The Thing in the Past

You Are Living In MY World
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(Act 1 Scene 2)

“If you can look into the seeds of time,
And say which grain will grow and which will not.”

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

"Hi, Dara. Do you know that guy?"

 

Dara hoped the woman in front of her was just a fragment of her imagination. That whatever she was facing now was just a nightmare, and soon she would wake up in her bed, leaving the dream behind to continue her day, pretending that Bae Suzy hadn't appeared before her.

 

But it wasn't a dream, it was real - a nightmare. Dara closed her eyes, suppressing the urge to scream at the sight of her.

 

Suzy's beautiful face regarded her, smiling as if they were long-lost friends reuniting. Her Juliet with wings costume suited her perfectly, making her seem like an angel—inside and out.

 

So, how could Dara hate her...?

 

Because Suzy was everything she was not.

 

Dara was overwhelmed by the unwanted memories of her high school days when she was abruptly thrown into oblivion...

 

"Bae Suzy will be playing the Princess on the school's Foundation Day next month," a woman in her thirties announced to the group of students from the Theater Club. "As expected," the female teacher added, smiling.

 

Applause erupted as the students greeted the woman, all attention fixed on her. She bowed in gratitude, a smile painted on her lips, enough to captivate anyone who looked at her beautiful face.

 

"Congratulations, Suzy-ah!" they all greeted her, joyously.

 

"Thank you, everyone. Let's do our best." Suzy replied, graciously.

 

Everyone shared in the joy, except for the grim-looking woman in the corner. Dara didn't even clap, her gaze cold as she watched Suzy happily engage with her club mates, offering them acting tips.

 

What did Dara expect? That the role would be given to her instead? Dara snorted internally. She was aware of the holes in her socks, the faded color of her shirt, the ill-fitted school uniform she wore. There was no way she'd fit the role of a princess.

 

Dara glanced at Suzy again. She looked and acted like a living princess as if she had been living such a life her entire existence.

 

Beautiful, popular, stylish—never repeating the same set of clothes on the school’s Wash Day.

 

"Park, you will be the tree!" the teacher announced after assigning roles to everyone else in the play. No one paid attention to her.

 

Dara bowed, looking down. "Yes, ma'am," she whispered into the air, drowning in her own self-pity.

 

Last play, Dara was a rock; this time, she was a tree. Pathetic, she must admit. It's probably time to leave the Theater Club and join a club that genuinely cares for its members, not just catering to the popular ones.

 

"Suzy-ah, let's go shopping after practice!" a girl suggested to Suzy as the teacher asked them to start practicing their lines.

 

"Sounds good to me. There's a dress I've been eyeing for a while. I want to check!" Suzy said, clasping her hands in front of her face, excited at the idea of shopping with friends. The boys swoon at her reaction.

 

Dara grimaced at that.

 

Suzy looked behind her, "Dara-ah, are you coming with us?" she asked, eyes batting innocently.

 

Dara wanted to melt at the attention Suzy was giving her, her friends looked at her too. She didn't even expect Suzy to talk to her. She shook her head. "No," she answered.

 

As if. Suzy shops at Neiman Marcus, while Dara buys clothes at thrift stores.

 

Suzy nodded as she faced her friends again and continued chatting.

 

It didn't escape Dara's notice when Suzy's friends nudged her shoulder, giving Dara a quick glance.

 

"Why did you invite her? You know she can't afford it," one of Suzy's friends whispered, but it was audible enough for Dara to hear.

 

Suzy shrugged. "Just being nice."

 

Dara gritted her teeth. Oh yeah, nice. Suzy was known for being very nice—the girl-next-door type with a ready smile for everyone. If that's not nice enough, she volunteers to help the local food pantry or occasionally cuts her hair to donate to cancer patients.

 

Yes, a true angel.

 

But in Dara's eyes, Suzy is a villain in her life.

 

Suzy can wish for anything but still wants everything.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter