Pathetic.

After Every Storm, There's Always A Rainbow

"Unnie...

 

Eun Jung was still crying, her clothes were wet, and she was still  wearing her school shoes. At that moment she looked just like me, drenched in the rain and still having my shoes on. 

 

"Shh...shh..don't cry anymore...shh..I'm here..." I held her close and her hair. She was shivering. I touched her forehead and she was burning up. Without hesitating I lifted her up and carried her  to our room. That was when I noticed something strange. Our house was in a mess.

 

Shaking that thought away I quickly laid Eun Jung on the bed and went to get some towels. Where are my parents? Then, another thought came to me. I quickly went to my parent's room. Surprisingly, it was much cleaner  than the rest of the house. Their bed was made and not a single clothing was on the floor. Clothing... Clothes...I quickly opened their cupboard.

 

It was empty. Completely bare.

 

"They ran away..." Somehow I knew this day would come. I've caught Mom taking out their luggage a few days ago and when I asked her why she just said, "Just trying to clean up the house a bit.." She said. But her eyes showed something else. Fear. Guilt. Betrayal. And eversince then, I've been watching both my parents closely. And sure enough they showed signs of wanting to run away. Mom and Dad kept having suspicious conversations with each other in the kitchen every night. And in between they kept looking at me and my sister. My sister. Suddenly I remembered that my sister was having a fever and ran back to our room with the towels, a basin of water and clean, dry clothes for her.

 

An hour later Eun Jung went to sleep. She told me that she was on the way home from school when she saw Mom and Dad getting into a cab with a big luggage. She tried chasing them but the cab was too fast. She searched everywhere for them until it started raining. Eun Jung was scared of the sound of thunder so she gave up and ran back home. Whenever it's raining, she always hides in our cupboard. No wonder her clothes were wet. I looked around the house..no money, food, or anything that my parents left behind for us. 

 

They abandoned us. They couldn't afford taking care of us and just fled. They left us. Some kind of parents they are. Pathetic and selfish.

 

Well, at least I don't have to tell them about what happened at school anymore. But then it occurred to me, how are we suppose to live without money?
I need to get a job. Fast.

 

I still have some savings in my bank account. Savings that was meant for me to continue my studies to be a doctor overseas. Whenever Dad gave me my allowance, I'd deposit half of it in the bank and the rest for luch at school. Which wasn't enough. All I could afford was milk and a small piece of bread. There were also days when I had no money and just stayed in class during luch break. But my bestfriend Taemin was always there to accompany me. Sometimes, he'd even bring packed food from his house just for me. But he's been busy these few days eversince he got accepted to become a trainee at SM Entertainment. That was his dream, to be a dancer. Hold on a minute....Taemin! I quickly took out my phone.

 

"Hey, it's me..It's been awhile. How are things? 
 Listen, do you have time? I need to tell you something important.
 Meet me at the cafe once you get this text okay?
 I really need to see you right now.
 -Min Jung
"

 

"Please reply soon..." I changed to warmer clothes, checked up on Eun Jung who was still sound asleep, grabbed my keys and went out.