Can't Save Us

Different World, Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minju's POV

In less than 24 hours, I'll be having surgery.

Like in every situation, there's good and there's bad.

I'll be able to wake up, continue with whatever I have been doing, and catch up with things I've missed out on.

But I'll also be leaving everything behind.

Everything that happened in the past three months.

"No way." I glanced at Yujin who had a lollipop in . We're in my ward, and she has been binge-watching that drama on her phone for the past few hours.

"She's why the door could open?" she gasps softly. "That's a plot twist."

Maybe being in charge of me isn't a bad thing. At least she gets to rest. Although I still worry when she shows signs of fatigue.

That's why the lollipop. 

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

I blinked, shifting my gaze to meet hers. I was busy staring at those dimples that appear when she presses her lips together.

"You want one?" she reaches into her pocket, pulling out another lollipop.

I snickered. "How many do you have in there?"

She shows me her pocket. "Many." She smiles like a child.

You're saying she constantly gets rejected for having a smile like that? Pure and innocent. Something I don't want to forget.

If I could just carve the image of her smiling in my head by staring at her enough. I only have 18 hours to do so.

"You're getting so clingy." I looked down to realise how I was hugging her arm.

"I like it." I went closer and had no thoughts of letting go. Her sister was right. It's hard to let go.

She pauses the show. "Don't tell me you're scared again," she says.

"I don't get why you're so scared of the surgery. You'll be asleep and not even know what's going on. You went through one without even knowing."

Is it better if I let everything happen? Or should I tell her why I'm so afraid? Because I'll forget all about her?

The moment I wake up, she'll be nothing but someone working in this hospital. I don't want that to happen.

I thought it was something made up by Seungmin but Nako woke up. With my two eyes, I saw how she just walked past Heejin as if they didn't know each other.

They were back to being strangers. Even when she told me how much she liked her. She'd spend the whole day walking around the hospital with me, just talking about what Heejin does and what she likes.

It was all bound to happen.

Why did I have to meet you like this?

The big question I have been thinking about is, will I still go to her like I did?

Even when I'm not in this state?

I felt a hand patting my head. "I'll be there when you wake up." she smiles. "And then you'll have to prepare a 10,000-word speech to thank me for everything I did. In person."

"10,000 words?"

She hums. "Don't you have to thank me for boosting your portfolio?" She took a moment to process.

"Right. I forgot about that," she said. "You still owe me money." she grins. Not sure why she did.

"I expect you to pay me back with a 10% interest. Thank you." I pushed her head, hearing her laugh.

"Maybe I should add another 5% for service charge." she points the lollipop at me. "You made me go around Seoul."

"You were the one who asked for it. And end up losing in every game we played."

"We don't talk about that." she shakes her head, acting all serious.

She suddenly stands up, walked a few steps ahead and turned to face me. "But I won the best thing. Do you know what it is?"

"What?"

She gave me a little smile. "I saved you."

She starts doing a little dance, wiggling her . "All by myself." she raised both arms in the air.

Right, my dad's got everything under control. From what I heard, Mingyu has been sent into question with Chaewon. Not sure how that turned out.

But since he hasn't been here for a while, I guess everything worked out.

It's the least of my concerns.

"I'm the reason you get to wake up." she points at me, wanting me to agree.

"You did a great job." Although I wanted things to drag. I didn't expect everything to be solved within 3 months.

At first, thinking that I'll be asleep for who knows how long with no explanation, I desperately wanted to wake up.

It was terrifying to not know what was wrong with you.

But when she came, everything changed. Even if she could find out what's causing all this, I still want to be asleep.

I want to be asleep, knowing that I'll forget about all the fun we had in a short period of time if I wake up. Why do I want to forget about the person who did nothing but try her best whenever she could?

Why must I forget? Who made up this rule to forget someone that became important to you?

So that humans won't think ghosts are real? Is that it?

Just when I found something or someone who brings joy to this life of misery, everything had to be taken away.

I hate this.

She leaps back onto the chair, smiling like there's no tomorrow. As long as she's happy, I don't think there's anything for me to worry about.

"I know I did a great job." She puts on her smug look.

How annoying.













 

Yujin's POV

She drags me out of the hospital, suddenly wanting to go for a walk when the sun's about to set.

I thought she might be excited that she'll be able to wake up after 6 months. But not really.

Instead of talking back to me, she agrees with everything I say. It's not like her, but I think she just doesn't want to argue.

Her surgery's scheduled first thing in the morning tomorrow. By noon, I'll probably be able to see her.

In real life.

I can't wait. Then maybe I'll give in to certain advice given by a kid.

"Where are we walking to?" I asked because it seemed like we were walking around in circles. It's not that I mind, but she might feel bored.

"I don't know," she said. "I just wanted to hold your hand."

"You can do that inside." It's not like I say no to anything she wants to do.

"It's different. For some reason, I feel closer to you when we're outside."

"How close do you want to be?" I chuckled. At this rate, she should just superglue herself to my back.

"Because you're the only person I can rely on when we're outside."

"And risk something happening to you?"

She looks at me, squinting her eyes from the sunlight. "But you'll be here." Right, I'll be here. If anything happens, I can protect her.

"And the weather's nice out." It's sunny but chilly.

I guess fall is on its way. Autumn's one of my favourite seasons.

"When's your birthday?" she suddenly asks.

I looked at her. "First of September."

She nods slowly, looking ahead, realising. "That's a week away."

I hummed. "Why?"

"I just wanted to know." she swung our hands lightly.

Then I got curious but halted my question since I realised I already know. She's a patient in this hospital after all. Knowing her birth date isn't something special.

"You're going to bring me out after making me bring you around at least a hundred times?" I let out an amused chuckle.

She returned a gentle smile. "If I could, I would," she said.

"You should," I emphasised, hearing her snicker softly. "Instead of asking you to repay me, we could go somewhere else." I pointed to nowhere.

She gave me a small nod. "That'll totally be easier." Is she being sarcastic? Tsk.

"I think I'd rather use cash." she laughs, earning a frown. Not funny.

We sat on a bench just at the corner of the building. Even if she wasn't getting tired, I was. My legs ache for no reason.

There were ER patients entering like every other day.

"You do this?" Minju gestures at the staff running into the building with a stretcher.

"Used to. During my internship days. It's work, but the most important. Some even get traumatised by the siren." It's blaring.

I looked at her while she looks at me. I came to realise how she's great at making eye contact without breaking it.

It's difficult for many. Even me.

But when it comes to her, I'm fine.

"If you could ask me one thing, what would it be?" she suddenly asks.

"One thing?" she hums.

One thing. I have many things I wanna ask.

What would I ask? If she's gay? Well, she goes both ways.

Who she likes now? Her fiance's a bag, has been one since I can ever imagine after meeting her, so she might probably even have someone out there. I don't know. Maybe I don't wanna know that. Yeah, no.

"Do you really not remember anything when you're drunk?"

If she doesn't remember, then that's too bad. It's all drunk talk.

But if she does, what if I believed there were bits of truth in it? Just a little to make me feel better.

Thinking about that day makes my heart race.

She slaps my arm. "I thought we've already talked about that. You said I didn't do anything, why are you making it seem like I did?" she whines, gripping my hand tightly.

"Really?" I asked again.

She looks at me weirdly. "I don't remember a single thing. Maybe you did something weird. I have never thought about it that way. If it makes you feel better, I don't have the memory of what happened after receiving a seashell from you."

No. It doesn't make me feel better. At least she remembered the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter