Everything

Different World, Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yujin's POV

Birthdays have always been the happiest thing. It gets people together after a long time, having fun and all.

Once a year, friends and family remove all obligations for a day to go to places just to spend time together and celebrate.

But this year's a little different. Who am I kidding? I didn't feel the excitement of turning a year older when I always did.

I didn't want to do anything, didn't want to go anywhere, and didn't feel like talking to people whom I have loved all my life.

I just didn't know how to continue with what I had always done without her.

3 months. I've only known her for 3 months. And yet, the people that come unknowingly are the people whom you want to stay.

Except for the fact that they've completely erased you from their mind.

"I'll finally get some rest because of you." Yena pushed my shoulder. "You get a year older, and I get to sleep in the next day after you get me drunk."

We're walking down the hallway after tending to some patients.

"I don't get you drunk. You voluntarily get drunk." I scoffed.

"I heard Minju-ssi's recovering fast." she brought up. "All because of you." she poked my arm.

Well, Minju can do most things on her own now. Unlike other patients who tend to recover slower after waking up from a coma.

Usually, it takes a few weeks for them to do everyday things. But her? It has only been less than a week and she's walking around like she hasn't been in a coma for six months.

"That means you're going to get a bonus at the end of this year." Yena started getting excited. "But I can't wait for tonight. I haven't been to the beach in so long."

"Yeah, you're not pushing me in this time."

"I'm so doing it."

I shook my head. Honestly, I didn't feel like celebrating anything. I thought I'll be able to do so with her. That was one thing I looked forward to when she wakes up.

We reached the resident's lounge. "I'll see you later at 7." she pats my back.

I stepped into the room, stretching my back when I heard Hyewon saying, "Someone left that for you." she points to my table.

It was a paper bag. "Who?" I walked to my desk, peeking inside to see a white box. A little big to hold with one hand.

She shrugs. "It was already here when I came in." But she turns around. "A secret admirer?" I threw a random eraser at her nonsense before sitting down.

"They know it's your birthday today. What a keeper."

I ignored her, taking the box out. My parents don't send things here, they don't know how to.

And everyone I know wouldn't just leave stuff like this without telling me.

"You can check the CCTV if you want," Hyewon said.

But I didn't need to when I saw what it was. And I've only ever told one other person about how much I wanted this.

An FM2 film camera.

There's no way.

My legs made me leave the room before I could let my mind run. With every step I took, hope fills me up.

It didn't matter who I ran into, but I just had to get to the room. This is the fastest my heart has ever beaten.

But it wasn't too fast that I had to throw up.

I stepped out of the lift, quickly jogging toward the glass doors where I tapped my card.

I would've waited and calmed down, but I didn't.

I might've just busted through the door and put a halt to whatever was happening in the room.

My heart, legs, head, everything stopped for a long second when I saw Minju standing up to get water. There were people around. About three of them.

I'm assuming they were her friends since I've never seen them before.

One of the girls went, "Who's this?"

Minju looks at me. I guess they took off the bandage around her head. "She's my—"

"I didn't know you had such a cute doctor—hello." the other girl started walking toward me but my eyes were glued onto Minju.

"You remember me." My mouth spat out before my mind could process what was going on.

It's her, right?

"Can you guys give me—"

I didn't let her finish and just threw myself at her, hugging her as tight as I could. She didn't resist but I heard whispering and footsteps leaving.

I had no idea if it was really her who put that on my table but there was no thinking twice.

"You remember me." That was all I could say despite the immense joy that sprouted from within. It felt like a chant to make her remember me.

Whatever I was feeling, it was immaculate.

I didn't want to let go. I didn't want this to be a dream. I didn't want to do anything but keep her close.

That's all I wanted to do. It made me forget about everything else that was happening.

She was all I could think about.

"Tell me you remember me." I teared up without knowing as I felt her hands on my back.

The nervousness I felt was a thousand times worse than opening results for my final year paper that determined my future or waiting for interviews.

All because I knew I was going to get into university but that's not the point.

The point is, I'm about to wake up from a nightmare I didn't want to be in.

With what felt like ages, she says, "I'll never forget someone who doesn't the yoghurt lid."

She remembers me.

I could only hug her tighter the moment she said that. "Y-Yah." she tries stopping me but I couldn't.

My tears just ran uncontrollably to the point she was able to peel me off her. "Do you miss me that much?"

I just nod and continued hugging her.

She starts complaining, "Why do you always cry when I'm around? Shouldn't you feel happy that I'm able to remember you? You do know I have visitors over."

It isn't the Minju I know without the endless complaints and nagging.

"D-Do you know how I-I felt when you couldn't remember m-me?" I tried speaking but end up stuttering as I felt her hand running down my back.

"Why didn't you t-tell me everything? What if you r-really forgot about me? How am I supposed to l-live when you promised me many things?"

"But I'm here," she said.

"I know you're here but—" I took one last sniff to get all my tears back before standing properly. "How?" I was confused when she started laughing.

I wiped the tears off my cheeks. "Can you stop l-laughing? I went through one whole week thinking I was going to die because of you and you do all this and now you're laughing?"

"My head hurts." she tries to slow down her laughter. She made me sit on the roller chair. "You're seriously adorable."

I just stared at her, waiting for an explanation as she sits on the bed with her legs folded. "How—I saw Nako—"

"Did you read it?" My head was all over the place.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out the receipt. "This?"

"Not that." she tried taking it from me but I shoved it back into my coat. "I'm keeping it."

She let out a small sigh. I was confused. "What else was I supposed to read?"

"You just ran here?" I nodded. Was I supposed to do something else? Well, she looks disappointed that I put everything down just to come here.

I shook my head, going closer. "Just tell me what's going on. You clearly said you would forget everything when you wake up. Do you know how afraid I was?"

"I know," She said. "I thought I was going to forget everything. But somehow I didn't. For the first few days, everything felt new. I seriously had no idea who you are other than the fact that you were my doctor."

"So you really didn't remember who I was?"

She nods. "Everything started to come back after a while but the doctors told me I shouldn't be moving around and you were nowhere to be found when you're supposed to be my doctor." she sounds a little mad.

"Where did you go?" she lightly taps my cheek.

"I was just around—but how?" If Nako doesn't remember who I was even after waking up for a week, why does

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter