Don't Let Go

Different World, Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yujin's POV

"Yujin." I heard someone calling me. My head hurts. Did I hit something?

"Ahn Yujin." The person started shaking me.

I slowly opened my eyes. It was a little tough for me to do so but I did.

And the first thing I saw made me wake up.

"Ahn Yujin. Wake up." Minju? It's a little blurry.

"Unnie?" I thought she'd be gone. Not that I want her to be.

I quickly sat up and hugged her tightly. But it felt different. It felt awkward. She would normally put her hands on my head.

"Yah, what are you doing?"

I don't know why but all I could do was shove my face into her body and not let go. "I missed you." I started tearing up as my body didn't know how to process the current situation.

"You missed me?"

Wait. She sounds a little different.

I pulled away and looked up. Why is Hyewon here? This is driving me crazy.

"Did you sleep here?" She holds onto my face. "Why are your eyes swollen?" she looks here and there.

All I could think about was crying. I don't believe she'll forget about me. Did I sleep through the whole surgery? Is she awake now?

I need to check even though I'll probably be shooting myself in the foot.

"Where's Minju?" That's the first thing I asked her.

She hums. "Minju?" I nodded.

She points behind her. "She's in her room."

She's not awake. She can't be awake.

"She's still in a coma, but I think she'll be waking up in a few hours." That means she's still around. She has to be.

"How long was I asleep for?"

"A few hours? How would I know how long you've been here? I was on my way to the cafeteria. But I saw you here, lying down. I thought you might be dead or something. I won't be surprised though."

I stood up, stumbling but I got a hold of myself. "Where are you going?"

I didn't bother answering and walked to the other building.

Along the way, I hoped to bump into her. If she's still a ghost, she'll be around here. But if she's not around here, she'll be in her room.

I assumed she will be in her room. She needs to tell me if it's true.

Nako's wrong. Maybe because I don't know her that well that's why she forgot about me. I've only talked to her a few times.

I'm an easy person to forget.

I stood in front of the room door, hesitant about opening it. What if her parents are there? Her brother? I don't know who's visiting.

I rubbed my eyes, trying to not show I cried or anything although it feels a little puffy.

I sniffed, getting a hold of the doorknob. I gently twisted it. She'll be there.

Taking a small step, I peeked my head inside. There wasn't anyone. Why isn't there anyone?

I looked around. Her body's here. Asleep.

Even though being awake is good, I'd prefer her to be asleep now. I don't know what was right or what was wrong.

The only thing I know is that I'll potentially be forgotten.

"Unnie?" I looked into every corner of the room.

Nothing.

What am I going to do? Somehow my head's thinking of the worst and I don't like it. I don't want to think that she'll forget me.

Why didn't she talk to me? Was this why she avoided me the first time we fought? She knew, not only how she'll drain my energy, but at the same time, she'll forget everything once she wakes up.

That's the only reason I can think of since she looked surprised. She was surprised because I didn't know the other part of her little secret.

She promised to tell me everything. Why didn't she?

Because I'll get hurt? Come on, who cares if I do? As if this doesn't hurt more than knowing earlier.

I don't blame her. Maybe she had a reason not to tell me. If I think about it hard enough, telling me would make all of our little outings miserable.

I'll keep thinking and counting down the days till she wakes up. Not because I want her to wake up so I could see her, but because she'll be waking up and living as if nothing ever happened.

It hurts to think that way.

I don't blame her that she'll forget. Because only then would I remember how someone could make me do things I didn't foresee myself doing.

At least I'll be able to remember. Someone who I'll tie shoelaces for when I don't know how to just so I could prevent her from falling for someone else.

I didn't think I'd find someone I'll risk everything for. Even when she's not seen in the real world.

I have ever wondered if she was just a dream. Then I'll be waking up having the best dream ever.

This dream of mine found the happiness I couldn't find in reality.

Maybe this all had to happen. To teach me how to let someone go, and forget everything that matters the most.

I don't know how I'll continue working here without seeing her around.

I sat on the couch, shoving my hands into my coat pockets just to feel something in them.

A piece of folded paper.

I thought it was just some random receipt I kept in there. But this was folded in the shape of an aeroplane.

If I were someone else, I'd think this was a prank by some kid. But I know someone who does this to receipts.

The only person who does it. My sister. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

I opened it anyway.

She filled every little gap with words that told me everything.

So she remembered that day. The very day I decided to fall to my knees for her.

We just didn't have enough time.

The moment I heard the door opening, I quickly wiped the tear off my cheek, putting the paper back into my pocket.

It's her brother.

"I knew you would be here," he said, closing the door. What?

He sat beside me on the couch. Compared to me, he seemed a lot happier since his sister was about to wake up.

"I miss her." he looks at me. "I'm glad you did everything you could. Six months is not a long time, but it felt like forever since the last time she set foot in the house."

He faces the bed, crossing his legs. "

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter