Chapter 25

Escaping

Jonghyun was walking casually down the streets, looking for any shops that had the "Help Wanted" signs outside their windows, when it happened.

At first, he didn't recognize the man.

He had always seen him in a tux or a dress shirt of some kind.

Here he was in casual clothes, his hair not waxed down like usual, standing in front of a store with a cell phone up to his ear.

The man looked around, then his eyes came to rest in Jonghyun's direction, hardly giving Jonghyun enough time to duck behind a large sign sitting outside a Japanese restaurant.

He crouched behind the sign, clutching at his heart which was racing so hard that it could have run a marathon against Minho and won.

Oh god...oh god...they're here...they found me...oh god. I shouldn't have let Kyuhyun come even though it's been about a week. He's going to take me back I know it. 

"What do I do...?" He whispered to himself quietly.

I should get out of here, fast. I have enough money for now...I can put off job searching for a day.

Jonghyun peeked over the sign, releasing a sigh in relief when the company representative had focused his attention elsewhere, and then made a run for it.

He had ran faster than he ever had before and didn't stop until he reached his apartment and shut and locked the door firmly behind him.

Out of breathe and feeling like he could die of exhaustion, Jonghyun slid to the carpet in front of the door and took deep breathes, trying to calm himself down and return more air to his lungs.

Damnit...I hope it was just a coincidence that he was here...yeah, that's it. 

Even though he reassured himself that it was just a coincidence, he was still very worked up over it.

Maybe I'll make myself some ramen and watch TV. That should calm me down.

He went over to the stove and pulled a pot out from one of the cupboards, placing it on the stove to boil up some water.

Once it was boiling fairly well, he placed in the noodles and let them sit for a couple minutes - long enough for him to walk back into the living room and turn the TV on to his favorite channel. 

Already, he was feeling better, and he began to sing "A-yo" to himself as he stirred the eggs and onions in.

It was the first time he'd sung in a little under a week and a half.

It felt good to be able to do so freely.

When his ramen was done, he poured it in a bowl and sat on the couch, eating it quietly as he watched a movie.

For now, he had already forgotten about the incident with the man from the company and was enjoying himself.


There hadn't been any sign of the guy, Mr. Choi Youngjin, in the last four days - making Jonghyun finally relax again and assume that there was no meaning behind the representative's visit.

Though it did seem odd that he'd be out here, so far away from the company. 

Perhaps he lived somewhere nearby, which also didn't make much sense because the drive to the company would be at least a two hour trip. Wouldn't he have found a place closer to work? Or perhaps it was just someone who looked like him? It wasn't like Jonghyun had gotten a great view of the man's face. He had seen him from at least thirty feet away.

But also in that time, Jonghyun still had yet to find a job. School had officially ended two days after he had left the dorm, meaning that there were hardly any places for him to work at anymore. It was getting harder and harder by the day to find a job and, if it kept up like this any longer, Jonghyun feared that he would have to leave the city. Even though he knew it was stupid to stay here any longer, especially with the close call with Youngjin, he didn't really want to leave. Not yet, anyway. 


Jonghyun was wandering the streets again, looking for a job opening. He was wearing a disguise again and he prayed that it was working. The last thing he needed right now was a bunch of fans clawing at him, demanding autographs and pictures. 

He paused when his phone rung in his pocket.

He had been meaning to get rid of it but he hadn't yet.

Curious as to who it could be now, since most everyone from the company had given up with calling him, he cautiously flipped it open and looked at the screen.

A text message.

To: Kim Jonghyun

From: Kim Heechul

Jonghyun rose an eyebrow. Heechul? 

He scanned the text message and his eyes widened.

Look behind you pabo :P

Jonghyun whipped around and saw Heechul a couple yards away, waving a hand with a smirk on his face.

.

Jonghyun's first instinct was to run but he ignored it, forcing himself to remain calm.

If Heechul found him then - no stop. That doesn't mean anything. Heechul wouldn't betray you. None of them would have betrayed you.

Just as Jonghyun was going to take a step towards him, he felt a strong pair of hands bend his arms behind his back, making him yelp in pain and tears spring to his eyes.

Oh god...no, please, no.