Replacement of His Shadow

Unpredictable Fate

Host       : “Now’s the time to announce this year’s champion, both team proceed to the stage.”

Woo      : “I’m so nervous right now. What if we don’t win?”

Taec       : “We tried our best. That’s the most important thing.”

Host       : “And the winner is…………….. Yunho and Changmin!! Last year’s champion couldn’t make it this year. Maybe because there’s partner change on their team. And let’s hear what the winners have to say.”

Woo      : “Oh, no.. I’m sorry Taecyeon-ssi. I should’ve train harder. Now I just brought shame to you.”

Taec       : “It’s not your fault. Luck is just not with us.” (both sighs and has sad expression)

Woo      : “Look at how proud they are..” (showing a pissed face

Taec       : “Let’s just go.”

They spend the rest of the day laying on the sofa. Wooyoung couldn’t help but letting so much sigh. They both fall asleep until evening. Taec wakes up first. He wakes Wooyoung up.

Taec       : “Wooyoung-ssi, Wooyoung-ssi.” (shaking Wooyoung)

Woo      : “What?”

Taec       : “I’m going somewhere. I’ll probably be back so late.. so..”

Woo      : “I’ll go with you. I need to clean my mind. I too stressed right now.”

Taec       : “But promise me not complain about anything. And, it’s better if you don’t say anything to me. Cause I have to relax my mind and body too.”

Woo      : “Fine with me.”

Taecyeon call someone. Renting a car.

Woo      : “Why are you renting a car? Is it somewhere far?”

Taec       : “Yes. You’ll see yourself. I’ll buy something first. You wait here for the car.”

Wooyoung waited for the car for a while. He then saw a sports car arrives at the mansion. Not long after the car, Taecyeon also arrive bringing huge plastic bag. Wooyoung doesn’t interested in knowing what’s inside it. Taecyeon puts the plastic bag on the car. They then go to some remote place, where Wooyoung completely doesn’t know. He just enjoy nice air and looking around from the car. They finally arrive on a very quiet place where nobody lives. Wooyoung wonder why Taecyeon brought him here.

Taec       : “What are you doing there? We have to climb up a little.”

Woo      : “Okay.” (Wooyoung just nodded and confused watching Taecyeon walks through stepping stones bringing huge plastic bags)

Taec       : “We’re here.” (placing the plastic bag on the ground at a small pavilion-like place)
 

Woo      :

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Whooaa, I don’t know there’s a place like this on this cliff. Oh, you could see everything from here. (excited) Even sunsets.” (amazed)

Taec       : “Lower your voice. We’re here for relaxing.”

Wooyoung nodded and sits quietly enjoying the view while Taecyeon is busy with something on the plastic bag. After a while, Taecyeon joins Wooyoung sitting comfortably on the ground. He took out something from the plastic bag. Wooyoung just watches his every move.

Taec       : “You want some?” (Showing him a bottle of vodka from the plastic bag)

Woo      : “No.. I just need this beautiful scenery.”

Taec       : (taking out 7 bottles of vodka from the plastic bag) (He opens one)

Taecyeon drinks it slowly enjoying the view. He’s waiting for sunset. He already drinks two bottles now. Wooyoung still sits quietly watching the view. He suddenly feel sad for a while, remembering his parents and sister. He feels like crying but he just can’t. He let out long sighs.

Taec       : “Are you thinking about them?”

Woo      : “Huh? Them? Who?”

Taec       : “Your family. Everything you lost.” (drinking again)

Woo      : “Yeah. This place just makes me feel empty. Why are you drinking so much?”

Taec       : “I don’t know. Maybe because Khun hyung never let me drink before.” (chuckles)

Woo      : (chuckles) “Why? Because you’re underage?”

Taec       : “Maybe. Or because he was afraid I’ll punch him for leaving me so sudden.”

Woo      : “Yeah. I know how you feel.” (watching Taec’s sad face next to him. Watching how his eyes stare meaningless)

Taec       : (chuckles) “You’re strong, you know. Compared with me. I’m pathetic. I only lost one, and you lost three. Yet your emotions are always settled. I envy you.” (Taecyeon empty the third bottle, opening the new one)

Woo      : “I guess you’re right. You’re such a baby girl. Haha.” (both laugh softly) “Look! The sun sets.”

Taec       : “Beautiful isn’t it? It reminds me of him. His bright smile, his cute face, his warm heart. It’s sad to see the sun sets in such a beauty.”

Woo      : “Look at over there. (pointing at something in the sky) Although the sun sets, there’s always a moon, shines in the dark of the night. Glittered with millions of stars. I’ll be sure we can survive and start a new beginning.” (staring at Taecyeon)

Taec       : “I hope you’re right. Cause it’s really hard for me to get rid of him.” (glancing at the left spark of sunlight)

Woo      : “Why would you get rid of him? You don’t have to. You could just think of it as a happy moment or a very nice dream. You could keep it on your heart.”

Taec       : (Drinking the whole one bottle in one shot)

Woo      : “You sure are a good drinker. But I guess it’s better if you brought glass with you.” (chuckling at how some of the liquid fall down his chin and neck like a river)

They both went silent. Enjoying the view of the night. Admiring everything they saw, forgetting all their difficulties recently. It’s been couple of hours since they enjoy the nature alone in some remote place. Wooyoung just felt lonelier. That he needs someone to cheer him, that he could cling to. He needs someone who will listen to him, to his true feeling. Someone who could calm his feeling. He turn his head, looking at Taec. Wooyoung just stare at how pointed Taec’s nose are. He heard gulping sounds from Taecyeon who is still trying to empty the fifth bottle on one shot. Wooyoung change his sight to Taecyeon’s mouth cupping the bottle. He saw some of the vodka slip his mouth and travels along Taec’s chin. Wooyoung watches how it flow to Taecyeon’s neck and stop his eyes when watching at how Taecyeon’s adam apples move with gulping sound from drinking the alcohol beverage. Wooyoung gulp his saliva. He sees Taecyeon grabbing the 6th bottle. Trying to open it.

Woo      : (grab Taecyeon’s arm) “YA! You’ve drink 5 huge bottles. Isn’t that enough?”

Taec       : “I still want more.” (releasing Wooyoung’s hand gently)

Woo      : “Taecyeon-ssi, you should stop. Your head will hurt if you continue. What if you get sick. What will I tell mom and dad?”

Taecyeon stares at Wooyoung. He could see Woo’s worried face.

Taec’s mind        : “Why does it as if it’s Khun hyung is talking to me? Why does he resemble Khun hyung so much?” (continue drinking)

Woo      : “Oh, stop drinking. (taking away the bottle from Taec’s mouth) I don’t want you to be sick.”

Taecyeon’s eyes widen. Wooyoung’s face becomes blur. It suddenly turns so look like Khun. No, it is Khun. He could hear Wooyoung talking nonstop with a worried tone. That voice is the only thing that makes him remember that the person right next to him is Wooyoung. Taecyeon keep staring at Khun’s face (the way Taec sees it) next to him. “Maybe I’m just drunk. I should stop drinking.”

Woo      : “Here. (covering Taecyeon with a blanket he found from a cabinet next to him)

Taecyeon was surprised. He keeps staring at Wooyoung with a complex emotion.

Woo      : “Taecyeon-ssi, why are you looking at me like a ert?” (blushes)

Taec       : “Why do you act like you’re him? The way you talk, the way you smile, the way you worry. Why? Why do you keep making me remember him? I thought you’re here to help me forget him. But why do you keep doing this to me? Why Wooyoung-ssi?” (A little angry)

Woo      : “What are you talking about? Are you drunk? I told you to stop drinking..”

Taec       : “Answer me. Why? Now you even look like him.”

Woo      : “Wh..what?” (Wooyoung felt a bit nervous with Taecyeon’s last words. What does he mean? Is he really think me as Khun’s replacement? Not as his new family member?)

Wooyoung look at Taecyeon’s eyes.

Taec       : “Do you really want to be him? Or do you want me to treat you the way I treat him?”

Wooyoung remain calm. His eyes keep staring at Taecyeon’s eyes. He somehow felt pity for him.

Woo      : “Taecyeon-ssi, you’re drunk. (getting up) Let’s.. Haah! (gasps)” Wooyoung gasps because Taecyeon grab his wrist, pulling him back to sit down next to him.

Taec       : “Where do you think you’re going? You want to leave me again like you died? Do you want me to suffer again? You are so cruel. Leaving me heartbroken.”

Woo      : “What are you?”

Taec       : “I want you here. Beside me.” (Taecyeon moves towards Wooyoung, leaning to him)

Woo      : (backs up) “Taecyeon-ssi..” (Wooyoung blushes, he saw Taecyeon’s charming face right in front of him. His heart skip a bit)

Taec       : (he moves his head closer to Wooyoung (Khun in Taec’s head) ‘s face) (Their eyes met)

When Taecyeon is about to kiss him, suddenly Wooyoung speaks up.

Woo      : “Taecyeon-ssi, can’t you look at me as myself? What am I to you?”

Taecyeon stops, realizing that the person he’s about to kiss is not Khun but Wooyoung.

Taec       : “Wooyoung-ssi..”

Woo      : (Look at Taecyeon’s eyes) “Do you think me as his substitute?”

Taec       : “I..”

Woo      : “Cause the truth is I need someone to lean on. And I think I’ve fallen for you. But if you can’t think me as myself.. I’m okay.. (his lips tremble saying this) As long as you treat me like you treat him..  I’m okay as a replacement, h.. hy.. Taecyeon-hyung.”

Wooyoung grabs Taecyeon’s face, pulling it to his face, and kisses his lips softly. Taecyeon couldn’t say anything or do anything. His body doesn’t react. He just let the shorter boy deeping the kiss. Wooyoung couldn’t control himself. Taecyeon at first was confused and hesitated. But after a while he replies the kiss. He kisses Wooyoung the way Wooyoung kissed him. But not long after he kisses Wooyoung, he fall unconscious. Falling on wooyoung’s chest.

Woo      : “hmm? Ah, he fall asleep.” (Looking at Taecyeon) “What did I do?”(slapping his face over and over) “Oh, no.. Wait, I’m not even a gay.  I even said that I’m okay with being a replacement. What a cheap guy I am. Oh, god.” (covering his face) “But it’s actually not that bad. He’s a nice guy after all. I think I can depend on him. Hihihi.” (Wooyoung giigles covering his face shyly)

Wooyoung placed Taecyeon on his lap. He watches Taecyeon in his slumber. Wooyoung look around. The place is so peaceful. He feels like living there forever. He keep staring at Taecyeon. Caressing his face. Watching Taecyeon sleep, he slowly falls into a deep slumber.