Chapter 29

If The World Is Ending...

"This procedure won't be easy," Dr. Myoui warns before explaining her theory to the Headmistress. It was true. The doctor had spent countless sleepless nights just trying to figure out what formula alone, and sleepless nights turned to rest-less days for her to finally reverse the equations of the formula. All that was left of her theory was to test and see if will it work. 

"We need the kids to make their choice," Dr. Myoui adds after her thorough explanation.
Calling on Minjoo and Chaewon, they arrived at the new office of the Headmistress with their friends tagging along. Let's just say that they won't let another one from their group meet the Headmistress alone after the fiasco, and they've decided to always stick together whenever and wherever.

"You are all here...? You know what, that's better actually," the Headmistress quipped.

"You called for us?" Minjoo asks.

"Yeah. You and Chaewon will be able to get your powers back soon," the group automatically cheered, "But, we want you girls to decide for yourselves. So, do you want them back?" Ms. Park added.

Chaewon and Minjoo shared a look. You don't need superpowers to communicate with a long-time friend telepathically. All you need is one good look at each other to know everything. "What happens after we get them back?" Chaewon asks.

"Well, you guys will have to start again with the lessons until you get familiarized with your powers. You will continue with your classes--"

Minjoo cuts her sentence, "No. What happens now after we get them? Will we be able to help Chaeyeon and Yujin bring them here with us?" the mutant clarifies.

It took a minute for the Headmistress to answer, and she looks at her colleague for help. "We're sure you'll get your powers back but we're not yet sure if you girls will be able to use them right away after the procedure. That's why Jihyo told you that you will have to start from zero with controlling it," Dr. Myoui answered.

"Then what's the point of having it back? I'd rather not have them again if it means I have to watch people suffer right now. I mean, what's the difference after all, right? You don't want us to help! Everyone's suffering will be on your hands for not helping them, especially our friends. And I will ing take that to my grave!" Hitomi quickly ran after Chaewon when she walked out of the office.

On the other hand, Minjoo was trying to weigh her options; what would be the pros and cons for her? Dr. Myoui notices it, so she speaks, "If you want some time to think, we are more than happy to give you time. Hopefully, by then, Chaewon had changed her mind. Your group has so much potential."

*****
"That's your brilliant plan?! Shoot your shot to the unknown?! Yuj, I know time travel could work, heck! That's even Minjoo's power, but no one has successfully jumped back in time that far. The farthest jump back that our kind made was two days, and here you are, talking about going back months ago," Chaeyeon says. As they pastime, she asks Yujin why she stayed, makes sure the kid would not lie and tells her every bit of the plan.

"Hey! Momo said it was possible, okay? And that's enough for me. Plus, I'm not asking you to go back with me. I just need you to be sure our friends are safe, including Hyewon..."

"Ugh! Fine! But I'm not explaining to Minjoo why you decided to go suicidal," Chaeyeon answered while rolling her eyes. "Since you are so sure about going back, what will happen if your plan succeeds? Are you going to jump back to this time right now, or will that change as well? What's going to happen to us after?" Chaeyeon waited for an answer, but Yujin did not give her one. Not even a sigh. "Be honest with me; how far did you think this plan through? You're not giving me answers, kid. Protecting our friends includes you, too. You're one of us."

And then Yujin came clean. She repeat her plan but now includes her possibility of dying during the attempt or after. "With that on the deck, I don't know what's going to happen me or to you after. I'm really sorry if I can't answer any more of your questions," Yujin said. Chaeyeon sighed and hugged the taller mutant to comfort her.

"Okay, before you disagree with me, tell me you will listen to what I have in mind," Chaeyeon waited for Yujin's response, and the latter nodded in her agreement, "We go to our friends and ask for their help. Nine heads are better than two, yes?"

"Nine? We are not going to ask Ms. Park, are we? The staff?"
Chaeyeon takes and releases a deep breath. "Asking them is a waste of our time and energy. We already know they will turn us down."

"What are you saying?"

"Ms. Park has made her decision. She's willing to keep us safe but won't risk anyone's life anymore. Especially with the President's new plan for us. She believes that hiding is our safest option as of now."

*****
"Their chips are activated. They are not far from you. Go straight ahead, and you will see them. Dr. Kang wants them alive, so proceed extreme caution and just knock them out."

"Copy," Uno replied through her intercom. She motions for her team to round up and follow her. As she and her group move torwar Hyewon's location, the rest remain on the campus as they continue turning every stone to search the mutants and the Headmistress.
"Miss Jen?" a guard called her attention. "We found something," the guard informed. She nods and then follows the guard to the Headmistress's Office. The room looked like a storm passed by,  opposite to the vibe it had before. Papers were scattered, glasses were broken, and the desktop was smashed.

"They knew," Jennie whispers to herself. She turns to the guard, "Where is it?" the other guard then steps forward and hands over a pile. "What's this?"

"It seems like they were running tests on Miss Hyewon during her stay here. Here are their research records. This is all we can salvage from here. The rest are just trash."

"Thanks, though I'll be deciding the one to decide on that," Jennie says with the most horrifying smile ever seen before shooting the guard down with her laser beams, "Trash." She turns around to the other guard, the one who's standing by the door, "I want every bit of this room back in our headquarters. And I mean every bit, understand?" The guard nod diligently. "Oh! And request a clean-up. I don't want that trash staining his blood on the papers," she added.

Jennie plops herself on the bed. She's inside Eunbi and Hyewon's old room, lying on Hyewon's bed. "We are going to have so much fun, kid. We willl. I'll make sure of it!"

*****
Hyewon and Suhyun were arguing over the new plan. They can't seem to find a solution where none of them dies as they attempt to put the President down along with the organization and the two mad mutants. "I can't have you fight those two while pretending to be me. The moment you all start fighting, they will figure out you're not me, that will kill you in a blink of an eye," Hyewon reasoned.

"Yeah, but that would be your cue. Once I tired both those two out, you come in guns ablazing then, we beat them the hell out."

"Again, you'll be dead before you even land a punch. Emphasis on dead, Hyun, dead! We've seen how Uno fight, and she does not show mercy, not a sliver. And what do we know about Jennie? Nothing! Nothing except for the fact she's alive, and is now also a mutant." There was a hint of worry and stress in Hyewon's voice, and Suhyun did not miss it. "This is suicide, and if someone's gonna die, I'd rather it be me."