Chapter 34

Escaping

"Anyeonghaseyo! We are the shining -  SHINee!"

Onew, Taemin, Minho, and Key dropped their fists, but maintained their fake smiles, eager not to show the fans how stressed out they all were.

The thousands of fans before them cheered, almost loud enough to deafen a person, and waved their glow sticks in the air.

Onew bowed to them with a smile and thanked them for supporting them, while the other three got into position for their first song of the night - Lucifer.

His heart was pounding so hard that he was positive everyone could hear it, even past the screams. He could feel his pulse, steady and strong, in his head. He gulped, his lips. His tongue felt dry in his mouth and he had no idea why he was so nervous. Stage-fright had left him long ago, after their first ten concerts or so as a group, so he had no idea why it was bothering him again now. Possibly, Jonghyun had something to do with it.

He hurriedly made his way behind Taemin and Key, beside where Jonghyun was supposed to be. A usual back-up dancer and trainee at their company was there instead, making Onew feel slightly lonely.

This wasn't their first concert without Jonghyun, no, they had done a few without him before because he had been sick, but it didn't make it any weirder to be without him on stage. This was the first time though, that they would be going on stage and knowing that they probably never attend a concert alongside him again.

Onew watched Taemin tense in front of him, and realized that the music had started in their in-ears and he hadn't been paying any attention. He mentally swore when he missed the first hand motion they were to do for the dance. 

He was so going to get it when this concert was over.

He laughed at himself for making such a mistake, causing the fans to laugh with him, and Minho to turn around to smirk at him.

Onew cleared his throat quietly, looking away from Minho with a tiny, but sheepish, grin of his own, and ignored the fans as he prepared to sing his part.

"Soomeul gotgo chatji mothae naneun -" 


Jonghyun was watching the concert on the TV in the living room. He was at the dorm alone, though that was to be expected. 

He watched, biting his lip, as SHINee stepped onto stage. He could see the tension in their bodies. He could see the nervousness in their eyes. He could also see how tired they were and out how out-of-it they all looked. They hide everything behind fake smiles, but he could tell - because he knew them better than he knew himself.

They introduced themselves, one by one, then went into their greeting. "Hello! We are the shining - SHINee!"

The lights dimmed, making the fans scream louder, and then the music to Lucifer shot out of the speakers just as flames shot out from around the stage. 

He felt his heart race with fear when he noticed Onew hadn't been paying attention when the beginning of the dance began.

No, hyung! Focus! You can't mess up now! With you gone, the company will be even tougher on you for making a mistake!

Luckily, Onew seemed to snap to attention again quickly, amending his mistake hurriedly and then going smoothly into song after laughing at himself. 

Jonghyun found himself grinning. 

"Whatever he does it's Onew Condition~" He found himself singing unconsciously.

The rest of the performance went flawlessly, except for the back-up dancer that had taken his spot in the dance was clearly nervous and made a few minor mistakes. They survived through Lucifer, Juliet, and Replay without any major mistakes.

Jonghyun was proud of Taemin, so proud that his chest felt as though it were about to burst. Their maknae had taken over all his parts, some lines Onew had been given, and had performed his long note in Lucifer perfectly with only the slightest waver in his voice. He was screaming and clapping almost as loud as the fans were when Taemin had ended the note. Taemin had looked proud of himself when he stepped back into his own spot in the dance - and Jonghyun was glad that Taemin had gotten the chance to realize that he could belt out such a note. Their maknae had never been confident about his singing abilities. 

See? I knew they'd be okay!

He couldn't deny the fact that it hurt to see them on stage without him, but he was proud of them and he wished he were there to congratulate them on a good concert.

He smiled sadly as he watched them exit the stage. He felt tears run down his face and he whipped them away furiously, embarrassed. 

Why the hell am I crying?!

Because you miss them.

"No, I don't." 

It was no use convincing himself otherwise though. He knew he did.

With a sigh, he lifted the remote to turn off the channel when he froze, hearing the doorknob rattle.

! No one is supposed to be home yet!

His heart racing, he grabbed his crutches and hobbled to Siwon and Eunhyuk's room as fast as he could.

Just as the door opened, he managed to get inside the room but he wasn't safe yet.

Pure white terror surged through his veins, making him tremble and giving him adrenaline. He just barely managed to pull out the bed underneath Siwon's and dive under it, hauling his crutches with him.

He really hoped who ever it was didn't look in this room. Surely they would notice that the bed wasn't in all the way...There was no way he'd be able to fix it now without being seen.

"I can't believe I left those papers here..." Muttered a voice Jonghyun didn't recognize from the living room.

Their manager?

"Why is the TV still on? Aish...those boys."

Jonghyun forced himself to relax.

It's going to be okay...

He nervously his phone between his fingers. Leeteuk said to call him if anything was wrong. He hoped it didn't come to that. 


A/N: Hey guys! Well, I'll be leaving to visit my grandparents tomorrow. I'll be gone for two or more weeks, so there won't be any updates until I get back. T.T I'm really sorry...I wish I could write while I'm down there but they don't have internet at their house, so I won't be able to do that. I promise though, that I'll update a day or two after I get back. :) Please, wait for me! XD I know this chapter is really short too...and I left you in a bad spot, but...that's all I had time to write today. I apologize if it's crappy too. I wrote it hurriedly so I was able to give you all an update...Thanks everyone! :D I love you all!