Chapter 19

If The World Is Ending...

"Why are you really here?"

 

"As I said, I'm just protecting Hyewon from something that no one can stop, not even me, Ms. Park."

 

"And locking her memories is what you call protecting?"

 

"I knew you'd never understand... Hyewon was so close to exploding before. If you were only there when her hands were soaked with Ms. Jennie's blood after I killed her, maybe you'd understand me more."

 

The two were supposedly talking about Suhyun making progress. But instead, the latter came clean that she deliberately screwed her previous organization over to protect Hyewon. They have discussed how did Suhyun found out the place and it was her who tipped them about Hyewon, that Hyewon never really succeeded in manipulating her memories when she failed to patch her up that day.

 

"It would be better if I take Hyewon back in our lab. We already talked about this earlier and she agreed." Suhyun fixed her posture and went over to the older mutant's spot. "It was very delightful meeting you," she offered the older woman a handshake.

 

"Let us help you. If your father found out Hyewon's ability, I'm sure he'll make something out of it to their advantage. I wanna help you and protect you."

 

Suhyun smiled at the concern. It made her heart flutter, it was known that it has been a while since the last time someone genuinely cared for their being. "Let's leave it for Hyewon to decide," Suhyun could only say even though she knew Hyewon would turn down the offer too.

 

A few seconds passed, Hyewon entered the room with Dr. Myoui trailing behind. She politely greets Ms. Park. "I'm guessing that she has told you everything?" Hyewon sadly smiles.

 

"You don't have to leave, Hyewon. You two are much better and safer here."

 

"We know, Ms. Park. But the other mutants won't be. We're not only putting their lives in their danger but the world as well. We need to go back to Lykos--" Hyewon was cut when a staff came rushing. "Ms. Park, you have to check the news." The staff took the liberty to open the television inside the office.

 

The two man-made mutants were shocked by the news. Another mutant was causing chaos in the City Hall again. They already had a hunch that it was the people who were they just talking about.

 

"Why does it look like a combination of Ms. Minjoo Kim and Ms. Chaewon Kim?" Ms. Park said out loud. More confused about why the chaotic mutant looked like her students.

 

"They're anxious... We need to go back to them," Suhyun spoke.

 

"What do you mean?" Dr. Myoui asked.

 

"They were supposed to release her a week after the completion. After further research. They are simply acting out of impulse, it would hurt in their end but would hurt for the civilians even more," Suhyun explained.

 

"You two know their weak points, right? Stay here with us. We'll create a mutant task force to help you. We'll take them down," Ms. Park insisted.

 

"We both know that you can do anything mutant-related. Not until you have the government's approval nor support. I'm afraid your hands are tied up," Hyewon answered. She turned to Suhyun, "We leave tonight. Is that alright?"

 

"Of course. I understand you have to say your farewells to your friends," Suhyun replied with a small smile.

 

*****

 

"Okay, you girls better behave. They're coming," Yena discreetly whispered as they welcome the two mutants with warm smiles.

 

They get along better than they thought. They told Suhyun funny stories about Hyewon's stay in the Academy. When the laughter subsided, Suhyun took the opportunity to talk. "I'm really sorry about the mess I did. Especially you two," Suhyun faced Minjoo and Chaewon to bow while apologizing.

 

"You remember everything?" Yena gasped.

 

"Yes. I was just ordered but I know it was unreasonable. Again, I'm sorry. I'll make it up to you in any way possible."

 

"Let it go. It was all in the past," Yujin said flatly. Although she's still wary about Suhyun’s intentions she set them aside for now and behaved herself for Hyewon's sake.

 

Spending the whole afternoon with Hyewon’s friend made Suhyun happy. She had never imagined that one of them could possibly live a somewhat normal life. Let alone make friends that would stay by her side no matter what.

 

On their way back to the room, Suhyun spoke. "Eunbi is very beautiful, isn't she?" She wanted to see how Hyewon will react. Judging the latter's action, she knew she was right; Eunbi is more than a friend for Hyewon.

 

Hyewon nodded to answer. "You like her?" Suhyun caught Hyewon off guard, it took her a few seconds to answer, "Yes... But she doesn't deserve to get involved with whatever the hell is going on with my life. She deserves better, the best to be honest. I can never give her that."

 

The answer made Suhyun wish that she just died instead of Jennie. She knew to herself that when she was told to kill the lady, she had a choice. She wasn't given a choice by the organization but Jennie did and now with everything happening, she can't help but think of the what-ifs. Hyewon will surely cause hell once she finds out sooner.

 

"Maybe one day? Some other lifetime?" She gave Hyewon a pat on the back. Her feelings for the girl haven't changed at all. Even if she wants Hyewon to love her back again, she knew she can't. Eunbi is different, she's special.

 

"Maybe..."

 

*****

 

Eunbi woke up in the middle of the night. She's used to sharing the room with Hyewon and now she's not, Eunbi was somehow having trouble with sleeping.

 

Tonight, she was feeling a little bit different compare to the other nights. Unsettled with her own thoughts, she carefully stepped out of the room to go to Wonyoung's. Who's room is located on the other side. She passed the main hall stairs when she heard faint conversations. Hearing a familiar voice, she followed them instead of going to her destination. Stealthily kept herself hidden, she has now recognized the voices; Ms. Park and Hyewon’s.

 

"What are they doing this late?"

 

"Thank you for everything, Ms. Park. I wish nothing but success with your endeavors."

 

"I could say the same thing with you, Hyewon. You two have a great heart. Keep yourselves safe, okay? I hope you two will succeed with whatever you have planned."

 

Eunbi peaked. She saw a car waiting. Suhyun was watching the two hug after Ms. Park gave the car keys. Hyewon walked to the driver's seat. "Thank you for keeping her safe even for a short time. I'm sorry if I've caused trouble on your end. I'll make it right this time," Suhyun bowed.

 

"It was nothing, Suhyun. I would've done the same thing if it was you. I understand you're situation." The two shook hands. They bid farewell in a much more formal way.

 

Along with Ms. Park, Eunbi watched the car disappear. She was still clueless about why did the two leave and where are they going. Eunbi immediately ran back to her room. She's now wide awake. A lot of questions arose in her thoughts.