Chapter 27

If The World Is Ending...

Thankfully the team arrived safely back at the school. Nurses and teachers welcomed them to treat their wounds immediately. "How many casualties?" the Headmistress asked once Eunbi was healed.

 

"Everyone's dead, Miss. Probably us too if Yujin and Chayeon didn't arrived on time. It's a different mutant this time, she not the one who's with Hyewon. She multiplied as many as us the moment she arrived and each duplicate have powers. She's far more dangerous than the other mutant."

 

Ms. Park nods. "Join your friends and rest. It's time for the adults to take chagre. Thank you."

 

As the two were talking, Yujin carefully sneaks to find Momo. With her super-speed, she immediatley found the older mutant. "Okay, so in theory, my plan could actually work? That's what you were saying to me earlier, right?"

 

"Hello to you ,too." Momo was obviously surprised to see the young mutant. "Only if you managed to survive that jump. In theory, yes," she clarifies.

 

"Are you now telling me that I could die?"

 

"No. I'm saying that you will die. If not after the jump, most probably while during the jump. There are still many things to consider that could happen to you and god only knows what."

 

"So now my theory is useless? Just like that?" Yujin's already frustrated as they speak. She badly wants to help but she can't die and leave Minjoo alone. "I mean what's even the use of this power if I can't save the people I love?"

 

Momo approches the young mutant and taps her shoulder to comfort. "We can't always save everyone," she says sadly. She understands ther speedster's sentiment, she's just a kid after all.

 

Yujin thanked Momo and run to Minjoo. The former mutant almost fall on the floor from the surprise and impact. Yujin hugs her girlfriend tightly. "I can't save everyone," she cries.

 

Minjoo instantly hugs Yujin back, whispering words that might comfort her girlfriend when the younger starts blaming herself. "It's not your fault. You did everything you can, Daeng."

 

Yujin pulls away slight from the hug. She looks ate her directly in the eye and says, "Not everything... Minjoo, i love you. So much. I promise you, I will find you and love you, and only you in our next lives." For Minjoo, it almost sounded like a good-bye but she did not think much of it. Given the state of her girlfriend, she thought Yujin might be feeling a rush of overwhelming emotions. After all, her girlfriend just saw people die first-hand.

 

*****

"I think we already lost, Uno," Suhyun says as she tries to catch her breath. The two were hiding inside a cave in the woods.

 

"Probably not for long. We need to get to the Academy. We need to warn them and keep the other mutants safe from Lykos--"

 

"Do you hear yourself? Going to that school will do more harm than keeping them safe. What we need to is take down Uno and Lykos. That's the only way to keep other mutants safe, Hyewon."

 

"And what if they come after them first? They are gonna die! They could only hide there for a short time, we need to warn them!"

 

"Can we just take a minute to breathe then think? Us screaming won't help us but Uno. That is probably turning every tone upside down tracking us," Suhyun said.

 

Hyewon tried to think for a solution once she finally caught her breath but, all that she can think of is going to the Academy and make sure Eunbi and her friends are safe. No matter what ways she tries to think to get there and keep them safe, it all falls back to the risk of Uno erasing the whole school.

 

"How about this? You go there whil I try to distract Uno? But you have to promise me that they will all be safe, that not even single member of the government nor Lykos will ever find them. Not until we made sure that it's safe," Suhyun suggested and Hyewon launched herself to hug the oder mutant.

 

Suhyun's plan was brilliant but then Hyewon realized something, "You can't take Uno alone... You'll be dead by the time I come back for you. You can't die-- I won't let you die."

 

Suhyun smirked, "Then I guess you just have to be fast to come back and rescue me..." She moves closer to Hyewon and cupped her cheek, "They need you more than I do. She needs you than I do."

 

Hyewon removes Suhyun's hand from her face. "No! I had enough of people sacrficing themselves for me. Jennie was the first and the last person that will sacrifice her life for me."

 

"Then what do you suggest we do? And make it fast because Uno is closer and closer to finding us with every second."

 

With a couple of breathing exercise that Eunbi taught her, Hyewon managed to tweak Suhyun's plan to perfection. "We are pushing through with your plan but, I'll distract Uno and you go to the Academy instead," she says.

 

Suhyun was hesitant at first but, after some more discussing and planning, she finally considered the plan more effective and safer than whatever Hyewon might think of next. Now that they have finally agreed on the details, they just have to stick on it and make sure it will work "See you later?" she asks Hyewon as they prepare to part ways.

 

Hyewon hugs her again, "I'll see you later."

 

*****

They are all together in the medical wing, resting. They are healed, yes but, the pain still lingers in their system. If they were ordinary, the wounds that they have are enough to kill them but, luckily they aren't and they have people who treated them quick enough.

 

A nurse approaches them, "Does any of you want to distract yourselves from the pain?" she offers the remote which Eunbi politely takes. "I'm gonna need to step out for a while. Please keep yourselves rested until I get back for our last session," the nurse whispered to Eunbi.

 

The tired girl replies a nod. "We will," she assure with a small smile. The nurse leaves the room, cueing their other friend to enter.

 

"Is it weird that all the medical staffs are gone? Considering you guys are quite handful and needs to be watched," Chaewon quipped. Despite the latter's enthusiasm, they all remained quiet. Still processing what happened back in the woods. Eunbi turns the television on to fill the unfamiliar quitness.

 

Their attention suddenly all shifted to the appliance, displaying a news flash that the President has been rescued by a two mutants and the men behind the kidnapping have already been captured. "How can she she rescue him when she's the one who took the President in the first place?" The others who we're left behind for the stakeout can only look at Eunbi with confusion.

 

"Let's not also ignore the other girl with her. She's the one who attacked us out of nowhere," Yena added.

 

"... Lastly, I'd like thank these two Mutants," pointing the women standing behind him, "For saving my life without hesitation. Their bravery made me realized that not all mutants are violent, they have the same compassion as us. Lost maybe, but we just need to step up and save them-- guide their kind for better life, to live as normal as possible like us. And so, I'm making an announcement that finally, there will be a law that will protect every single mutant existing. We will create an environment where us and Mutants can live in a harmony." The President ended his speech then proceeds to award a medal each for the mutants.

 

"Where are you going?" Minjoo asked when she saw Eunbi trying to stand up.

 

"We need to warn the Headmistress. This must be some ploy from Lykos. Who knows the President might be threatened or worse, hypnotized." Realizing the possibility, they all followed Eunbi.

 

*****

"You have to trust me on this!" Suhyun pleads. She just arrived on time after the emergency staff meeting the Headmistress called in earlier.

 

"I'm sorry but I can't risk my students life any further. If you just saw how bad they were hurt when they arrived, you'd understand. And I'm sure she will," Ms. Park replied as she continues to pack up important papers in her office. With or without Suhyun's warning, she already planned on evacuating with everyone in the school. 

 

"I'm not asking you to send all of your students with me. Hell, your staffs can! Hyewon will die fighting both of them if you don't help us and she's the only one who can possibly stop all of this! Please, Ms. Park, help us..." Their plan didn't invovled recruiting but after finding out that there is another powerful mutant as Uno, Suhyun needed to compromise and help Hyewon.

 

"Miss! Miss! We--" the group entered the office with a heavy tension that made them stop on their tracks. "What are you doing here?" Yujin asked with a glare. The young mutant was obviously holding a grudge against Suhyun.

 

"Miss, the mutant who attacked us was with Uno! Lykos is defiitely behind the President's announcement! We have to do something!" Eunbi ignored Suhyun. She did not even bat an eye nor question her pressence, opposite of what Yujin did.

 

"Jennie was the one who attacked you? That's impossible, she died a long time ago," Suhyun said with disbelief.

 

Eunbi finally looks at her way. Hearing the familiar name, she repeats it as if she's asking Suhyun to explain, "Jennie?"

 

Sakura hands her phone, showing an article from the internet with the picture from earlier's announcement/awarding. "Okay, that's definitely Jennie but it still doesn't make sense. She died saving Hyewon from the organization years ago," Suhyun says.

 

"Suhyun, Jennie or not, I'm sorry but my answer remains the same. We can no longer help you," Ms. Park joins the conversation before her students could think of anything that might put themselves in danger. "As for all of you, go back to your rooms and pack. Your fellow students are probably packing as well. We're leaving in 20 minutes," she instructed to the group.

 

Suhyun can't help herself but to clenched her fist. "If you're really just going to run and hide, you better make sure Lykos will never find you or that will be the end of everyone. And make no mistake, when that time comes, everyone's death will be on your hands." The mutant then leaves the place to go back to Hyewon.