Chapter 12

If The World Is Ending...

The Academy was on lockdown, classes and training are suspended till further notice. The whole place was also full of armed men, on alert for any possible threats that may occur.

 

The Headmaster was in the middle of meeting with the board members and a representative from the government and the parents of the students.

 

"You need to send those kids back to their families and surrender the ones with no families to us!" The representative of the government spoke.

 

"I'm afraid we cannot do that, Mr. Kim. These kids are safer here than being exposed in the public," the Headmaster replied.

 

"They're already in danger! How can you let those bastards find out your location?!" The representative from the parents association spoke in anger.

 

"Mrs. Shin, the teachers are already doing an inspection about that. Any suspicious item or movement from anyone will be reported to me immediately. I assure you, we're trying our best to come up with a solution." Ms. Park calmly answered.

 

The government representative scoffed, "Let's all put an emphasis on the word "trying". And let's not also forget that the rogue mutant who caused chaos last time is yet to be apprehended. How can we be sure that it's not one of your students? Worse, you're protecting her from us."

 

"How dare you insult and accuse Jihyo?! Do you have any idea how hard she's been working day and night to resolve these issues while making sure that these students are kept safe? Do you?" Tzuyu can't hold back her anger. She could never stand someone insulting her partner and her abilities to get her works done.

 

"This is a waste of time. You should've listened to me before, when I told you to surrender every mutant instead of putting them in one place, Jihyo. We're sending these kids back to their family and the government will collect everyone who doesn't have one. That's final," the representative rudely disconnects from their meeting.

 

"I'm sorry, Ms. Park but I think the majority of the parents will also agree with Mr. Kim this time. I'll inform the others and we'll pick the kids up two days from now. Thank you for keeping our children safe," Mrs. Lee bowed before she left the meeting, leaving the rest of the board members and Jihyo.

 

The board members leave the room one by one after saying their own piece to Jihyo. The Headmaster can't decide for the children's welfare but that doesn't mean they have already done it just because the government says so. They all agreed on the same thing after all; keep their kind safe.

 

"Jihyo... Hyewon is already in the other room with Mina. They're only waiting for you," Tzuyu informed.

 

"Thank you, Tzuyu. I can take it from here."

 

"Call me if you need anything. I'll just help the others with checking on the students."

 

*****

 

"You called for us?" The 9 mutants entered the Headmaster's office. A few hours have passed and they're all hopeful that they were called in to receive an update about their friends. The 9 immediately sat when they got the signal, Eunbi and Chaeyeon were sitting at the front of the desk while the others occupy the two couches.

 

"We found this," Jihyo showed a zip lock bag with a chip inside, "on your stuff. Specifically on Yujin's film camera." The group was shocked, they have the idea that its a tracking device.

 

"I bought it from the market the other day, Miss."

 

"We know, Dr. Myoui and Ms. Son already vouched that you did. I was going to ask you if you remember the seller? Describe her while a sketch artist will try to draw the person so we can immediately catch him or her."

 

Yujin stepped out of the office with Ms. Chou to meet the sketch artist waiting in the other room. While she was out, Ms. Park continued talking to the other girls. "I know you're wondering where's Hyewon right now... She's with Dr. Myoui preparing to undergo Cerebrus."

 

"Cerebrus? What's that?" Chaeyeon asked.

 

"It's a machine that we developed. It can go through one's memory and record it. It's like smart tv to put it in an easy description." The group could only hum in chorus. Nobody is really in a mood to ask about the machine and whatnot.

 

"Ms. Park, do you have any updates with our friends?" Yuri cautiously asked. She's been wanting to ask that since they entered but she doesn't want to come off as a disrespectful kid.

 

"We're still collecting any possible clues that might help us to locate them. We're really trying our best, girls. I'll update you as soon as we find something," Ms. Park softly answered before letting them all go back to their rooms and rest. Eunbi stayed tho.

 

"Ms. Park... I should've said this sooner but whenever Hyewon struggles with her nightmares, she calls someone for help. She keeps calling this Suhyun person... What's really happening with Hyewon?"

 

"I think it would be better to see it for yourself. Come with me."

 

The two mutants immediately went to the laboratory-like office. It was Eunbi's first time inside the room. She doesn't even know that there's a room like this until now.

 

"There are probably a lot more secret rooms like this... Perhaps a hidden passage as well?" Eunbi thought while she scans the whole room before they entered another room.

 

Eunbi was now standing inside the control room, silently watching her two superiors work on the machine that's connected to her roommate's head. She can clearly see and hear everything that's going on with Hyewon's mind. It was like scanning through numerous channels of a television.

 

"Does she have to be tied down to the chair?" Eunbi asked.

 

"That's her request every session... Aren't you supposed to be sleeping like the other students?" Dr. Myoui didn't bother to look since she was busy checking Hyewon's vitals.

 

"I can't. I just can't," Eunbi simply replied.

 

A memory suddenly started to play. It seemed like Hyewon was inside a van with other people.

 

"Okay, what would you do if we were given a day off? You know, like, total freedom for a day. No mission or whatever." Eunbi was sure that it was Hyewon who just spoke.

 

The person that Hyewon was talking to scoffed, "As if they would! We can't even go to the playground and play."

 

"Come on, Hyun! Just play along."

 

"Hyun? Her name can't possibly be Suhyun, right?" Eunbi comforts herself. Not wanting to believe her own theory.

 

"Fine. If we get a day off, I want us to go to an amusement park and ride everything we can until it closes. But a trip to a beach would be nice too. You'd prefer that, right?"

 

"Honestly, I'm fine with everything as long as you're with me." Eunbi doesn't know why but her heart stung a bit when she saw how warm Hyewon smiled at the person she was talking to. Hyewon was also so soft-spoken like she was very comfortable talking to the point she can say whatever she has on her mind.

 

"Let's get that day off! Let's get the work done!" The other person cheered.

 

The next thing displayed on the screen was people drenched in their own blood and Hyewon was nonchalantly pulling the lifeless body to stock them in a pile.

 

"I changed my mind... Why not conquer the world if we were given a day off? It would be a piece of cake as long as we work together. We don't have to work for Lykos anymore, we can turn it around and control them. You, me, and Dad could rule the world. What do you think, Hyewon?" They were shocked to see a familiar face, Hyewon was talking to the same person who was on the news for almost destroying the Townhall.

 

"Whatever you want, Suhyun." There it was again, that sting on Eunbi's heart. It was the same smile that made her insides warm but she can't understand why does it hurt when Hyewon does it to her specifically. She didn't feel anything like this when Hyewon smiled at her friends like that.

 

The next memory played was Hyewon being marked. The designed metal burned her skin layer by layer until it makes its mark. The room was filled with Hyewon's pain and it wasn't the end of it. After burning her skin, they tied her down and traced the mark with ink.

 

Eunbi felt bad that Hyewon has to go through all these pains again to know who she was and what kind of person she was. Eunbi hopes that Hyewon realizes that this was all in the past and whatever future holds for her depends on how she is right now.

 

The scream of Hyewon in pain brought Eunbi back from her trance. There was nothing playing but it seemed like something's happening inside her head.

 

"Help her! She's hurting!" Eunbi cried. Hyewon was screaming and grunting. The latter was moving left and right, trying to break herself free.

 

"Doc, she's talking to someone," a man informed his superior.

 

"Try to see if we can get to listen and know who is she talking to. I want three shots of tranquilizers on standby," Dr. Myoui calmly instructed while she looks at Hyewon's vitals very closely.

 

"We got audio but this is loudest we can hear," the same man informed and the whole personnel went quiet as possible.

 

"What do you want?" Hyewon said.

 

"Why are you always in a rush? Busy? Tsk! Too bad. I was hoping that you'd want an update from your two friends." Suhyun sighed, "I guess I'll leave you alone now."

 

"Wait! Tell me, are they still alive?"

 

"Very much! If you heard their screams, you'd love it! Remember when we used to bet on who among our targets can scream higher than 130 decibels? These two would win if you ask me." It was horrifying how the two nonchalantly talked about others' pain. As if they're used to it and it doesn't even surprise.

 

"Give them back!" Hyewon screamed.

 

The next words Suhyun said took everybody by surprise, "Oh! Hey, y'all! Welcome to Suhyun and Hyewon's torture podcast. Where your pain is our music! I didn't know we have fans that are listening to us right now."

 

After those words, they lost connection but Hyewon was still struggling on the chair. Hyewon was still communicating but her mind was blocked. The Headmaster tried going in by herself but she failed.

 

Eunbi racked her brain off to come with any ideas that might help save Hyewon but she got nothing. Her mind was already its limit today and she's sure there would be smoke coming out of her head now if she was a machine.