She Talks

Different World, Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yujin's POV

I walked along the railing, looking down at the concourse where many people enter the hospital from.

I can't believe Hyewon's making me do everything for her.

First the charts, and now I have to do her rounds for her. But this is for free food. I'd do anything for free food.

Because currently, I'm living off my own debt. I do have my parents with me, but I don't expect too much from them.

They're not the reasons why I got here. But they're the reason why I've decided to become a doctor.

Neurologist to be exact. Those that study the brains even if I think I don't have one.

But the scholarships I got tell a different story. I guess I'm just good at memorising things, let alone applying them.

While walking towards the first ward, I felt someone tap on my shoulder.

The moment I turned around, I saw her. That same girl from last week.

She kinda looks surprised for some reason. "May I help you?" I badly want to ask what is with her and the stare she gives me. It's as if she wants something out of me with how her eyes glimmer. 

"Are you a doctor here?" Okay, now she's speaking. She talks. 

"You could say that."

She then gestures for me to follow her. I did, not knowing why I did. It's a natural instinct of mine to do so. 

I looked around as she led me to the lift. "Where exactly do you–"

"Go to the rooftop." she leaves me inside as the lift door closes.

I am completely stumped by what she's doing but pressed the highest level while looking at her. The door is made of glass. She kept on pointing up as the lift started moving.

This is really strange. First, she runs away from me and now she's asking me to go to the rooftop.

Why am I listening to her like this? I should be asking her what she wants. Not do what she wants although that's my duty.

I went out of the lift, opening the separate door that leads to the rooftop garden. At this time there aren't many patients here since it's lunchtime.

I looked around but saw nothing.

Is this a prank?

I scoffed, turning around and that's when I saw someone standing on the edge of the building. So close, I'm afraid something's about to happen. 

I immediately brisk walked while putting my hair into a ponytail. Not letting that get in my way. I halted a few steps behind the girl who was smiling, leaning against the railing.

The moment she takes one step, it's bye bye for her.

"Miss?" I gently voiced out, seeing her turn around.

"Oh, a doctor." she smiles sweetly before looking off the building.

"Yes," I said. "Can you get down from there? It's dangerous."

"Since you're a doctor." she interrupts me while I was anxiously trying to find a way to get her down from the ledge. "How many bones do you think I'll break if I jump off from here?"

I saw her purple wristband. Those are given to patients who signed the Do Not Resuscitate document.

But this is not it.

I took in a deep breath and tried what Hyewon taught me. "Do you want to talk it out?"

She turns her head and stares at me.

"What's your name?" I asked.

"Seoyeon. Choi Seoyeon," she answered. "You want to talk to me?"

I immediately nodded, finger wiggling in an attempt to ask her to come down from there.

"Why? I'm going to die soon anyway."

"You're not–"

"Don't make me laugh. I've heard many people say that to me. Are three years here not enough when all I have been doing is getting treatment after treatment till my parents completely gave up on me?"

I bit down on my lip, getting slightly a little more nervous. She doesn't sound like someone who's sane. No offence.

"They even put this thing on me." she tugs on the purple wristband. "If they have given up, I don't see why I still have to live."

"They're not giving up on you," I said, shifting my gaze onto the wheelchair a few metres away from us.

"Bull. Even other patients in the room have been saying that." Her eyes turn pink as if she were about to cry.

"You're in pain."

A split second of hurt flashed across her eyes. Her lips start trembling as I recalled which ward I saw her from.

She was one of the patients that has been in the ICU so much I practically lost track. She has a rare condition that the doctors here aren't able to find out what's the cause of it.

Based on the previous surgery I observed, just watching from a distance, she had a tumour near a vital artery of her heart. To remove it, there wasn't a high chance for her to survive without going into shock.

All they could do now is to wait it out. And that means, yeah.

"It hurts," she said, letting her tears run. She hit the left part of her chest. "It hurts more knowing they're g-giving

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter