A Second Chance

Different World, Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minju's POV

There are many things I haven't told her but I plan to tell her along the way. Things that can't be said within a day because it'll take years for her to find out.

I wasn't actually supposed to remember everything we did.

Before I entered my body, The One told me we had two choices. 

To be forgotten, or to forget. That applies to people we meet when we're in a comatose state.

I chose to forget.

That's because I know I'll come to remember who she is. Not the girl I met in the hospital, but the girl I met when I was 13.

There was no guarantee she could remember me from long ago.

So, it didn't sound too bad to me.

And just when I thought I had forgotten everything, something happened.

Like a miracle.

I didn't know how I came to remember what we did, and who she was. But the moment I saw her cry in front of me, and the words she said, it felt as if a part of my memory got unlocked.

I wasn't supposed to remember, but I did. It's like the deities gave us a second chance.

And I'm more than grateful for that.

"You're not going to pick up your phone?" We're on the bus, heading to the beach for her little party.

Yujin just kept on staring at me with her phone ringing for the past ten minutes. Is her arm not tired of holding the IV bag?

I shifted her elbow to rest on my shoulder.

"It's okay, they'll wait," she said.

"Aren't you the main event?"

"Not when there's you." she smiles so sweetly I might have trouble breathing.

Flustered, I tickled her stomach. I don't think she'll ever stop staring at me, not that I want her to.

I glanced at the camera she brought. The one I gifted her. Well, there was a letter in the box, but I don't think we had enough time for that.

"So we're just going to be friends in front of them?" she asks, reaching for my hand.

"What kind of story do you have when they ask how we met? Wonyoung would be the first to find things weird." she played with my fingers.

Right, that's her best friend.

"How long have you known her?" She holds onto my hand as if she were going for a handshake. Her other's busy holding the stupid IV drip.

"All my life." she chuckles, rubbing her thumb across the back of my hand.

"Let's just tell them that you're my senior. And that I realised you were after you woke up." she hums for my agreement.

That could work. "Hyewon?"

"She doesn't remember you." she shakes her head. "She was a bookworm and had zero friends."

"You are."

"I'm probably her only friend." She says it so confidently. "Okay, then we'll go with that. You're my senior."

"As if you treat me like one."

"To them you are, to me you're not." she dimple smiles.

"Then what am I to you?"

She hums, feigning ignorance. "Someone stupid." I immediately drilled my fist into her leg.

"Hey, hey." she stops me. "We're here." The bus stops.

"We're not getting off until you—"

"You're my girlfriend." 

I froze out of surprise even though that was what I wanted to hear.

She made me stand up and started pushing me since we had to get off. "Card, card." she reminded.

I subconsciously tapped the card on the reader before getting off. Forgot I'm not a ghost anymore.

I turned to her once we got onto the pavement. "I'm your girlfriend?" she looks at me, not responding immediately.

She clears . "I said that?" She laughs sheepishly and starts walking. Why is she flustered? She stops when she realises the IV bag.

"Ah hurry up." She grabs my arm and makes me walk with her.

Yujin's POV

Oh, I shouldn't have said that. I mean, everything happened so fast that I didn't know what else to say. She looked as if she wanted to hear that, so I just said it.

I glanced at her and saw the exact smile she always emits when she hears something she wants to hear. Is it too fast to ask her to be my girlfriend?

Realistically speaking, I've known her since middle school. But it doesn't change the fact that I came to talk to her and know her only a few months ago.

Middle school was a serious blur.

I'm curious about what she has in mind. What if she brought up the friends thing because she wasn't ready for a relationship? I mean, she is still the daughter of an investment firm and I'm just a resident.

Plus, she has things to take care of before she gets on with her life. The trial, her studies, and whatever comes after.

I'm more than happy to be part of the after. I'll wait if she wants to.

And when will this IV bag be done? I want to hold onto her hand. This thing's getting in the way. I should've just removed it.

The anxiety that she might disappear was still with me.

She suddenly held onto the end of my shirt as we neared the entrance of the beach. "Why?" She slows down her movements.

"You said a few people." I looked in the direction she was looking to see a literal party. Those with a DJ and tons of people jumping.

"Oh. That's not." I made her walk and pointed afar. "See that lonely group over there?" she squints, nodding.

"Not a lot of people. Don't worry." I didn't know she would have social anxiety. "You've seen most of them before."

We got away from the insane party and went towards a small sheltered area that had a barbecue pit below it. The rest were in front, not sure what they were doing.

"AHN YUJIN!" I heard Wonyoung's voice from somewhere.

I turned to see her running towards us with two plastic bag worth of drinks. I think.

"Why are you late—oh?" she looks at Minju who just gave a small smile. "Isn't this—"

"Yeah, mine." I spat out and took a while to process. "I mean, she's my senior." I felt a light punch to my hip.

Wonyoung bends down slightly and inspects Minju. Is she drunk? What is she doing? "She looks familiar." she stands back up, shaking her head.

"Nice to meet you." she extends her hand for a handshake. Minju reluctantly took it.

"What's with the IV bag?" Wonyoung questions. Right.

"She's my patient. I just wanted to bring her along."

"You're the birthday girl, your rules. Come on, they're all waiting for you." I could just tell she was suspicious about something.

But Wonyoung's great at acting. She doesn't show what she's thinking until we're alone.

"Come on." I made Minju walk in front of me, down the flight of stairs.

"Should I have brought mosquito repellent?" I mumbled, recalling the number of bites I got whenever I came here.

I went closer to Minju. "What's your type?"

"You."

"I mean your blood type." she looks at me. Did she really just say that? "Be positive," she said. Why is she asking me to—oh, B+?

"Why?" she asks, trying to walk on the sand. It's tough. "Mosquitoes," I said.

"But it's fine. Just stay with me. They'll get me instead." I'm an O.

"I'll have to stay with you." she points at the IV bag.

That's when we reach the rest. The moment they saw me, Yena was the first to start running.

But they all froze when they saw Minju. I guess they didn't expect me to bring someone. They never do.

Yena comes closer, taking a better look. It's dark and Minju's wearing my cap.

"Oh?" she exclaims. "Kang Hyewon! Come here!" she quickly waves for Hyewon.

This is getting weird. "Oh? Kim Minju-ssi?" Hyewon tilts her head. I guess they can be a little surprised.

"Who is it—" Chaewon stops walking when she sees who I was with.

"You're all making her uncomfortable." I waved my arm in front of them to snap them out of it.

I could see how Minju was looking at Chaewon. But she has to pretend not to know her as much as I know how much grudge she has against her.

Minju just smiled, glancing at me. To stop them from staring, I said, "Let's eat first." I used a hand to push Yena and Hyewon towards the shelter.

Out of the hospital, they're literal kids.

I leaned over to Chaewon. "Act normal," I whispered, seeing someone coming from the corner of my eye.

Chaewon nods, giving me a worried look. But that soon changed to something I'd never seen when a girl walked toward her.

"This is Hitomi." I've seen her in pictures but didn't know she'd be coming.

She wished me a happy birthday before we gathered near the barbecue pit.

"You're just going to hold onto that?" Yena told me, looking at my raised arm. "You're going to get in trouble if—"

"I know what I'm doing unnie." I looked at Minju who was narrowing her eyes at the person beside Yena.

Yuri.

They looked as if they were doing a stare-down.

"Why is she here?" Yuri complains to Yena.

"What do you mean? It's an honour for her to be here." she tried shutting her up.

But Yuri being Yuri, she had to stir something up. Yena used her hand to cover to prevent Yuri from saying things she isn't supposed to.

Our hospital's at stake here.

"Be quiet." I've never seen Yena so stern before.

Apparently, it kept Yuri from throwing useless words out of . I wonder what's going on between them.

Wonyoung breaks the silence, "There must be a reason why she's here. Let Yujin introduce her."

I leaned over to Minju's ear. "Centre of attention." she hits the side of my body, gaining everyone's attention.

"They look close. They are close—Ahn Yujin." Yena looks at me. "What's going on?" she looks between the both of us.

I looked at Minju before saying, "Everyone, meet my senior, Kim Minju."

"What? Senior?"

"Where? From which school?"

"How did we not meet her before?"

They all started questioning. "She was from SNU too," I said, thinking it would've ended their curiosity.

But all I heard were soft gasps. Maybe because Minju's identity isn't out to the world, only to the finance industry.

We being in the medical industry would have no idea who she is if we don't do our own research. That's my conclusion.

But her father's our hospital's investor...

And seeing how Minju's not really talking, just smiling, she must've been really quiet back in school. She did say she was.

I saw Chaewon thinking. Perhaps because she didn't see me around Minju in school. The big questions in their heads would be, how did I get to know this senior?

I had to make up something believable. True for me, I'm not sure about Minju.

"Remember I was in the investment club?" I looked at all of them. They slowly nodded.

"Ah, you met her there?" Yena asks while I nodded. "She was the president of the club." She wasn't, but I think this could play off well since Minju's father owns an investment firm.

It's only appropriate.

"There's an investment club?" Minju softly ponders. They all looked at me.

I nudged her arm. "She can't remember very well," I told the rest who seemed to be convinced. "Surgery and all..."

"Okay! New friend it is. I'm hungry." Hyewon stood up and went to the pit. I guess she'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter