Mistake

Different World, Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yujin's POV

"Who were you out drinking with yesterday?"

I rubbed the back of my neck as Hyewon sat opposite me. We started our shifts not long ago and I woke up from a throbbing headache.

She passed me some liquid hangover supplements. "You knew you have a morning shift today and still." she shakes her head while I chugged the small bottle.

"It just happened," I said.

Hyewon sighs before leaning closer to me. "I heard Minju-ssi's brother got into a fight last night. At the hospital's carpark."

Fight? Her brother?

"Who? Why?"

She shrugs. "The VIP patient. I don't know if it's true. The nurses said they saw it. He was with another man." she sips on her coffee.

"I thought you would know since you're around her a lot."

"Around who?"

"Minju-ssi. Jesus Yujin, wake up. You're in charge of her."

"Well...not totally." Who could her brother be fighting with? "But what was the fight about?"

"How would I know? I'm not interested in drama," she said.

It can't be what I'm thinking about, right?

I stood up. "I'll get going first."

"So fast?" I pushed the chair and nodded.

I have to go find Minju. Maybe she knows something. But she was asleep.

I'll try Nako. 

I went toward the coma room. I looked around to make sure there weren't any people around.

Nako's sitting there as always. She saw me and waved.

I went to her and sat beside her. "Where's Minju?" she asked me.

"You didn't run into her?" She shook her head. Weird.

"Did you see what happen yesterday night?"

"Yesterday?" I nodded.

"What happened yesterday?"

"People are saying there was a fight at the carpark. What's that about?"

"Ohh that?" She knows something. "I did see two guys arguing while I was doing my night walk." They sure love walking around.

"Do you know who they are?"

"Nope, probably some drunkards." she shakes her head. "But does it have something to do with Minju?"

"Why do you say so?"

"I heard one of them shouting her name." she folds her arms. "I think they're fighting over her. They were quite good-looking, not gonna lie. Minju's pretty too."

Something's wrong here. Who's going after Minju? I can only think of one person.

"Yeah, I know. She's pretty, but I'll go find out." I stood up, wanting to leave.

"Tell me if you know anything!"

I jogged towards the lift that leads up to the VIP level. I don't want things to happen when we're so close to the end.

Before I could go anywhere further, I saw Minju walking down the hallway. She looked a little slow. The way she was walking was slower than usual.

I pointed to the door that leads to the stairs. There are too many people here.

The moment she stood in front of me, I cupped her face and examined her.

"What are you doing?"

"Are you okay?" I looked here and there, checking for any signs of bruising, making sure nothing happened to her.

Good that I don't see any.

"Apart from the headache, I'm fine—why do you look so worried?" she holds onto my hands and looks at me.

I shook my head and let go of her. "You're fine." I nodded and sighed. "Where were you the whole morning?"

"In my room, why?"

Everything should be fine then. Why do I feel so worried?

"I'm hungry." she took my wrist and dragged me out. "Since when were you hungry?" I whispered.

"I don't know. I just feel hungry." she didn't let me go and continued holding onto my arm.

I walked, bowing to the senior doctors who were passing by. "I'm not going anywhere," I said, glancing at her hand that was on my arm. "You don't have to hold onto me."

She was about to let go but I said, "But you can if you want to. There's a lot of people." I looked at her to see that same smile, but not so drunk this time.

"Where are we going?"

"Cafeteria. You said you were hungry." She nods and just follows me.

...

"You really only have a headache, that's all?" I asked as she took a bite out of her sandwich. We're sitting at the corner so it's fine.

"Is there something you're trying to tell me? That's the tenth time you're asking me that," she spoke with a mouth full.

I leaned back into the chair. Something just feels very unsettling. Why would her brother be arguing with someone outside last night? I can't wrap my head around it.

"But, how did I come back yesterday?" she looks at me.

"What how? I carried you. I nearly broke my back."

She nods slowly. "You can't remember anything?" I sat forward a little.

"No. I tend to black out after one bottle." She drank three yesterday. So much for saying she can remember.

"Why, did I do something weird?"

"Being yourself is weird enough." I chuckled, earning a glare. "You didn't do anything."

"Right, I didn't do anything. You have to tell me if I did and not keep stupid things to yourself," she warns me.

"Only I'll know then."

"Ahn Yujin, I did something, didn't I?" she knits her eyebrows together. She looks so worried when she has nothing to be embarrassed about when it's only me.

"Other than knowing how Miss Love Guru got rejected by a girl—"

"Yah!" Her sudden shout made me flinch.

"Why?"

"I told you that?" Her posture deflated as if she told me something she wasn't supposed to.

"It was something I'm supposed to take to my grave..." I heard her whisper before taking a lazy bite of her bread. "I never told anyone that." she suddenly slams her head on the table, covering her face.

She's so dramatic.

"What's so bad about being rejected? It's not everything." I poked her arm but she shook her head.

So she's just not going to talk to me anymore after revealing her little secret that she didn't want anyone to know?

"I won't tell anyone, don't worry." I ruffled her hair as she slowly raises her head, propping her chin on her forearm.

"You won't?" Why is she suddenly acting like this? All adorable. That's probably the only thing I'm not used to.

I nodded. She sighs and sits properly. "What else did I do? Nothing's worse than that." she restlessly slouches into the chair, leg hitting mine.

"You sure?"

"Yujin." She started to be all worried again which made me laugh.

"I'm joking." She must really not remember anything. But as I said, not all words are truths. I shall not bother too much about it.

"I swear, if I find out you're hiding something from me I'll kill you myself."

"Suddenly?"

"Yes, so don't keep anything from me." she acts as if she's a wife who has to know every single thing about me. Why should I tell her everything?

I looked at her as she finishes the last bit of her sandwich.

I frowned when she started to turn translucent.

Literally, translucent.

"Unnie." She looked at me while I pointed at her hands.

"What?" she looks down as her eyes slowly widen.

"You're disappearing." I looked around but we weren't out of the border or anything.

I quickly grabbed onto her hand.

"W-What's wrong with me?" Her voice trembled as I made her stand up. Maybe we're too far from her body.

"Yujin-ah," she calls while we exit the cafeteria. "I feel weird."

I wrapped my arm around her shoulder, going the way where there weren't many people.

"Hold me tightly until we reach your room." She was weak, but still did what I say.

I quicken my footsteps, reaching the lift in no time.

Why are there so many people? She's barely standing herself.

I gave up on the lift and went towards the stairs. It's only five levels.

"Can you climb?" she shook her head.

"Come on." I put her on my back and started climbing.

Hell this hurts. I hate the stairs. "Yujin-ah," she calls out sleepily.

"Hold on." Now's the time I put my jump rope legs to work. I could do plenty last time, but that was years ago.

I glanced to see her closing her eyes. "Don't sleep." she was slowly vanishing and I have no idea why.

What the is going on?

"It feels weird," she mumbles.

"Keep talking."

"Everything feels...lighter."

I swear my lungs were on the verge of exploding. We finally reached the VIP level, going out as I jogged to the room.

She kept on telling me how she felt until I entered the room to see the bed empty.

"Where's your body?" I froze on the spot. My head is not functioning. Where could she even go? The surgery's not today.

She lifts her head slightly, resting her chin on my shoulder. "Oh?"

The door opens which made me turn around. It was Chaewon.

"Unnie, where—"

"She went into a shock. She's at the operating theatre."

The operating theatres at the other block. That might be a hundred metres away from here.

But Minju should be fine as long as she's holding onto me. But why is she still disappearing?

"Which room?" Chaewon didn't say.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter