“A cup of water would be fine,” Jiro told.

As Mod went into the kitchen Jiro took a look around the room. It was all still the same, nothing had changed since he’d last been here. Pictures hung around especially pictures they had taken together as a couple.  Mod came back in and set the cups on the coffee table in the middle of the room.

“Do you still remember taking those pictures?” Mod asked. “You never wanted to smile.”

Jiro glanced at Mod, “Yea, I can recall.”

“Do you want to stay a while?” Mod questioned.

“Sorry, I have an appointment,” told Jiro.

“Oh, ok,” Mod said becoming quiet.

Jiro began to take a step toward the door when Mod’s voice stopped him.

“But could you stay a little bit?” Mod asked her voice shaking. “I…I don’t feel right staying alone. What if you don’t come back?”  

Jiro turned to see tears dropping from her eyes. ‘Did she miss me that much?’ Jiro wondered.

“I stood here alone waiting for you…you never came…” Mod cried and quickly walked over putting her arms around Jiro. “Don’t go please don’t go. You have to stay with me. You can’t go.”

_*_*_*_*_*_

7:01. ‘It’s ok it’s only a minute after 7. Jiro must have some other things going on’ Selina told herself, but as night came along he still didn’t come. Selina watched all the couples walk by hand in hand with big smiles attached to their faces and she couldn’t help but feel a little envious of them. She looked at the time again and looked around. One hour then two hours passed by and her feet was starting to hurt. A feeling of sadness came over her as she realized that he wasn’t coming. Trying to keep her low spirits up she opened her cell phone.

“Danson? Do you think you can come out for a bit?” Selina asked.

Minutes later Danson was making his way toward her. A smile overcame his lips as he recognized Selina’s back.

“Hey,” he greeted tapping her shoulder.

Selina turned around without a smile on.

“What’s wrong?” questioned Danson.

“He always made it on time,” Selina said.

“Are you talking about Jiro?” Danson asked.

Selina bit her lip, “Sorry for having you come out. I hope I’m not bothering you.”

“Anytime is fine, actually I was thinking of coming out myself,” Danson admitted.

Selina was about to go on, but someone’s voice interrupted.

“Selina?” it was Aaron.

As Selina turned to see him she noticed Wu Chun right behind him and he didn’t look too thrilled.

“Oh hi,” Selina greeted.

Aaron looked at Danson, “Who’s your friend?”

“Wu Chun, Aaron, this is Danson and Danson this is Wu Chun and Aaron,” Selina told.

“Hi,” Danson said shaking Aaron’s hand but when he extended it out to Wu Chun he looked away as if he hadn't seen it. Danson smiled and turned to Selina, “Are these your friends?”

“Of course we are,” Wu Chun cut in. “Hey Selina why are you out alone with him? You’d better stick with us if you want to stay on the safe side.”

Selina looked at Wu Chun feeling out of place, “Danson’s a friend too. Why don’t we hang out together?”

As Selina turned to Aaron with a smile Wu Chun quickly sent a glare toward Danson who sent a smirk back.

“That guy seems really jealous,” Danson whispered in Selina’s ear as they stopped at a food stall to buy some food.

Selina turned back to look at Wu Chun, who had crossed his arms then turned back to watch the chef make their food.  She couldn’t have cared less about what would happen next, all that was on her mind was why Jiro didn’t make it.

“Is something wrong? You don’t seem at all yourself today Selina,” Aaron said quietly to her.

“No I’m alright,” Selina lied to Aaron who was sitting next to her.

Aaron puffed his mouth out like a blowfish and raised his eyebrows, “It’s better to talk about what’s on your mind than not to. It can lead to a really bad breakdown later.”

Selina nodded. The only thing she wanted was for Jiro to come and keep his promise. That was all she wanted. As Selina grabbed her spoon every noise that was going on around her seemed to become very quiet. Selina quickly looked up and around to see everyone moving freely, laughing, talking, and shouting to one another. Were her ears failing her again? ‘No, not now, please not now. It can’t happen now’ Selina repeated to herself over and over.

“Selina,” a worried voice said coming into her head.

Selina looked up realizing that she had covered both her ears with her hands. Had she panicked without knowing or had she screamed without being aware of it? She hoped not.

“Are you ok?” Wu Chun asked worriedly.

Selina sat still and silently then suddenly stood up. As Selina began to walk away through the crowd feeling lost and despair Danson quickly followed her.

‘Why am I not normal? Why can’t I be like the others? Be in a happy marriage? Be able to hear? Have a full happy family? Why am I like this? Is it too hard to ask for? Is it too hard for you to be here Jiro?’ she asked to herself.

“Selina!” a loud voice boomed.

Selina quickly turned to see the three guys behind her.

“Where are you going?” Wu Chun asked.

Selina took a close look at each of their faces. They were all practically worried, but Aaron seemed to have some other thoughts on his mind. His face was lowered toward the ground. When he finally looked up their eyes met. He looked as if he wanted to tell her something. ‘I don’t want to know’ Selina thought and quickly turned away.

“Could you take me home Danson?” Selina questioned.

Danson quickly nodded agreeing, “Sure. My car’s just over there.”

“I’ll take you home Selina,” Wu Chun offered.

“It’s ok, I’ll see you two some other time,” Selina said and quickly walked off.

“You alright?” asked Danson as the car started down the road.

“We had a fight yesterday,” Selina told. “He promised he’d be here to meet me tonight, but I guess some things came up.”

Danson smiled, “You seemed a little over exaggerated with your act tonight. What’s with covering your ears?”

Selina quickly turned to look at him and away.

“I’ll tell you some other time,” was all she said until he stopped in front of her house.

After thanking him Selina entered the house to find everything quiet. Jiro hadn’t made it back home and it was now 10.

_*_*_*_*_*_

Jiro carefully pulled the covers over the sleeping Mod. After taking some medicine and eating some food she had quietly gone to sleep. Jiro walked into the kitchen and finished washing the dishes. After he was finished he grabbed his cell phone and glanced at the time. He had wanted to call Selina earlier but Mod had wanted to do so many other things he couldn’t find the chance to do so. He quickly dialed Selina’s number only to find that she’d turned off the phone. After glancing in the room to make sure Mod was asleep Jiro left her apartment. He jogged down the street to the food stalls and stood at the area where Selina had been waiting for him earlier. Jiro glanced around his heart pounding fast only to see that Selina was no where in sight. Giving up after half an hour of search he left.

_*_*_*_*_*_

Selina lay in bed feeling herself drown in questions and big time disappointment. He’d made it to save her every time, he was always able to keep promises made. Had he been with Mod? Selina shook her head squeezing her eyes tightly shut. She didn’t want to think of it as she lay in bed. A while later she heard the door close and could make out Jiro walk up the stairs. She would have woken up to welcome him back home but tonight she didn’t want to do that. If this was his way of wanting to apologize forget it. Selina felt Jiro pull the covers over her and walk into the bathroom. As the door shut Selina sat up and glanced at the digital clock. It was now midnight.