Chapter 1

Escaping

“It’s just when you want – no, need – people to be there for you, they’re not. They’re a million miles away...and when you think someone is totally reliable and trustworthy, you’ve built your whole life around them, then it turns out they were never that person.”



No one was certain how it happened, why it happened or even what for sure had caused it - they just knew that it had happened and it could have been the biggest mistake of Jonghyun's life. 

The five members of SHINee had been sitting at the large table in the conference room with their manager, answering questions about their newest album Lucifer, when the event took place.

Unfortunately, even though the reporters had been given specific questions to ask so the company could give SHINee the specific answers to those questions, one of them had strayed off topic and had began asking Jonghyun about his relationship with Shin Se Kyung, his girlfriend as of a couple of weeks ago.

Onew hadn't been paying much attention to the reporter's questions. He had been more focused on talking to their manager quietly about their trip to Taiwan. He had noticed though, that Jonghyun was feeling uncomfortable talking about his love life. He had mentioned to Onew earlier that he didn't want to speak much about Se Kyung...not until fans accepted her a little more. He also heard Jonghyun politley ask the reporter to please change the subject.

Onew turned his head to whisper to Taemin, repeating what their manager had told him, when suddenly Jonghyun's clenched hands slammed down on the table, making the room go deathly quiet. Taemin and Key had nearly jumped a foot in the air at the sudden loud noise, because they were both on either side of him. Onew jumped as well, startled, and peered up at Jonghyun with confused, scared eyes. Minho just stared at Jonghyun, peering over Key, his eyes wide with shock.

Everyone at the table had mixed emotions cross in their eyes and on their face.

Jonghyun stood up so quickly that his chair hit the ground, further startling Onew and the others.

Onew had never, ever, seen Jonghyun so angry and, for a second, it scared him. 

The fear of him was short-lived, however, when he saw Jonghyun open his mouth to begin screaming at the reporter. It was replaced with utmost horror when he realized that the company would do all in it's power to punish Jonghyun for this.

Don't do this Jonghyun. Please don't do this. You are making the biggest mistake of your life.

He felt Taemin fumble for his hand for a second before finding it and squeezing it in worry. Onew squeezed his hand back, but other than that the room was still.

Everyone was so surprised that no one spoke, or even moved while Jonghyun verbally lashed out at the reporter, telling the middle-aged man to stop prying into other people's business, to change the subject when the person is uncomfortable, and, what surprised Onew the most: "Don't you DARE talk about Se Kyung like that! She's a better person than you'll EVER be!"

What exactly had the reporter said?