Hold Onto Me

Different World, Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yujin's POV

Minju suddenly stops walking with my hand holding onto hers. I'm trying to make it seem like there's no one I'm holding onto.

"Is this the limit you've gone?" she looks a little terrified.

She nods. "The last time I tried, it felt like I was getting electrocuted."

"That bad?"

She hums, taking a deep breath. "There's just this blue hologram-looking barrier." she lifts her feet and steps over a tile. That immediately put a smile on her face.

"If I can just—" she fully jumps over, almost like a leaping frog.

"Oh my god." she gasps softly. "I'm out. I'm actually out." She was on the verge of screaming. How exciting can it be to get out of a hospital?

Right, extremely. For someone who has been here for the past three months.

When she calms down from getting too jumpy, I asked, "Where exactly do you want to go?"

"I've always wanted to try the Ferris wheel at night."

She hasn't done that before? That's unexpected coming from her.

I asked, "The fun fair a few miles from here?"

She nods frantically and starts walking. "Don't you have friends to do that?"

"Not those I like going out with."

"Picky much."

She gave me a side-eye. Not intimidating at all. "If you were in my shoe, you'd get what I mean."

"I won't." she pinches my arm.

I started to actually realise how I was holding her hand as we walked through the carpark. It didn't feel like something I should be concerned about.

"Just so you know, I've never really held someone's hand."

Minju looks at me as if I've said something absurd. "Seriously?"

"Not even my mom's," I admitted.

She laughs and I well know she'll not be laughing in a few seconds if I just decide to let go of her.

I'm curious what would happen, but at the same time, not really.

"The first hand you're holding is a ghost's."

"You're calling yourself a ghost but yes."

"Nothing else describes my current state better. By the way, how are we getting there?"

We're actually walking to the bus stop.

"Bus."

She immediately stops talking and walking.

Thinking she's overly dramatic about the public transport, I asked, "You've never been on a bus before?"

"Can we just call a cab?"

"I don't use the app."

"Then download it."

"I have no wifi."

"Why would you not have a ride-hailing app?" She's complaining at this point.

"Even if I did, I would still take the bus. It's more environmentally friendly."

"But—"

"You probably have a personal driver, I know that. So, I'll make you take the bus. Take it as an experience before you actually wake up to the fancy life you've been living."

I heard her sigh softly. "And it's too expensive for a cab."

"You took my card."

"Emergency purposes," I said.

She starts mumbling a bunch of curses and endless complaints about my selfish . It's not like I'm making us walk there. I do that sometimes. There's a beach nearby.

"And I probably look like a psycho talking to the air again," I muttered the moment I saw a few people looking in our direction. "Sometimes I wonder if all this is actually real."

"Don't ask me. I'm as confused as you are. You should see the first day I realised I'm out of my body."

"What does it feel like?" I got a little curious. It's my first encounter with a ghost.

Just that I've never pictured one to be this pretty. All the movies portrayed them as cruel demons trying to kill you in the most sadistic way possible. Too gruesome.

"I don't recall. It felt like I had amnesia."

"So you actually didn't remember your name?"

"For the first few days," she said. "I lied when I first saw you. If you were me, you wouldn't want the only living person that could see you freak out when they find out you're not alive or dead."

We stopped at the bus stop as I looked at the board. There's one bus arriving.

"You're afraid I might freak out?"

"You did."

"Yeah, I still don't want you to possess me." I sat down on the bench. Must I really hold her hand all the way? I look like I'm grabbing nothing.

"Why are you getting so nervous?"

I hummed, looking up from our hands. "Your heart's beating really fast."

"Eh?"

"I can somehow feel it," she said.

I snickered. "Why would I be nervous?" Does she have some superpower?

Maybe because it's my first time holding a stranger's hand. I get nervous easily.

Not to mention, it's difficult to control anything when the person—ghost you're currently with is drop-dead gorgeous.

I should've emphasised that fact earlier. Hyewon's not wrong about Minju's perfect dream to be an idol.

She's extremely correct.

"It's just really loud."

"You can hear it?" She hums.

"I don't know why either."

I couldn't say anything when the bus came.

"We're seriously doing this?"

I quickly dragged her. "Yeah, we're going."

"It smells weird." We entered the bus after I paid for myself.

"How about me?"

"You're a ghost."

"Oh yeah." she giggles and follows me to the back of the bus.

I saw how she was getting fidgety. There was someone about to sit on her.

Literally, on her.

But I managed to come up with some weird excuse that I have anxiety around people.

The guy didn't seem to mind and sat somewhere else.

I looked out the window. "Serious anxiety issue," Minju whispered as if anyone could hear her.

Even if she were to shout, only I'd go deaf.

"Do you want to get sit on then?" I spoke without looking at her. Now I wonder how other ghosts feel about getting on buses.

"I don't like this." she looks around. "It's so stuffy."

"I can let go of you if you want." She has to quit complaining about the choices I make.

She quickly shook her head and grabbed my arm. "Ah stop coming closer."

"I'm sticking to you. Who knows what will happen if I let go of you?" she slightly rests her head on my shoulder and looks outside.

"It's quite pretty." The pink and orange skies are indeed pretty. It's like fusing two-flavoured cotton candy with all the drifting clouds around.

I look at her from where I was as she admires the scenery. We're driving past the bridge towards the beach

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter