Chapter 17

If The World Is Ending...

After thinking it thoroughly, they have finally decided to consider Suhyun’s suggestion. They gathered all hydrokinetic mutants and observed if any of them is mentally and physically strong enough to do the job. Since it’s a rare ability and meticulous task their list narrowed to three.

Hitomi was with her friends outside the manor. Basking in the warmth of the sun in the middle of winter. It’s a perfect day to be lazy.

“Don’t you find it suspicious? Out of all people who could suggest something that could possibly work, it came from her. She who worked for the same people who took their abilities,” Yujin commented, cuddled with Minjoo for extra heat.

“Here we go again! Daeng, can’t you give her a break? At least she was trying to help, maybe it was her subconscious talking. I mean, name someone who could possibly think the same thing as her. Go!” Yena waited for the latter’s answer, “See? You can’t, right? Let’s just be happy that their chances of getting their powers back are on the table again.”

“I still find it amusing how you can mediate during these tough times,” Yuri lovingly whispered, leaning on her girlfriend’s shoulder. The group has their different opinions but they can’t also deny the fact that Yena has made a point.

“You guys know what I find weird?” all of them looked at Hitomi and waited for her answer. “How dumb of us to be out here despite the cold,” Hitomi warmed her hands and stood up. The rest laughed and followed suit.

“I think we had enough sun today,” Chaewon chuckled.

As they enter the manor, they ran into two mutants sharing a laugh. Hyewon cleared as soon as she met their eyes, some looked away while the others nodded and return a smile.

“Oh god! I really hate her to bits!” Yujin groaned and walk ahead of the rest. She can't take how can Suhyun smile at her after doing something horrible.

“I’m not gonna lie, I’m still scared to be in the same room as Suhyun but I already forgave her because we can see how Hyewon became brighter,” Minjoo said while they are still watching the two figures disappear. “Although I ran out of things to say to Yujin to open her mind,” she added.

“We just need to give that kid more time. For now, we'll watch Suhyun and Hyewon under the radar. I love Hyewon but I still don’t know what to believe,” Chaewon spoke.

“Change topic; has anyone seen Eunbi?” Wonyoung worriedly asked. “The last time she joined us was during lunch two days ago.”

“I recently see her often with Sian,” Yuri answered as the group continued their walk.

*****

Eunbi and Sian were outside on the far end of the manor. The two were having a snowball fight. Sian just let Eunbi rain her with snowballs. It was how Eunbi let her emotions out since they weren’t allowed to use the gym unless it’s during their training or someone has to supervise.

“Argh! I hate her face!” Eunbi screamed and threw a big snowball on Sian’s way. “Can you keep those snowballs in uniform? Because I think if you don’t, I’ll have this circle mark all over my body,” Sian took cover for the first time.

Eunbi then stopped. She’s already tired and the cold made it harder to breathe. “I’m sorry. I just can’t stand how can she not be bothered to check on any of us. Like, hello, we’re her friends. I’m her roommate, goddamn it!” it came out louder than Eunbi thought. Sian can’t help but laugh at the reaction. “Roommate? Eun, you're acting like a jealous girlfriend right now,” Sian teased that earning her a smack on her arm. “But seriously tho, why don’t you guys try to make the first move? If Suhyun doesn’t really remember anything, it’s understandable that she would only cling to Hyewon. And you’ll be able to watch her closely. Both of them.”

“That crosses my mind already but have you seen how Yujin’s mood shift whenever she sees either one of them? She even cursed boldly! Easier said than done,” Eunbi sighed. They stayed quiet for a solid minutes before Eunbi turned to Sian, “Why don’t you try to befriend her? That would be less suspicious, don’t you think?”

Sian laughed as if it was the greatest that was ever told. “Oh! You’re serious?” Eunbi nodded. “As much I’d like to help but I think before I could introduce myself to Suhyun, she’ll be choking me to death already. I don’t wanna mess with someone’s first love.”

“Really? You're going that low? You could’ve just said no,” Eunbi rolled her eyes and started walking away. She knew Sian was only teasing and she was thankful for the latter’s honest teasing. Not that she thinks her friends don’t give a damn about her but she finds it awkward that her friends hold themselves back.

“Wait up!” Sian runs after while laughing.

It’s like the world is playing with Eunbi. They were just talking about two mutants and now the four of them are facing each other. Eunbi and Hyewon avoided each other’s gaze and Sian took the hint. “Hi! I’m Sian, a telekinetic. You’re Suhyun, right?” Sian offered for a handshake that Suhyun gladly took. “It was nice to meet you but Eun and I have to go. We have a study date.”

“You guys are a couple? That’s so cute!” Suhyun gushed. “When will you confess your love for me, huh? We could beat them to becoming the power couple,” Suhyun joked but made the atmosphere darker. Sian doesn’t know if she did great or she should start praying for life depending on how Hyewon looks at her.

“Have a good day, you two.” Eunbi immediately pulled Sian away. “Why would you say that?!” Eunbi slaps Sian’s arm nonstop.

“I need to make up something! You two were so awkward and it was torture for me as an audience!” Sian defended herself as she eases her arm.

Eunbi groaned and stormed off.

*****

“You did amazing,” Hyewon smiling said after Suhyun’s session. The latter was told to show her abilities she knew and the two mutants supervising them were surprised to see that Suhyun mastered not only two but three. They never knew that they would be able to see Suhyun’s bulletproof ability firsthand. She also perfectly shifted herself to Hyewon in a short time. The third was what really caught them by surprise was Suhyun can predict the future. She blurted out of nowhere that Ms. Park would receive a call from the government’s representative regarding all the mutants left in the Academy.

“Great work today, Suhyun. We’re close to making a conclusion,” Dr. Myoui smiled as Ms. Park is still on call with the representative. “How are you adjusting here by the way?”

“Just fine, Doc. I have Hyewon here.” Dr. Myoui would actually believe the girl’s sweet smile innocent if she didn’t know her history. If ordinary people saw Suhyun, they would never guess how dark and horrifying this girl could be with her hands.

“That’s good to know,” Dr. Myoui softly smiled. “By the way, Hyewon, don’t forget your session with us later tonight, okay?”

“Of course, Doc.”

The two walked back to their room. Suhyun was taking her shower when Hyewon’s mind suddenly thought of Eunbi. How she badly missed the warmth of the older mutant. Of course, she misses the rest of her gang but with Yujin still aloof, she thought it's better to leave them alone for now.

Suhyun was wearing Hyewon’s hoodie since the girl doesn’t really have her own set of clothes. And then Hyewon thought of Eunbi again. How could Eunbi still look beautiful with disheveled wet hair and comfortably wearing her baggy clothes? With a sigh, Hyewon stood up from her bed and took her shower as well leaving Suhyun the whole room to herself for a moment.

While Hyewon was in the shower, Suhyun looked at Hyewon’s stuff. She saw a familiar bracelet set on her side table. Suhyun was sure she saw someone with the same bracelet. Getting nothing with her own mind, she carefully puts it back and continued rummaging Hyewon’s stuff. This time she saw an old photo with her and Hyewon and a lady. Hyewon and the lady were smiling widely. Suhyun takes a closer look and saw that the lady was wearing an ID with the same logo as their tattoo.

“Jennie Kim?” Suhyun read. “I wonder who she is? We’ve never been close to anyone in the lab other than Dad… Is she mom? Nah! We don’t have a maternal figure…” Suhyun was talking to herself then a memory played in her subconscious.

She was distraught, her whole body was almost covered with blood. She wasn’t sure if it was hers or somebody else’s. “Hyewon!” She heard her own voice, she was running to her and a lady was holding her hand. Just then she was tasered and pulled by two big men, “Hye!” “Hyewon!” she heard herself scream again but her voice was desperate compared to earlier. Trying to break free her small figure two men, she used her all strength but to no avail. She tried calling the girl once again but Hyewon didn’t look back and run away with the lady.

Suhyun was brought to reality when Hyewon shook her shoulder lightly, “Hey. You okay?”

“Yeah… Uhm… Hye…” Suhyun was contemplating whether she should ask or not. “What is it? You can tell me anything,” Hyewon encouraged.

“Who is she? We don’t have anyone close to us other than Dad, right?” Suhyun finally asked and pointed to the lady in the picture.

“Oh… Ms. Jennie…” Hyewon face turned sad for a short moment. “She was our teacher back in the lab. She taught us different languages and she also helped us get accustomed to mundane things and whatnot.”

“Was she ever good to us?”

“She was the nicest person we’ve ever met,” Hyewon sadly smiled. “But she is long gone now. Lykos hunted her down for some reason.”

“Oh… That’s a shame… I wish she could’ve met us now and knew how great we are doing being free from Lykos…”

“Yeah… I’m sure she knows and she’s proud of us.” Suhyun swore that a tear escaped from Hyewon’s eyes and that irked her. She wants to know how this lady related them specifically to have Hyewon teared up.