Chapter 5

Escaping

They heard him sobbing as soon as they got to the main level.

It was heart-wrenching, hearing such painful sobs coming.

Taemin wanted to cry with Jonghyun-hyung, because he knew how much his hyung was going through, and because when ever one of the members cried, it made him want to cry too.

They saw him slouched against the wall of the main lobby, head in his hands and his shoulders shaking. Giant sobs sent harsh tremors through his spine every second or two.

"Hyung..." Key's voice sounded as though he were about ready to cry as well. Taemin watched Minho put an arm around Key from the corner of his eye.

Everyone but manager-hyung and Onew, for reasons no one but himself knew, took a step towards Jonghyun in concern, hoping to cheer him up, but the manager told them no and ordered them to get to the van now.

Minho, Key and Taemin looked at one another, then at Jonghyun, and lastly at Onew, who hadn't spoken a word or looked at anyone the entire time, before making their decision. They where not willing to leave either one of them in this state, but they did as asked and reluctantly shuffled out the doorway, not wishing to face the wrath of the manager more than necessary.

They crossed the parking lot and walked to the company van, Key pulling open the door for the three of them. Just as Taemin was about to climb in, his foot already on the rung, he noticed Onew come out of the building, which slightly surprised him. If Onew was out here that meant that the manager had kicked him out too, which also meant that Jonghyun was being screamed at inside.

 



Onew was the last to climb in the van and for a while, no one spoke. The silence wasn't as tense as it was on the walk through the company, it was more awkward than tense, but it was still there...lurking in the shadows of every member's minds, because they all knew what the outcome of this situation could mean.

Jinki felt their eyes on him as he stared down at his slightly shaky hands, knowing that they were worried and concerned.

He hated that they were so concerned for him.

A gentle hand on his shoulder made him jump in surprise. He fought the urge to turn around, knowing that if he did, he'd break down again upon seeing their faces, so concerned, so caring, and filled with so much love for him. He didn't want to see that love - not when he was about to betray them.

"Hyung?"

Onew sighed, already fighting off tears.

Taemin.

"Hyung?" Taemin repeated. "Are you alright?" The concern in his voice was enough to send tears to Onew's eyes again and he blinked them away rapidly.

"You haven't said a word." Key  added, his voice equally concerned.

When Onew didn't answer, Minho spoke.

"You can tell us, hyung." He paused for a couple of slow seconds. "Did manager-sunbaenim talk to you after I left? Is that why you're acting like this?" Minho hesitated again, then spoke again, almost in a whisper. "Is he going to punish us?"

Taemin stiffened and Key whimpered slightly. 

They all hated being beat.

Onew flinched. Clever Minho. Ever observant Minho. But you're wrong about one thing...he's not going to punish you - I  am.

He stiffed a small sob and clenched his fists, unintentionally letting the three other boys know that Minho had hit the nail right on the head with his question.

For some reason, Minho's words fueled anger in him though. Maybe it was because he hated that his band members were able to pinpoint exactly what was bothering him, that they all were able to read him like an open book. A book that was unwilling to be read.

Or maybe it was because he had finally had to come to terms with the truth.

But he took hold of the sudden anger and wrenched it back into it's small metal cage, not fully understanding why he got gotten mad at Minho, but determined that it wouldn't happen again. He was not the type of person that got angry for no reason. Besides, these boys where all he had. He couldn't push them away when he needed them most.