The Monster

You Are Living In MY World
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

/Act 4 Scene 22/

 

"When our actions

do not, Our fears do make

us traitors."


 

 

 

Riiing!

 

The last school bell rang, signaling the end of the week's classes. Dara swiftly gathered her notes, her anticipation for Theater Club practice evident in her eager footsteps. It was another opportunity to rehearse her lines for the upcoming end-of-year performance.

 

It's gonna be spectacular, she reassured herself. After all, she was headlining the show.

 

Upon entering the Theater Club room, she found herself alone, as she had expected. She settled on the stage and began rehearsing her lines, barely noticing the gradual arrival of her fellow club members.

 

They chatted amiably among themselves but paid her little attention. It didn't bother her; she was accustomed to it. Even if they glanced her way, they usually chose to ignore her.

 

To them, she was the unfriendly girl who wore hand-me-downs to school, now finally landing the lead role after years of playing supporting characters. Her hard work had finally paid off.

 

However, in their eyes, she remained a poor graduating girl, and her newfound status as the lead actress didn't elevate her in their social hierarchy, if such a thing even existed in their community college. Most students here, including Dara, were living below average and are striving to complete their education, graduate, and secure a decent job.

 

The club director was conspicuously absent, which was no surprise given the teacher's lack of punctuality. After minutes of practice, Dara's throat grew dry, and she needed a drink.

 

She grabbed her empty water bottle and headed toward the direction of the water fountain, which should be in front of the Theater Club room. As she exited the room, her eyes fell on a vending machine nearby, offering a variety of drinks. She walked closer, her gaze fixated on the melon Fanta juice inside.

 

2000 won.

 

Dara reached into her pockets, retrieved some coins, and counted them.

 

She sighed; they didn't even amount to a thousand.

 

Frustrated, she turned around, only to collide with someone. Startled, she lost her balance and began to topple backward when that person steadied her elbow.

 

She looked up about to say 'thanks' when she saw who it was and a scowl showed on her lips instead.

 

"Kim Jaejoong," she hissed, sharply nudging her elbow out of his grip.

 

Jaejoong smirked and walked around her toward the vending machine. He inserted some coins, followed by the sound of the machine, before bending down to retrieve his drink.

 

He then opened his Fanta juice, all the while maintaining eye contact with Dara as he sipped it slowly.

 

Dara shook her head, feeling foolish for even considering getting something from the vending machine. She knew she couldn't afford it. What a fool.

 

"Want some?" Jaejoong asked behind her.

 

Dara glanced at him and longed to wipe that grin off his face by wringing it. She ignored him and proceeded to fill up her water bottle at the fountain.

 

Once she had finished, she her heels to return to the Theater Club.

 

Unsurprisingly, Jaejoong followed her.

 

"It to be poor, huh?" he taunted.

 

Dara stopped in front of the club room, her hand on the doorknob. She turned to face Jaejoong, who still wore that smug expression.

 

"I'd rather be poor than be a washed-up idol hiding in this poor school," she retorted matter-of-factly. Without waiting for his response, she hurried back inside, knowing she had struck a nerve.

 

Jaejoong followed her inside, but it was a relief to see that he was headed in the opposite direction. Shortly after, the head of the theater club arrived and instructed the rest of the cast to assemble at the center of the stage, commencing the practice.

 

Though, it brings Dara great satisfaction to notice that the smug look on Jaejoong's face disappears, replaced by a scowl, every time their eyes meet while reading their lines. After all, this jackass also has a role to play in the production.

 

He's even portraying one of the main characters, Macbeth. When it was their turn together to exchange lines, Dara looked up and gave Jaejoong an intense gaze as she delivered her lines with unwavering conviction in her role as Lady Macbeth, his wife.

 

Dara (as Lady Macbeth):

 

Give me the daggers.

The sleeping and the dead

That fears a painted

devil. If he do bleed,

I'll gild the faces of the grooms withal,

 

For it must seem their guilt.

 

Jaejoong appeared somewhat taken aback by her intensity. He stumbled over his lines, prompting the head teacher to shout 'Cut' and asked about the issue before dismissing the rest of the cast.

 

Now it was Dara's turn to smirk. She grabbed her bag and turned her back on the flustered Jaejoong, who glanced at her as she exited the room.

 

Not even a washed-up idol could handle her performance. No one could.

 

 

It was already dark outside, and the chilly wind made Dara hug herself tightly. Her stomach rumbled with hunger, and she had an hour left before her part-time job would begin. It being a Friday night, the dining bar where she worked would get busy once it opened.

 

She winced at the thought of the many plates she would have to wash. The dishwasher in the bar was still scheduled to be fixed, so until then, she would have to wash everything by hand as a kitchen helper.

 

Suddenly, a warm object gently touched her cheek, instantly providing her with warmth as she held onto it. It was a hot can of Boss cocoa. She smiled at the person standing next to her now.

 

It was Jiyong.

 

"Were you waiting for me?" Dara asked as she opened the can and took a sip, ignoring the fact that the liquid inside was hot. She would endure it for the sake of her grumbling stomach.

 

"No," Jiyong replied, securing his guitar over his shoulder and beginning to walk.

 

Dara didn't quite believe him, but she chose not to press further as she walked beside him. "I still think you're being paid well below average at the bar. You should consider charging more, especially given how good your band is," she remarked as they made their way towards their workplace, the -ONE bar.

 

They turned into a dark alley, where a few people were engaged in various things, from smoking to making out or just standing alone, seemingly seeking solace in the darkness.

 

While this area was one that most people would avoid, Dara and Jiyong didn't mind taking the shortcut. The somewhat shady figures noticed them, their eyes first on Dara and then on Jiyong, studying his face before wisely deciding to keep any unpleasant comments to themselves.

 

Dara and Jiyong passed through this area unscathed.

 

Dara glanced back at the area they had just passed through. "I'd never take that shortcut without you. It gives me the creeps," she confessed, seemingly out of the blue.

 

Jiyong looked at her and raised an eyebrow. "Says someone who lives in the shadiest part of town."

 

Dara nodded. "That's precisely how I can tell which areas truly need to be avoided," she quipped, jabbing her thumb toward the alley. "That, for example." She shrugged.

 

Jiyong didn't respond as they reached the bar.

 

Dara went in through the back door, while Jiyong headed to the front.

 

"I hope you'll be playing some jazz tonight!" Dara called out as she punched in the code to open the back door.

 

Jiyong snorted in response, and Dara laughed as she disappeared behind the door.

 

Jiyong waited until the door closed securely, catching a glimpse of Dara's retreati

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter