The Big Rehearsal

You Are Living In MY World
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

If there's one thing Dara is good at, it is not asking anything.

 

It's not that she's not curious, it's just...she doesn't want to know. She's afraid that once she starts asking, she won't be able to stop herself from digging further into it.

 

Many people might think she's like Cinderella who lives with her abusive relative and grew up in a life of hardship, but right now she feels like Alice in the story Alice in Wonderland.

 

That once she starts asking - Jiyong would run away from her like the rabbit with a ticking time bomb and lead her into a rabbit hole further and deeper, leading door after door of discoveries...and she won't be able to escape from it.

 

So, when Jiyong, after a quiet ride home, finally parked in front of her house on Angel Street, she didn't say anything. Even when Jiyong said,

 

"Do you have something to ask?"

 

Very carefully, very gently like speaking to a wounded child, Dara didn't say anything about it aside from,

 

"I'll see you at school." And got out of the car.

 

Jiyong didn't say anything back as his hold on the steering wheel just tightened, revved the car on, and then sped off so fast, leaving dust and smoke behind.

 

Dara didn't look at him again. She refused to. She refused to know about this dangerous tale he's been into.

 

 

She didn't see Jiyong on Monday. Part of her is pleased about it as she's not ready to face him yet.

 

Instead, she found herself in front of the faculty office during lunch break, holding an envelope with money in it for the dress alteration.

 

She looked for Mr. Jin inside and though, surprised and awkward? to see her there, he listened to the reason she was here to see him at lunchtime.

 

"I want to give you the money for the dress." After Dara said this, it registered on Mr. Jin's face the understanding.

 

"Ah, right." Mr. Jin said then waved his hand off. "You don't have to pay me. Kim Jaejoong already paid for it." He then shooed her, obviously couldn't wait for her to leave. He even showed her the stack of papers. "I'm busy." That's her cue.

 

Dara didn't say anything back as she just bowed to the teacher.

 

Once outside, she frowned. "Kim Jaejoong." She didn't know what to feel. It's not like she didn't forget what Jaejoong told her last Friday, and she didn't even remember agreeing to his terms. And the jerk just went ahead and "paid" her by this. 'And more, two Saturdays from now.' her brain added but she just scowled.

 

Jaejoong was wasting money as there was no way he could make her do that. She had enough of the word "date" and its implications about it for now.

 

Dara put the money back inside her bag and left to go to her next class, she would eat her lunch there too.

 

 

Practice was canceled that afternoon so the theater club members had no choice but to go home early from school. Some representatives just told the members that Mr. Jin couldn't make it today and to see all of them this Wednesday instead for the big rehearsal. He also said the theater clubroom was under maintenance so no one can use it in the meantime. Dara was not happy about this, plus, the big rehearsal is two days from now.

 

Well, she can practice in her house, and confronting Jaejoong today can wait until this Wednesday then, Dara thought as she gathered her things to go home.

 

 

Dara thought she would have the house to herself for a few hours before her aunt Hyorin would be home at midnight, so it surprised her when her aunt was at home when she got home. Her aunt also had a visitor, and she seemed to be in a good mood, laughing and flirting with the man she was with.

 

"Oh, Dara-ah, you're here!" Aunt Hyorin greeted her 'sweetly' much to Dara wanting to puke right away.

 

Aunt Hyorin even went to greet Dara at the door when she remained frozen there because of her aunt's acting. Her aunt then pulled her hand towards the direction of her guest.

 

"I want you to meet, Reaper. He's a special friend of mine!" Aunt Hyorin chirped cheerily. "Reaper, this is my niece, Dara. She's a student at Malcom College. Dara-ah, this is Reaper."

 

Dara looked at the man in front of her who was equally checking her too. The man surprisingly looked 'decent' unlike the other men Hyorin usually brought here before. He had tattoos yes like the flower design on his hand, wearing a short-sleeved polo shirt, dark pants, and brown leather shoes like he just got off from his blue-collar job. He even offered his hand for a handshake which Dara hesitantly received.

 

"I'm Reaper. Nice to meet you, Dara-ssi." He said, a small curl on his lips and a glint in his eyes, his grip on her hand tightened, too.

 

Dara let go of his hand too quickly as she didn't answer him. She studied the man's face. It's too early to say if this man will stay a week or two in her aunt's life but definitely won't last very long per her aunt's reputation with men.

 

"I-I'll be in my room," Dara said after a while, breaking eye contact, and turned her back to head to her room.

 

"I'm sorry." She heard Aunt Hyorin say when Dara got inside her room. "That girl lost her parents so young and I've been taking care of her since then. Lots of trauma in my niece's life. It was hard to see her so detached from others." Aunt Hyorin said dramatically, even sniffling her tears.

 

"She's a very pretty young lady..." Reaper stated which made Dara flinched hearing the tone of malice in his voice.

 

Her aunt might bought the facade this Reaper guy was showing her, but it won't work on Dara. Just like many times before, her aunt didn't learn her lessons and was always attracted to these types of dangerous men.

 

Dara heavily sighed as she locked the door to her room.

 

 

Wednesday came fast, and it meant the Big Rehearsal for Dara. She had been looking forward to this, worked extra hard to memorize her lines, and stayed an all-nighter last night to prepare for today and to deliver a spotless performance the audience will be able to see in their lives. It would be outstanding, even if it was only a rehearsal. She even missed lunch due to excitement.

 

Dara intentionally missed her last class today too to prepare herself for the play, dressing up as Lady Macbeth and its aesthetic can be time-consuming so she needed the extra time to do it.

 

In front of the mirror, she twirled, satisfied with her appearance in a floor-length, dirty white medieval dress. The dress boasted a fitted bodice, flowing wide sleeves, and silky fabric adorned with intricate embroidery— befitting its ridiculously high rental rate. The neckline, a modest square, revealed a hint of her cleavage. Her waistline was complemented by a corset, the ensemble lent her the regal air of a royal court lady. She looked both good and fitting for the role.

 

She was still grinning when a knock interrupted her in the dressing room.

 

"Yes?" Dara answered.

 

A freshman cautiously peeked in from behind the door, revealing a girl with bobbed hair. She offered a hesitant smile and relayed, "Jin-sajangnin is asking for everyone to gather on the stage."

 

"Oh," Dara said as she stood up now.

 

The freshmen looked at her in awe. "Wow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter