The Henchman

You Are Living In MY World
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Mount Vernon is a smaller town compared to Malcom City. It's a town with a beautiful view of the town's hills and mountains. A popular destination for the hikers during the hiking season.

 

 

It seems the small town Mount Vernon exudes a relaxed vibe, boasting predominantly local businesses, mom-and-pop diners, and numerous public parks.

 

 

Dara couldn't fathom why Mayor Yang felt threatened by this small town. However, the town's representative responsible for maintaining its cleanliness and tranquility seems like a hidden threat to Mayor Yang in the upcoming election next year.

 

 

While she's not deeply interested in politics, she understands the importance for Mayor Yang to defeat the representative of this town to secure another term in office for Malcom. If Mayor Yang fails to win this election, Malcom will see a new mayor next year, which isn't even a consideration based on what she's heard from the Kwon Mansion household. It's a must for Mayor Yang to win, considering the longstanding reign of the Yangs as Malcom's mayors—a political dynasty, albeit in small cities.

 

 

"Ms. Dara? Are you listening?"

 

 

Dara blinked, her gaze shifting from the poster she'd been eyeing for a while:


 

"Single Bedroom For Rent - Immediate Moving Possible"


 

She stood in front of an old building in the small downtown of Mount Vernon, where Kim Jaejoong's comeback music video shoot was taking place for next year. Stylists buzzed around her, applying makeup and making last-minute wardrobe changes.

 

Lost in her thoughts, she imagined living a low-key life in this quiet town, working in one of the charming little shops surrounding the area—all of which seemed to be hiring.

 

 

She tried to focus back on what the MV female director was talking about to her before she was daydreaming.

 

 

If she remembered it right, the name of this director is Sue.

 

 

"Yes, Director?"

 

 

Director Sue looked at her, pointedly. She obviously didn't like repeating herself.


 

A small chuckle could be heard as Kim Jaejoong strolled between her and Director Sue, easily draping his arm over the flustered director.

 

 

Dara had the urge to roll her eyes seeing this. Kim Jaejoong is ladies' magnet with his metropolitan fashion sense, smug smile, and easy personality making everyone who works with him fall over his charms. Except for Dara. She still finds his overconfidence, annoying.

 

 

"Director Sue just asked you if you have any questions about the music video we're starring in." Jaejoong filled her with amusement in his voice. He then winked at the director. "I'm sorry, Director Sue, Ms. Park here easily loses herself when she's internalizing about her roles. Her head is loony, like outside the universe, too deep in her characters." That earned a couple of laughs from the director and staff. "She does this often in our school's Theater Club, too."

 

 

Dara rolled her eyes at him as she gave them a too-eager smile, feigning agreement with whatever Jaejoong was doing.


 

"Right. Usually, it involves me being a lunatic against our dear idol Jaejoong here." She gave Jaejoong a saccharine smile, as well. "Do you want me to show the staff how I strangled you to death in one of our scenes?"

 

 

He laughed out loud at that, while the other staff in the MV making were also snickering. Great, now they think she's a comedian.

 

 

She shook her head at him as she looked apologetically at the director. "What is the plot of this music video again, Director Sue? How do you want me to attack my character?"

 

 

The director motioned her hand to her and then to Jaejoong. "You will play a nonchalant character who ignores her love interest most of the time in this Seven MV. Be angsty, be feisty. Ignore Kim Jaejoong here and just keep walking away from him."


 

Dara smirked listening to this as she flipped her hair over her shoulder. "That's easy. I already do that a lot to him." She then winked at the sneering Jaejoong before walking away from them.

 

 

Already in her element. Ready for her next scene.


 

They did a lot of scenes. There was an apocalypse. There was a train scene. The laundry scene. The flood scene. Getting underwater. And the cool, funeral scene.

 

 

She called it cool because even though the love of her life died and was in a coffin, she's still in her no-bull character, not even grieving but constantly frowning to her lover like How Dare You Die On Me? kind of grieving. It turns out, the love of her life will come back to life just to not leave her alone. Cool.

 

 

Crazy cool.

 

 

At the end of the two-day weekend MV shooting, she was tired and ready to go home. Only this time, she's ten thousand dollars richer.

 

 

And a new number to save.

 

 

She smiled widely, as she put her phone back in her pocket after saving the contact number in that apartment rental poster ad.

 

 

"Ready, Park?"

 

 

Jaejoong pulled over his luxury car, given by Jiyong after their ordeal in Seoul, next to where she was waiting for him. They had come to this town together and would return to Malcom together as well. With a grin on his face, he rolled down the passenger side window to speak to her.


 

"Let me take you home, fast and sweet, Park. We wouldn't want to further anger the King. Who knows, he might send an entire battalion just to guard you next!" Jaejoong laughed, clearly amused at her expense.

 

 

She pursed her lips as she opened the passenger door, scowling.

 

Jaejoong was right. Upon learning about her short gig in this MV shooting outside Malcom City/District 7, Jiyong dispatched several men to keep an eye on her here, blending in the background BUT she still felt their presence.
 

 

They weren't even being discreet about it. They looked like thugs and locals were scared seeing them but once Dara started staring at them straight, they scurried away, even tripping in haste sometimes. She might find it funny some other times, but not this time.

 

 

She didn't need constant guards. She's no royalty.

 

 

"Yes, you are, Princess." Jaejoong teased.

 

 

She didn't realize she was speaking her thoughts loud.

 

 

"Shut up." She growled at him.

 

 

Which earned another laugh from the .

 

 

 

 

 

As promised, Jiyong gave Dara "space" the following weeks, and even though she didn't like it one bit, she was too busy on her own with her theater club activities to get mad about his arrangement.

 

The "arrangement" that says he'd stay away from her to let her achieve her dreams without the distraction that comes with his gangster life and putting her life at risk because she's a VIP and the gang leader's center of affection. Her safety is paramount.

 

But Jiyong didn't totally leave her alone, and still in a quiet presence and content himself watching Dara from afar.

 

That includes the security Jiyong hired for her. Dara tried to get used to the strangers offering her protection when she was outside her residence and school. Thankfully, they leave her alone once she's at home.

 

Even doing mundane things like grocery shopping, Dara felt them around though she wasn't sure how many of them trailing her but they're more than one.

 

Especially after her short trip to Mount Vernon, Jiyong seemed pissed that she didn't say anything about the MV shooting to him and he heard it from someone annoying first (Jaejoong) so his retaliation was sending more guards to "protect" her now. Much to her chagrin.

 

Trailing her behind and trying to block people who tried to approach her.

 

Finally, Dara put her foot down to this when these men dressed in black blocked Angel Street's grandma when the old woman tried to engage her in talking about the old woman's plans for the Ch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter