Work

Lyrics of the Heart

He was surprised to find that Ryeowook was already up and walking around the kitchen by the time he was ready for work. He was excited to be getting back to the work he loved, which included preparing for his upcoming concert. However, he felt leaving this kid alone wasn't such a good idea.

It wasn't that he didn't trust Ryeowook, but seeing how clumsy he could be began to worry him.

 

"Wah!"

 

The sudden scream surprised Yesung as he stood to the side, still unnoticed by his new employee. He shook his head, feeling as though he would need some training. He moved to see Ryeowook clearer as the kid played with the laptop and his favorite camera. He smiled to himself, wondering what else could entertain him so easily.

 

"Ryeowook!"

 

He didn't have much time before he had to leave, but he felt the horror as he watched his camera crash to the ground. He walked to Ryeowook, trying to contain the anger that he felt for only a moment.

 

"I'm sorry! I'm really sorry!"

 

He bowed deeply after inspecting the camera. Yesung had to inspect it himself though before accepting the apology. He felt relieved when nothing seemed to be broken. He turned to Ryeowook, his eyes digging into the kid's round ones.

 

"Can I trust you here alone?"

"Y-Yes!"

 

Yesung stared at him for a moment, wondering if he should just take the kid with him. He would feel a lot better about it. He knew it would cause a hassle though. He nodded, slowly turning his back to the kid.

 

"Do me a favor and stay away from anything that could harm you, ok? I have a feeling I'll need to watch you carefully for a while."

 

Ryeowook nodded, placing the camera back to its rightful spot. Yesung shook his head at him, but couldn't help but to form a smile. It was strange how quick it came to worry about him.

 

"Look...I'll be rehearsing all day. I should be back home for dinner though. If you need anything, my cell phone number is on this paper." He placed the notebook paper onto the counter before looking back up. "Remember, I don't need anything broken...so if you do break something it is coming out of your pay."

 

"Alright! I won't break anything!"

 

The kid seemed to have had enough of his joking. He laughed, liking the fact that the kid was able to get defensive so easily. It made it really easy for him to tease.

 

"And, when you make dinner, be careful around the knives! I thought you were going to hurt yourself the other day!"

"Just leave! I don't need anyone to worry about me!"

 

The words struck him, realizing that Ryeowook hadn't had anyone to worry or care about him until now. He smiled, allowing himself to be pushed out of his own house before turning back to Ryeowook. The space between them was closer than he expected, causing him to pause in what he had been about to say. He swallowed when his eyes met Ryeowook's.

 

"Who said you could push the owner out of his own home?"

 

His voice was serious, knowing that Ryeowook would fall for it too easily.

 

"I...I..."

"Lighten up! I'm leaving..."

 

Yesung disheveled his hair before walking to his car. He could hear the frustrated sigh behind him, causing him to laugh. He made one quick stop before rushing to the studio. His manager of course gave him hell for being late once again, but it went in one ear and out the other.

 

He was more excited to see his friends inside of the dance room in which they would be rehearsing for the concert they were sharing. He hadn't seen them since he had been in Japan, so it was a relief to see them once again.

 

"It's not like you to be late." Sungmin noted as Kyuhyun walked away to continue preparing his voice for rehearsal. It had become a habit to practice all of their songs together instead of individually.

 

"You've allowed Eunhyuk and Donghae to get a bit of their dance practice in though." Kyuhyun commented, walking back. He hastily tried to avoid the dancers who were purposely getting in his way. However, they moved smoothly across the dance floor as if they were floating.

 

Rehearsal went smoothly, the routine firmly stuck in their heads as it was the same as the concert's routine.

 

"Heard your solo concert in Japan did well..." Eunhyuk commented, showing a gummy smile. Yesung nodded, smiling back at him. He was happy to be finishing up, as it was already past PM. "We should celebrate...we haven't been over in a while."

 

"I don't think that is a good idea."

"Why??" Sungmin popped up beside him.

"He has a maid at his apartment!"

 

His manager spilled his news before running away so that he couldn't catch him.

 

"A maid?!?!?"

 

 

 

Ryeowook felt lazy as he waited for Yesung to arrive. He had told him that morning that he would be back for dinner, but it almost seemed impossible now. What time did he usually eat dinner? He shook his head, pouting as he watched the door. Somehow, he suddenly felt like a lost puppy who was waiting for it's master.

 

He shook his head. No. Yesung wasn't his master. Yesung was his boss. Just...his boss.

 

He stood up quickly, trying to clear his mind of any strange thoughts. He was reminded though of how close Yesung had been to him that morning. He perked up though when he could hear people talking and the front door unlocking.

 

He went to stand in front of the door, glancing behind him at the clean kitchen. He had made sure it was perfectly clean before Yesung returned. Dinner was safely in the refrigerator as well. However, he wasn't expecting the amount of people that followed Yesung inside.

 

"Oh! Ryeowook." Yesung didn't explain anything, but rather stared at him for a moment.

 

"Ryeowook?!? Oh, he's precious Yesung!"

 

A boy with longer hair than him smiled widely from beside Yesung. He glanced between the two, feeling confused at what was happening.

 

"Ryeowook, these are my friends. Eunhyuk, Donghae, Sungmin and Kyuhyun. They will be performing in the concert with me."

 

Finally he explained, but he still didn't know what to do. He wasn't sure what he should do in this situation. He could feel his face burning up in embarrassment.

 

"I'm sorry, I'm Ryeowook." He decided to introduce himself first, not sure if this is what he should do. "I'm Yesung's...maid."

 

The word seemed wrong, like there should be something else he could be called. He stared at Yesung as his friends seemed to introduce themselves individually once again.

 

"Oh! I have food in the fridge. Please, take a seat!"

 

Was this right? He wasn't acting as if he owned this place, right? He wanted to hit himself, realizing he had no idea what he was doing. He could hear a few comments, but couldn't make out what anyone was saying until he entered the living room to place a tray in front of everyone.

 

He had been happy with the success of his cold noodles and side dishes. He was proud to see that everyone was amazed with the presentation of his cooking as well. He bowed, retreating slightly. If anything, he knew that he wasn't supposed to eat with Yesung's guests. He wouldn't want to embarrass him anyway. He silently retreated to his room, sitting on his bed.

 

He felt lonely. He had expected to have a few good words for his employer for teasing him that morning, but with the guests he was too afraid to say anything.

 

"Ryeowook?" He could hear Yesung's voice as though the man was right next to him. A few knocks followed. He stood up, making sure he placed a firm smile on his face as the man entered.

 

"Why don't you come eat with us?"

 

Ryeowook shook his head, avoiding eye contact.

 

"I don't think I'm in the position to do that. Go ahead and eat, I'm going to go to bed."

"Oh? Why is my employee not listening to me?"

 

Ryeowook stayed silent, his eyes locked on the carpet. So here it came. The fact that he didn't know how to be a maid was going to be spilled right now.

 

"Ryeowook?"

"Fine! I don't know how to be a maid! I don't know if I am doing anything right! I don't know!"

 

He didn't know what caused him to throw a tantrum, but the tears weren't helping. He turned away from Yesung, hiding his face.

 

He was surprised when he felt a rough hand on his shoulder, pulling him to face Yesung but pushing him back against the wall all at the same time. He realized that he was trapped between Yesung's two arms, their faces only an inch or two apart.

 

"All you need to do is listen to me."

"That's not all a maid does. I don't even know how to greet the people you bring into your home."

 

He moved slightly closer, their bodies touching causing an electric shock between them.

 

"Is that the only reason you are upset?"

 

Ryeowook stared angrily at him. He didn't want to be teased, but he most certainly wasn't going to tell the truth. He tried to push the taller man away, but he refused.

 

"Is that the only reason?"

 

His voice invaded his ears along with the warm breath. He froze, his eyes widening from the weird feeling traveling up his spine.

 

"It wouldn't have to do with the fact that you waited for me all day? You waited for me all day and I came home with people you didn't know?"

 

He hit Yesung before he knew what he was doing. Yesung didn't even flinch, but rather smiled.

 

"So that's it?" Yesung whispered before crushing their bodies in a hug. He refused to let go, no matter how Ryeowook struggled.

 

"I'll teach you then. I'll teach you everything that you need to do...Kim Ryeowook."