Chapter 4

Escaping

I want Jonghyun punished.

Those words made Onew's blood run cold, sweat break out on his forehead, and his breath catch in his throat.

He had never, ever beaten the members. He had only scolded them when they did something wrong, or gently cuffed them upside the ear. A broom had never touched their skin that was held by his own hands - and he wanted to keep it that way.

The manager saw the hesitation in his eyes and pushed his forearm harder against Onew's throat, making him wince and blink back tears.

"If you don't do it," the older man snarled, "I will. And I won't stop."

Onew's eyes widened in horror and fear.

"And you know what ever punishment one member gets -"

"We all get..." Onew managed to choke out, lowering his eyes. "And I get double."

The manager gave a slight nod of his head.

"Good boy. You've learned something." He sneered.

The tears threatened to fall and Onew tried his hardest to swallow them back, but one or two managed to escape.

He couldn't hurt Jonghyun. He couldn't hurt his best friend. He couldn't.

That also meant, if he had to be the one to deal Jonghyun's punishment, that he had to do the same to the rest of the members. He didn't want them to be in pain because of him. He didn't want them to hate him too.

Onew shook his head slowly, tears freely flowing down his cheeks, his bottom lip quivering, his nose running, his eyes pleading and his heart breaking.

"N-no," He whimpered, snuffing the snot back in so he could breath. "Please. I-I'll ta-take the p-punishment..." He took a deep breath, trying to calm himself down. "I'll take it instead of them. Please! Please."

The manager shook his head sharply, disgusted and impatient with the blubbering teenager in front if him.

He removed his arm from Onew's neck and watched as SHINee's leader slid to the ground, his head in his hands.

"No. They will all be punished. I'll deal with your punishment later - after you've dealt with the others." The manager added quietly when he heard the sound of footsteps coming down the hallway.

"Get up!" he hissed, glancing worriedly over his shoulder before grabbing Onew's arm and tugging him to his feet. "Don't tell anyone about this."

Onew didn't respond, wiping at his eyes furiously with his coat sleeve. He probably wouldn't have been able to choke an answer out, even if he wanted to. 


Seconds after Onew had managed to calm himself down and slow his breathing, Minho slipped around the corner closely followed by Key and Taemin.

Onew kept his gaze to the floor, not wanting to look at his dongsaengs and see their concerned gazes, knowing that he would have to betray their trust in a few short hours.

Jonghyun... Why did you have to do this to yourself? To us?
 



Taemin winced when he noticed the scowl their manager gave him and Key when Minho returned with them in tow.

Not looking the manager-hyung in the eye, he slipped past him into the door he had opened, following Onew up the stairs.