Watching Her

Different World, Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minju's POV

All she has been doing is studying for the past few days. She'll be on the couch, using the coffee table, sometimes slipping onto the floor when her back hurts.

I did try convincing her she could do it in the lounge where she had an actual table but she didn't want to leave me alone. I don't know whether to be happy or feel bad that she's doing all this for me.

And now she's doing the exact same thing, sitting on the floor with a laptop in front of her and stacks of papers at the side.

Some were on the floor but it's the only space she has.

"Why don't you wear your glasses often?" She looks at me, raising an eyebrow.

My fingers reached over and took them off. The real one stayed on her.

"I did lasik two years ago. This is just to reflect blue light." she continues writing stuff in her notebook.

I wore the circular glasses. They had no degree. "You look cute with glasses though," I said as she looks at me and starts laughing.

"What are you doing?"

I hummed. "It's not that bad," she said and leaned closer to me.

She asks, "Are you having fun?"

"Yes." I have nothing to do.

She pushed my forehead. "Go and do something. Don't disturb me."

"I'm not doing anything to you."

"You're distracting me," she said. How am I even distracting her?

I shifted away from her, giving her space. "Okay?"

She shook her head lazily and went back to doing her work.

"What are you even studying anyway?" I peeked a little and read things I didn't understand.

I take business as my major.

"I'm studying things out of my field because of you." She made it sound like a complaint. "Or for you." That sounds a little nicer.

Her phone suddenly rings. She stopped it and stood up. "Where are you going?" I watched as she went over to the bed.

"Changing your drip," she said and took the bag off the hook, reaching for a new one in the trolley.

She sets an alarm for that? So that's why I kept hearing it every few hours.

I went to her, observing what she does. She attaches a new bag to the stand. "It's going to take another week before all the Aspirin gets out of your body," she said, adjusting the amount of IV entering.

"Another week?" she nods, reaching for the towel on the tray. This is taking longer than I expected.

"I'll just have to keep doing this until the day of your surgery." she smiles, walking around me and going to the bathroom.

I followed her. She filled a small bucket with water and came back out.

"Why do you keep following me?" She sat on the small chair and wrung out the towel. "Sit down." she snickers, going ahead to wipe my face.

"Because all I can do is follow you." I sat on the floor, crossing my legs toward my body and looking up.

"Do you watch dramas?" I asked, fiddling with the bedsheet. I just realised I've never asked her anything about her before. It's always related to the hospital or whatever's happening.

"Dramas?" I hummed in response.

She thinks while wiping my arm. "I don't really have the time for that." Right, med school students are studying around the clock.

"What were you like in school?" She hums. "The kid who asks seniors for notes or those that study themselves?"

I heard her chuckle. "Self-study is the way to go."

"Library?"

She nods. "And vending machine coffee." she looks at me. "Don't give me that look. Do you know how much I save just by going against the norm of Starbucks?"

It'll be cool if she calculated. "1.3 thousand a year." She said. "And that's 5 thousand in 4 years." Mathematician. She can be a certified financial planner.

"You need math in medicine?" My question made her laugh.

"It's more for survival." She stood up and went to the other side.

I sat up straight and looked at her across the bed. "Tell me the worst situation you've been in."

"Suddenly?" I have this urge to want to know more about her life.

"In the hospital," I said.

I came to realise how she puckers her lips while thinking. "There's one that I can never forget."

"What is it?" I love these stories. It's like hearing about a doctor's nightmare. I've watched Grey's Anatomy once, just a few episodes.

It was pretty funny. And I learned a lot but the information doesn't sit in my head.

"It was during the internship," she said, wringing out the cloth. "I was put in the ER and a guy came in." she tilts her head.

"He said he had difficulty going number two. So I had to use my hands."

"Oh no."

"Oh yes." she sighs. "All over me."

I laughed as she went into detail with her actions.

"You have no idea how long it took to get the smell out of my shirt and fortunately it didn't get on my hair."

"That would've been a disaster."

"Definitely." she shakes her head. "That's why I make it a point to tie my hair before seeing a patient." Smart. I've seen her do it a lot.

She stood up with the bucket. "You're done?" I spun myself around, still on the floor.

"You seriously don't get tired?" I heard her ask from the bathroom. "I don't think I've seen you sleep before. Other than when you got yourself drunk."

I do get tired from time to time but don't find the need to sleep. It's like constantly being on energy drinks and caffeine.

She came back out, drying her hands with napkins. "Why are you still on the floor?" she looks at me funnily.

I slowly stood up. "You should sleep," I said. "You're the one who's tired. Not me." I started pushing her towards the couch.

"Why the rush?" She chuckles and sits down. "It's only 1. I'm not tired."

She stands up, goes around me and sits on the floor. "I'll just continue where I left off. If you're not going to sleep then..." she arranges her papers. "...just watch me." she pats the empty space on the floor.

"You said I distracted you."

"You can pick up a few things and save yourself when I'm not there."

I went to her and settled beside her. "I can't do anything when I'm like this," I mumbled.

She looks at me and smiles. She always does that to the point I'm afraid I might go to the wrong places. "Then...you would be able to when you wake up."

"I won't even rem—" I stopped talking, getting reminded of something.

She hums. "I mean, I would probably forget things that don't interest me. Come to think of it, what made you want to be a doctor?" I looked at her.

She rubs the corner of the paper between her fingertips. "My sister, actually."

"You have a sister?" She nods, letting out a soft, sentimental smile. I wouldn't have known that.

"She would've been your age if she was still around." she sighs, sounding a little sad. Should I not have asked that? Did her sister...

"She passed away four years ago. Glioblastoma, brain tumour," she said. "There's no exact underlying cause of it and is non-hereditary. It just happened to her."

Is that why there's always a girl around her? For all I know, she has been watching her from a distance.

Four years

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter