Chapter 37

Ticket To Heaven

It was completely silent the next morning. Jiro had returned home in the middle of the night but had set out in the morning. Feeling sick Selina did not want to get up from where she was laying. She felt like she was having illusions once more. She had just dreamed of life before Pete had passed away and before her father had left them. Her heart ached so much.

Suddenly there was a knock at the door. Selina laid there listening to the knocks and finally got up to open the door. Wu Chun stood there.

“Hey…” Wu Chun started. “You look like you’re sick.”

“No, I’m alright,” Selina replied then stopped when she saw a shadow behind Wu Chun.

“Could I speak with you Selina?” a voice asked.

Wu Chun turned around surprised. Selina’s eyes widened as she recognized Calvin.

“Who are you?” Wu Chun questioned.

Selina stepped out of the house, “Could you leave us for a minute Wu Chun?”

Wu Chun frowned at her and began to retort but decided against it and went into the house closing the door behind him.

“You don’t look too good,” Calvin greeted.

“Why are you here?” asked Selina.

Calvin smiled, “I got the address from your grandpa. Can you believe it? Oh well I guess he believed you and Jiro were doing pretty good so he gave it to me.”

Selina felt like punching the daylights out of him but restrained herself.

“Anyway I just wanted to see you one last time,” Calvin finished taking a seat on the steps.

Selina stared at his back and took a seat by him, “Are you going somewhere with your family?”

“I guess you learned about my wife,” Calvin began. “You’re one yourself.”

“You never told me about her,” Selina told sounding a little upset. “I felt like such a big fool. I’m even forcing myself to talk.”

Calvin laughed a little, “Sorry. I was being an idiot. I see you’re a little in the same situation yourself.”

“It’s different,” Selina told. “Believe me I won’t be like you.”

“Of course,” Calvin said understandingly, “I’ll be in America. My wife persuaded me to move there. Is…that Jiro taking good care of you?”

“Yea,” Selina replied.

“Good to hear. Get well soon,” Calvin smiled. “I just wanted to drop in on you. Well, I’m off now!”

Before Calvin got down the stairs Selina called out his name. Calvin turned around waiting for her to go on.

“Don’t worry I’ll take care of myself,” Calvin said and with a last wave he got into his car and drove off.

“Bye,” Selina said quietly.

A minute after his car had disappeared Selina entered the house again to find Wu Chun standing impatiently there.

“Calvin. Who is he?” he asked in a demanding voice.

Selina shrugged as she rearranged the couch, “If you’re thirsty I believe you can get a drink for yourself.”

“I’m not thirsty,” Wu Chun replied.

“So what do you want?” Selina asked as she sat down.

“Penny called to tell me that your father is doing better now. He’s eating three hospital meals a day now,” Wu Chun told, “shows your blood gave him more energy. So do you want to go visit him?”

Selina was silent for a minute, “No. It’s ok I’m pretty sure he’ll be better soon.”

“Aaron and I were planning to go on a cruise in my boat later, do you want to join us?” Wu Chun questioned.

A cruise…Selina had never been on a boat before.

“Why not?” Selina replied.

Before Selina left the house she scribbled down a note for Jiro in their room because after the boat ride she didn’t plan on returning.

Jiro was glad everything had gone fine he had received Aaron’s call shortly after he had sent Selina home. Jiro was at work and debating whether he should tell the manager that he would be resigning or not.

The waves the water carried was causing a lot of cold wind to blow. Selina could feel her hair flying in the air as she stared out at the small islands miles and and miles ahead that floated upon the wate. She felt as if she was in the middle of nowhere. Other boats were around but they were all far off in the distance that looked like small strange flies. Wu Chun had set out the anchor and had gone up to the top level of the boat to take pictures and Aaron had gone along with him.

Selina stared at the blue water, though they seemed rough they were very calm. She had dreamt that she had gone in the water and Pete had run after her. If she went under again would anyone come save her? Selina shook her head throwing the thought away. Her mother would have no one if she left. Her grandparents would be filled with grief losing another grandchild. Her father would be just fine even though Selina wanted him to care just once.

Unconsciously Selina had climbed onto the edge of the boat and stared out. Why was she thinking so much of Pete now? Was it because she had seen her father? Or because she knew his death was her fault? Selina finally moved her gaze to look down and her heart almost jumped out when she realized what she was doing. Before Selina could take a step back down she lost her balance.