The Thanksgiving Dinner

You Are Living In MY World
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a/n: Hope this LONG chapter will compensate the unusual late updates from yours truly. Don't forget to share some comments ;) Thanks for reading. Enjoy.

 

 

 


 

 

 

Dara woke up on Thanksgiving Thursday with a heavy heart.

 

..."Jiyong is even bringing a special girl with him..."

 

She gulped and almost choked on her own saliva.

 

Is she going to see Jiyong tonight in the mansion with a "special girl" like what Madame Kwon told her yesterday?

 

What the hell is Jiyong thinking?

 

Ignoring her and is going to show up in her workplace tonight.

 

Just like that.

 

She groaned inside.

 

It's not really 'ignoring her' when she also didn't make an effort to contact him first, too.

 

Should she? Like now?

 

Maybe not.

 

She yanked her hair frustratingly. Why is she difficult? Is she really gonna do this?

 

She's so used to Jiyong always initiating contact, checking in, and being a constant presence in her life that she found herself in turmoil when he chose to distance himself. The absence of his usual attentiveness left her struggling to define the complex emotions within her.

 

Almost like...she's empty without him.

 

The hurtful expression he wore during their last encounter lingered in her thoughts, becoming a haunting source in her nightmares.

 

Why is she making it challenging to initiate the first step to reconnect with him who held deep connections to her? Why does everything feel so difficult for her?

 

It just weighed heavily in her heart.

 

What's stopping her?

 

Is it her stubborn pride?

 

Is it her lingering fear?

 

Or is it the smug certainty that Jiyong will inevitably be the one to initiate contact, making everything right in her life once more?

 

A somber look appeared on her face.

 

She's full of bull.

 

What if Jiyong finally got tired of her acting like this? He even called her infuriating last time. He might say he "loves" her but then a person can only take so much in their lives.

 

What if it is too late?

 

What if Jiyong really moved on already with this "special girl"?

 

She rose from her bed, and forced herself to start her day, though she could feel the emotional turmoil happening inside her to what she called close to—

 

Heart shattering into pieces.

 

 


 

Stepping out of her room, ready to leave for the job at the mansion, Dara halted in her tracks.

 

Her aunt Hyorin lay sprawled on the couch, surrounded by empty soju bottles, while clutching a vodka bottle in her sleep. Her aunt was snoring and mumbling something in her drunken state. The sun hasn't even set yet and she's already knocked out drunk like this.

 

"...Reaper...don't leave me... I'm sorry...come back...p-please..."

 

Dara's breath was caught in the air at the hear of that. Does this mean Reaper finally left her aunt and is not living in this house anymore?

 

The relief Dara felt at that possibility was so huge that she had the "thoughtfulness" in her to gather the empty bottles and tidy up the house before heading to work at the mansion. She even put a blanket over her snoring aunt.

 

Dara just hoped that her aunt wouldn't accept the maniac back even IF he tried to go back to her after the relationship ended. Based on her aunt's history with past lovers, the men only used her and then ditched her after getting tired of her antics. They do not reconcile with her enough to stay again.

 

But then, she always falls to the same type of men. Her aunt likes them rough and bad. The badder the better maybe because she's equally a to these men.

 

Her aunt is a crazy woman with a bad temper, no one in their right mind will try to go back to her life after ending things with her.

 

Dara tightly gripped the garbage bag with the empty bottles of alcohol in it thinking about something. The shudder in her spine came back.

 

Is Reaper gone for good?

 

She really hoped she wouldn't see the maniac again. But her aunt's unpredictability kept Dara on the edge.

 

Dara knew that there was a high chance her aunt would take Reaper back if given a chance.

 

In her aunt's eyes, Reaper was the most decent lover she ever had in her life. She kept telling Dara he was a good catch, even letting him move in with them.

 

Reaper was bad news.

 

And now, looks like he's gone. Dara should feel relief.

 

But the way Reaper looks at Dara in the bathroom last time tells her he is not done with her, keeping her on edge.

 

The shiver crept into her skin again as she shook her head.

 

She will find a new place to live so she will stop worrying about the men her aunt associates herself with. Maybe she can find a place before the year ends so this unnecessary anxiety stops hanging over her head.

 

 

 

 

 

Dara was in the mansion dressed in her usual maid uniform because of Madame Kwon's insistence. On most days, she didn't have a problem wearing this before but then it was because only the family living here and the staff could see her in it. But this time, with many guests pouring into the mansion, she wished she could burn this uniform so no one could see her wearing this.

 

Even Jiyong didn't see her in this before.

 

The uniform made her look like a maid straight out of a British period drama of the early 20th century. In what she called, slave to the rich. And she hated the reminder of it.

 

Her maid uniform consisted of a black dress with a white apron, a cap, and other agonizing details. The dress was ankle-length and had a traditional design, reflecting the old fashion of the early 20th century, with which Madame Kwon was obsessed.

 

All of them working in the mansion wear this but still, Dara hated looking so domesticated like this.

 

But then money is money, what Madame Kwon wants, Madame Kwon gets. And right now, Dara is just one of the many props to satisfy Madame's lavish taste and lifestyle. That includes the maids and butlers to her traditional Thanksgiving Dinner party.

 

The mansion radiated with autumn hues as Madame Kwon did it again. Once more, she transformed the place into a locale deserving of a posh magazine cover.

 

Everywhere you looked, orange, red, yellow, and brown decorations adorned the mansion—pumpkins scattered, candles flickering, and autumn flower centerpieces gracing the dining and living rooms.

 

As Dara stood in the entrance, she bowed to arriving guests amidst this picturesque Thanksgiving Dinner vision of the madame.

 

One of Dara's tasks for tonight was to greet maybe twenty or more guests.

 

The party consisted mainly of Mayor Yang's side of the family and some of his influential friends. Mayor Yang himself was attired in his customary formal business wear—a dark suit complemented by an autumn-themed necktie, blending red and orange hues. Alongside him, Madame Kwon radiated elegance in a flowing, sparkling orange dress, adorned with a silvery shawl.

 

As Madame engaged in conversations with the female guests, Mayor Yang was engrossed in discussions with his male acquaintances.

 

Unintentionally, Dara caught snippets of their conversations, which primarily revolved around politics.

 

"How's the electoral campaign so far, Mayor Yang?"

 

"Soon serving two terms in a row?"

 

"You think you will win against Mount Vernon's representative?"

 

Dara noticed how Mayor Yang tensed at the mention of the neighboring town, the grip on his glass of expensive scotch whiskey tightened while the polite smile on his lips remained.

 

Whoever Mount Vernon's representative is, Mayor Yang doesn't like them.

 

"Of course. They can't win against me. That town is just full of brainless savages."

 

Mayor Yang tactically changed the topic to the charities he was working on in Malcom City.

 

Interesting. Looked like the stoic and calm Mayor Yang was threatened by the representative of the next town.

 

Dara had been standing in front of the entrance door for quite some time now but then she still didn't see the one she's been waiting anxiously for—Jiyong.

 

And the special girl.

 

And here she thought, she was the one in his mind to bring to his mother when Dara mentioned this event to him last week.

 

Dara felt sad at that memory as she looked down in her black ballet shoes. It felt like a distant memory now, how she and Jiyong were together and very much happy talking and teasing at that time. It was only last week too but so much has happened since then, it felt like months ago.

 

Now, it felt like they were strangers and barely talking anymore. NOT talking anymore.

 

She sighed deeply.

 

"Hi, Dara."

 

Dara looked up at the voice. Surprised first before feeling the air trapped in her lungs at the scene unfolding before her eyes.

 

Suzy was standing in front of Dara, looking ethereal in her orange-red pouffy dress with matching five-inch high-heeled shoes, greeting Dara with a glint in her eyes and a confident smile on her red-painted lips.

 

But it was not Suzy that was taking Dara's breath away. It was the guy behind Suzy.

 

Jiyong.

 

And he was looking exquisitely tall and broodingly handsome in this moment.

 

How Dara missed him.

 

Jiyong dressed formally in a dark blue suit with a striking red tie fitting for the event. He was standing so close behind Suzy with one hand stuffed in his pocket while the other hand holding Suzy's elbow maybe to keep her balance from that towering heels of hers or maybe because it's just his nature to be a gentleman to any woman, especially to his date.

 

Date.

 

Dara almost choked at the thought.

 

Jiyong and Suzy obviously came here together.

 

So, Suzy is the "special girl" he was taking with him tonight...

 

Why, why is she surprised?

 

Why, why it's crushing her heart?

 

For whatever reason they were together, it still left a bitter taste in . The way Jiyong was closely holding Suzy's elbow is stirring something unwanted inside Dara, tightening her chest as if her uniform was making it difficult for her to breathe.

 

Breathe, Dara, breathe.

 

It's also not helping that Jiyong's striking dark eyes locked onto Dara's brown ones, bearing an unreadable expression on his face.

 

It seemed as if he didn't want to see her there, almost treating her like a stranger in his cold-like gaze.

 

'He's still angry at me.'

 

Dara swallowed the lump in , attempting to maintain his gaze. Trapped in his orbit, the warmth she once felt in his presence had vanished, replaced by a palpable animosity, enough to break her heart.

 

Breathe, Dara, breathe.

 

There were so many things she wanted to say to him. Dara opened to speak.

 

"Ji—"

 

"Jiyong!"

 

Madame Kwon's excited voice cut through Dara as she pushed her aside to envelop Jiyong in a big hug.

 

Tears welled up in Madame's eyes during the tight embrace. The reunion would have been touching if Jiyong had reciprocated his mother's hug. However, he remained expressionless, hands at his side, while Madame Kwon tried to crush him with her embrace before happily ushering him inside the mansion.

 

Jiyong's eyes briefly met Dara's before he followed his mother inside.

 

Dara followed them with longing eyes. Madame Kwon obviously missed her son, and Dara understood her feelings. Because she missed Jiyong, too.

 

"You looked as if you've stepped out of an episode of Downton Abbey, Dara."

 

Dara gazed up at Suzy's smiling face, the latter still standing by the entrance door. Dara sensed an underlying tone in those words.

 

Opting not to respond, she observed as Suzy gracefully approached, confidently walking in her high heels now. It seemed Suzy did not need Jiyong to keep her balance, after all.

 

Dara narrowed her eyes on Suzy. A small smirk even appeared on the latter's face.

 

"Curious, do you have a feather duster hidden somewhere?" Suzy asked with a condescending tone.

 

Dara met her gaze with boredom, still irritated by Suzy's presence with Jiyong. However, she refused to give Suzy the satisfaction of a reaction from her.

 

Intent on her professionalism and not willing to engage in bickering, Dara simply gestured her hand slowly towards the door.

 

"Welcome to the Kwon Mansion," she uttered in a practiced, low tone, her head bowing slightly.

 

Suzy scoffed a little at her act as she started to walk inside but not before eyeing Dara from head to toe and then telling her,

 

"This suits you."

 

Dara gritted her teeth, well aware of Suzy's attempt to belittle her.

 

Despite her efforts to remain unfazed until Suzy entered the mansion, Dara couldn't help herself to hate her maid uniform more than ever right now.

 

 

 

"What is he doing here?"

 

Dara heard Mayor Yang ask Madame Kwon, loudly and sternly enough to make the other guests who heard him uncomfortable.

 

Mayor Yang was even glaring at Jiyong who just remained unbothered, hands in his pockets, and equally looking coldly at the town mayor.

 

Madame Kwon met Dara's eyes first before going to calm down her husband.

 

Dara bowed to Madame in understanding as that was her cue to the rescue. Madame instructed her earlier to keep Jiyong as far away from Mayor Yang's wrath.

 

Dara didn't know the exact reason why the two men disliked each other so much but she had a guess. Is the Mayor aware of Jiyong's underworld activities? He did mention in one of his interviews that one of his advocacies is eradicating gang violence.

 

Dara winced at the thought. Having a stepson as a gang leader while you are serving as the town Mayor is probably the biggest weakness his political opponents could throw at him.

 

But then, she still didn't expect that the Madame would keep Jiyong's attendance at this party from the town mayor. No wonder, Mayor Yang is pissed.

 

Mayor Yang looked visibly upset and was ready to throttle Madame's lovely neck. If not for the party guests consisting of important people, Dara had a feeling Mayor Yang would get his hand on the Madame.

 

Dara nodded to the other staff who dispersed in the crowd at her signal, guiding the guests towards the bi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter