One Step Closer

Different World, Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yujin's POV

The deal we made the other day was probably the best thing that has ever happened this year.

Every single day, right after I end my shifts, Minju would be standing right outside the loft door, waiting.

Wondering what we did?

She made a whole list that looked impossible to complete within a short time span.

Of course, there were restrictions since I couldn't let go of her.

Karaoke. She went insane, just saying.

Going to the movies just so she could experience crying in the theatre. Not sure why she wanted to but I spent half the time laughing at her.

We were watching a cartoon. Wreck-it-Ralph. How does one cry for that movie?

Anyway. We went cafe hopping. She didn't get to do those much since she's always having weird classes.

I know I said I wanted to challenge her to things, but those include taekwondo, ice skating, and ballet. We can't do that.

Or more like I can't.

But we went ice skating. And I can't ice skate for . It was scary though, at least she was there or my would've split.

This made me realise I can't do a lot of things. It's a little embarrasing. Why did I challenge her to do things I can't do?

Let me just list down more things.

Painting, walking around malls, taking the cable car when she's afraid of heights, going for a picnic and the amusement park.

We did almost everything possible. It was fun, but tiring. But more fun.

I'm glad she doesn't have access to her phone or she would've taken a video of me crying after going through the haunted house.

It was scary, okay? These are the ghosts that are scary.

Although I'm holding onto her the whole time. She has to know not all ghosts, ghouls, or beasts look like her.

The one thing I dislike is not being able to take photos with her. If I do, I'd be alone. Just me and whatever's around me.

But I did something. Remember the tiny fox keychain? That little guy's a stand-in for her. She does look like a fox with her sharp ears.

At least I'd know where I am with who.

Enough about those. What's happening now is in a few minutes, I would be facing her father.

To tell him everything about Mingyu and what he's trying to do.

Even if it might or would affect his business, I think it's best for him to know.

Minju has been keeping this entire issue about their relationship from practically everyone.

But this is a matter of life and death. She's fine with it, at least trying to be.

She doesn't want to disappoint her parents again after her one dream of wanting to be an idol. Although she gave up on it.

"You ready?" I asked Minju who took in a deep breath. We're standing in front of her ward and her father's in there to visit.

I looked at my hand that unconsciously held onto hers. I forgot we're in the hospital.

I let go of her but she held onto my hand. "Keep holding onto me." She's nervous. Anyone could tell with her minimal trembling as well as quick breathing pace.

I gave a firm knock on the door before entering. Her father immediately turns around in the midst of checking on Minju.

"Oh, are you going to..." his voice shook slightly as he gestures at the bed.

Her father's not what I expected. This is my first time seeing him in person. He doesn't have a strict appearance but is more casual.

He was wearing a white polo tee with tailored navy pants and looked way older than what I had in mind. The white streaks in his waxed-up hair.

Minju was quiet, way quieter than normal.

"I'm here to see you actually, Mr Kim. I just heard you were visiting." I walked toward him, keeping a polite posture.

He lifts his hands off the bed frame. "A fan?"

"I'm here to talk about your daughter. I'm in charge of her daily checkups."

He nods and goes to sit on the chair as I felt a tight squeeze on my hand. I went opposite him and took a seat.

"Is she going to be okay? Anything we can do? I heard from my son you found the issue—it's part of the brain?" he was all over the place.

Never have I seen a father this worried. The impression I have about fathers of wealthy families was dominant, do anything to spoil their kids and do not actually spend quality time with them.

Maybe I'm wrong. Definitely wrong.

"Yes, we've found the issue. The tumour's part of the reason why she's not waking up." I started as he focuses on every word I say.

Minju was just looking at him. She must miss everything.

"A surgery is scheduled, but since the tumour's in a vital area of her brain, we're inviting Mr Rodriguez from the US to handle the surgery. I'm sure your son told you that." He nods.

"So she'll be fine?"

"Yes, but regarding her current state..." I looked at Minju before proceeding.

"The main reason why she's in deep sleep is a spike in Metformin levels."

He raised his eyebrow. "Metformin? That's what I take for diabetes—did she do it herself? Oh my..." he drags his hand down his face.

"No. I can assure you she'll never do something like that—"

"I have been pushing her too hard. I should've just let her chase her dreams instead of anchoring her to the business. I knew she didn't want any of this, I sho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter