The Halloween

You Are Living In MY World
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(Act 1 Scene 3)

“Present fears
Are less than horrible imaginings.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mrs. Kwon lounged in the gazebo in one of those expensive Lanai Lounge Chairs. The patio, surrounded by a beautiful Japanese garden perfect for alfresco dining, was fitting for the madame on that October morning in the fall weather.

 

Dara carefully placed a cup of English breakfast tea in front of Madame as her long and elegant fingers scanned a fashion magazine.

 

Madame put the teacup to her lips, sipping the tea slowly.

 

"Lovely weather today, isn't it?" The madame asked, her eyes remaining fixed on the magazine.

 

Dara nodded and bowed. "Yes, ma'am."

 

"It would be lovelier if my good-for-nothing husband joined me. Him and his stupid business trips!" The elegance in her stance disappeared as her voice raised this time.

 

Dara didn't say anything back as she kept her head bowed.

 

"It's been weeks he's been gone, and people are starting to look for him! For goodness' sake!" She thinned her perfect lips. "And here I am playing the 'ol good politician wife and running his office for him with a smile on my face for cameras—like a fool! How many ribbon cuttings did I do the past weeks, huh Dara?"

 

"Four, ma'am," she answered, her head still bowing slightly.

 

The madame huffed as she tried to compose herself. "When will he be back again?" she asked after calming down a little.

 

"In three days, ma'am," Dara answered politely.

 

Madame closed her eyes at this, her temper rising again. "On the day of the Charity Event of all days!" And added some expletives thrown at her husband next.

 

Dara remained silent, seemingly unbothered by her boss's outbursts.

 

Then, Madame closed her eyes, attempting to calm herself by counting her breaths as her yoga instructor taught her. After a moment, she opened her eyes and slammed the magazine on the table, revealing a page for Dara to see.

 

The woman on the page wore a beautiful black sparkly ball gown, a tiara on her head, and a white mask covering her face. What caught Dara's attention the most was what the woman was holding—a severed head of a man on a platter, clutched between her hand and hips as if it were a branded bag worthy of a front cover.

 

Madame grinned as she looked at it. "Let's make it exciting for my husband, shall we? I'm in the mood to dress up for Halloween. Let's call it 'Charity Event slash Halloween Party.'" She marveled at her idea and then looked at Dara.

 

If Dara was surprised by that sudden news, she didn't show it on her face; she only nodded politely.

 

Madame thinned her lips and waved at Dara, seemingly dismissing her. "You're serving this event, but I hope you loosen up sometimes. You're too stiff, Dara-ah," she remarked. "Call Rose, my assistant, so she can convey the changes to the guests this Saturday. Then you can go."

 

"Yes, ma'am," Dara said.

 

But before she could leave, madame seemed to remember something else. "Oh, also, don't forget the invitation card for Jiyong. It should be in the glass bowl by the entryway table." She waved to dismiss Dara.

 

Dara honestly didn't know what to feel about that as she bowed to leave her boss.

 

"Yes, ma'am." The words she could only say.

 

 

 

It was lunch break when Dara placed a lunchbox on the picnic table, glancing at Jiyong sitting beside her, his attention fixed on the school grounds instead.

 

"Do you mind?" she asked, though she knew the answer, earning a glare from Jiyong. She laughed as she dug into his food. "Tonkatsu today, yummy," she commented while continuing to eat. "It's not that I want you to eat the food, but your mom—I mean, Mrs. Kwon," she corrected when Jiyong's glares deepened, "really makes delicious lunches." She continued, playing with her chopsticks to set aside the cabbages on her food, not fond of them.

 

Jiyong's frown deepened. "Save the culinary details to yourself. I'm not interested."

 

Dara shrugged, drinking her Fanta juice. "What I'm trying to say is, thanks for the food," she said, showing him a smile.

 

Jiyong was quiet for a moment before he shook his head at her, leaning on the table, and watching some students play soccer on the field. "I don't understand why you're still working for that witch," he said after a while, obviously unhappy about the topic.

 

Dara wiped with the sleeve of her cardigan as she nodded. "You're right. I don't get it too." She looked at him, a playful thought crossing her mind. "Maybe because I like hanging out with the Kwons."

 

She grinned when she got a reaction from him, raising a brow. She jabbed her thumb at the lunchbox. "Mrs. Kwon gives me breakfast, you give me your lunch...and sometimes treat me to dinner. You guys feed me. Such philanthropists," she said dramatically.

 

Jiyong scoffed at her act. "You make it sound like you are a parasite."

 

Dara laughed at the word. "Maybe I am. Why do you think I hang out with you?" She was challenging Jiyong to answer, but he just poked her head.

 

"Ouch!" she whined as she nursed her forehead. "Don't get too comfortable with me, Kwon. I'm not done using you," she stated playfully.

 

Jiyong rolled his eyes. "Whatever. For all I know, the witch asked you to spy on me," he said.

 

Dara thought he made sense there. She smiled as she looked at the other students on the school grounds, seemingly getting ready for afternoon classes. But she barely noticed what they were doing as her thoughts wandered away. After a while, she whispered, "So what? A woman's got to do what a woman's got to do."

 

Jiyong watched how Dara's expression changed, from being playful to being distant in one second. This woman amazed him. "John Wayne's lines in the 1939 Stagecoach play. You changed the lines," he pointed out.

 

Dara nodded, smiling a little. "Yup, I can change whatever I want. You are living in my world, after all."

 

If that was one of her stage play lines, Jiyong didn't comment on it as the school bell rang, signaling the end of lunch break.

 

Dara stood up on her heels, stretching her arms in front of Jiyong. She didn't mind him staring at her bare belly when her shirt slightly hitched up.

 

"It's a nice weather today, don't you think so? Too bad October is coming to an end," she said, seemingly remembering something. She grabbed something from her bag and showed Jiyong the card.

 

Jiyong raised a brow. "What's that?"

 

Dara placed the card on the table. "It's an invitation card for your mom's Charity Event slash Halloween Party this Saturday at 7 p.m.," she said, ignoring Jiyong's annoyed expression. "She wants me to give it to you."

 

"Burn it," he ordered.

 

Dara shook her head. "Nope. I can't." She glanced at her watch. "I'm late for my next class."

 

Jiyong ignored her, turning his back. "That witch will never leave me alone." He crumpled the invitation card in front of him.

 

Seeing this, Dara sighed and slowly sat down beside Jiyong, ignoring the fact that she was now late.

 

"You don't have to go; I'll tell her that you are busy or something," she suggested.

 

"Or tell her that I'm dead, buried somewhere, and won't be resurrected in time for trick-or-treat," he mused.

 

Dara winced at the idea. "That's too morbid." The image of the woman in the magazine holding a severed head on a platter flashed in her mind. She wondered if Madame Kwon would really dress like that. Part of her told her it wouldn't be surprising.

 

Jiyong studied her face. "What? Don't tell me you're going to that monkey show?" The thought seemed to annoy him even more. "Are you gonna wear one of those awful costumes too?"

 

Dara almost rolled her eyes. "Of course, I will!" She bumped his shoulder as she stood up. "In my servant uniform, nevertheless, young master. Serving rich people their food and drinks, how exciting," she stated sarcastically, waving at Jiyong as she headed toward her next class.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter