Chapter 22

Escaping

Jonghyun didn't really know why he was crying his eyes out, but maybe it had finally hit him. Maybe it finally hit him that he had left SHINee, he had left behind his dreams, left behind his second family, and had abandoned his best friends without even saying goodbye. 

Maybe it had finally hit him that he no longer was living in the luxurious, 'perfect' life as an idol - but living not knowing if he'd ever find another job to put food other than ramen on his table. 

It had happened all so fast that it had taken a little while for his brain to catch up to reality.

But with Kyuhyun's call, he finally realized what he had done. 

And he was scared because right now he didn't know what to do and a part of him wanted to go back to the dorm. A part of him wanted to be told that it was okay by the one person he really wanted to see right now.

"Where are you?" 

Jonghyun had momentarily forgotten that he had been on the phone with Kyuhyun, and he felt sweat break out on his forehead at those words, even though he badly wanted someone to be there with him.

"I...I -" He trusted Kyuhyun. He trusted him with his life, but he still wasn't sure if he wanted to tell him where he was at. What if the company sent someone to follow him? What if they forced him to come back?

"Jonghyun...you know you can trust me. I wouldn't tell a single soul, not even my own teammates, even though they're just as worried about you as I am. I swear to you I won't give anyone your address." There was a desperate tone in Kyuhyun's voice.

"A-Are you sure n-no one w-will follow you?"

"I'll make sure no one follows me, Jonghyun."


After he was certain that Minho had gone to bed, Onew peeked his head out from his room.

Key was still in the shower, taking advantage of having one less person to share the hot water with.

The living room was empty and dark, just like he needed.

Onew crept his way into Key's room, opening the door as quietly as he could (which was easier said than done when you're nearly drunk) so he didn't wake up Taemin.

Somehow, Taemin didn't wake up despite all the noise Onew was making, allowing Onew to continue with his plan.

Now where does he keep his phone...?

He found Key's phone lying on his bed, looking as though it had been thrown there before Key left the room to take a shower.

Onew picked it up and left the room as quickly as he could, not even bothering to close the door behind him.

His head was spinning sickingly by the time he got to his own room and he had to sick down on his bed for a couple minutes for it to stop and for his vision to return to normal.

Now he remembered why he hated drinking. It was going to be much worse in the morning.

He flipped Key's phone open with one hand, scrolling quickly through the phone's history, searching for the calls made at around ten this morning.

His eyes light up when he read the familiar number.

So Jonghyun really had called.

He couldn't admit that he didn't feel just a little hurt that Jonghyun had called Key instead of him, but he understood why. He hates me now. Why would he want to call me?

Without really knowing what he was doing, he went the list of numbers Key had stored in his phone and saw Jonghyun's number clear as day. He hit the call button and held the phone up to his ear, his chest becoming tight as he listened to the phone ring. 

It took the third ring for him to realize what he was doing and he hurriedly ended the call, his heart racing.

Damnit! Get yourself together, Jinki! He doesn't want to talk to you...He hates your guts.


Onew didn't have enough time to return Key's phone back to his room before he came out of the shower. 

 He had almost made it to their room when he heard the lock click, telling him that Key was about to step out of the bathroom.

He sprinted towards the kitchen, dropped the phone on the table where Key had been sitting earlier, just as Key walked out of the bathroom, a white towel draped over his head as he dried his hair. Onew hardly had enough time to yank the refrigerator door open to pretend he had been out here trying to find something to eat, when Key removed the towel from his head and saw Onew in the kitchen.

Key stared at him for a second before shaking his head and disappearing into his room.

Onew breathed a sigh of relief and grabbed a small snack from the fridge while he was in there, hoping it would keep his mind off the fuzziness in his head. 

He really hated alcohol sometimes.

He had almost finished his snack when Key came out of his room, frowning.

"Hyung, have you seen my - there it is! Why the hell is it on the table? I could have sworn that I had put it on my bed..."