Chapter 26

If The World Is Ending...

 

While the three were traveling back to their headquarters. Eunbi and the others had to face a crisis of their own. They were fighting a mutant with bulletproof ability who popped out of nowhere. They already have a guess who's behind this but, the next question for them is; How did they find their exact location in the wood?

 

They try their best to fight it off without the need of killing it but, to their surprise, the mutant was also a duplicator. With a blink of an eye, it duplicated itself more than them. "Wha--How the heck did that happen?" Yena voiced her half-amused, half-irritated concern.

 

"Now's not the time to fangirl, Yena. We all need to get out of here. We need to warn Ms. Park about this and, we also definitely need to find Hyewon as soon as possible," Eunbi said. The rest nodded then proceeded to help the others as much as can. But, the longer they stay to fight and help the others, the less time they have to escape.

 

"We have to go, Eunbi. We can't do this," Sakura stated.

 

Eunbi being the eldest, took the initiative to lead them. Although there's someone else in charge, he's already dead because of the other mutant. She doesn't much have a choice. "Yujin, Chaeyeon," Eunbi called, "Take everyone you can, bring them back to the academy and inform Ms. Park about our situation. Ask for an extraction team when you guys come back for us. The rest, make sure no one else dies," she instructed.

 

Everyone continued as were they instructed. Even though it was a losing fight, the group still gave their all. They're not the kind of an individual who surrenders that easily anyway. "We're going to die here, Eunbi. We need to go," Nako said. The mutant was obviously exhausted. They all are.

 

Thankfully, Yujin and Chaeyeon arrived in time and took turns rescuing them. Where's the backup? It was too risky to send more men who only had plain bullets to fight off a mutant. It would be a suicide mission if pushed through. Instead, Ms. Park marked a rendezvous where she and some other instructors will meet Yujin and Chaeyeon to rescue them personally.

 

*****

 

When the two were finally alone, Hyewon quickly slams Suhyeon to the wall, holding the girl by her neck, close to choking the girl. "Were you aware of this? I trusted you! How could you?" She tried to remove Hyewon's hands but, she was not strong enough to do so. "I-- I didn't know-- any of this... I swear..." Suhyeon said between gasps for air. Hyewon hastily let go of her and apologized. She starts to pace back and forth to rack her brain while Suhyeon steadies her breath. The confined space they're in doesn't help her to think clearly. Her thoughts were scattered all over the place! There are only two things on her priority tho; Find a way to escape and make sure her friends are safe. And lastly, stop the nonsense her father started and everyone he's working with.

 

Their attentions were directed to the door when they heard a familiar voice behind it. If they were in an ordinary household situation, they would've thought that their so-called father had his boss come over to the house for dinner to impress for a promotion. Who gives a damn now. They weren't even a real family in the first place. The door swung open, revealing Dr. Kang and the President standing side by side with big and proud smiles plastered on their faces. "Mr. President, let me formally introduce you to my daughters," he then points at Hyewon first, then Suhyeon next. "Both made by yours truly," he proudly added. They shared a laugh. "Just as amazing as your report! I knew I did not make a mistake funding you and this project," the President complimented. "So, how do we make a super soldier? Do they intake something regularly or what?"

 

The two encaptured mutants are equally dumbfounded. Not a single word made a context. But that was until Dr. Kang explained the procedure they went through to be what they are right now. Hearing everything brought them back to the old days when they had to endure everything as if their lives weren't hanging by a thread already. It was torture. How can he easily talk about everything as if Hyewon wasn't her own?

 

"Hi! Hello! Yeah, excuse me?" Suhyun calls them out. "Do any of you mind explaining to us what's happening right now and why the hell are we locked in here?" she added. She has been locked up for most of her entire life, so she will not be having any of it anymore. The two adults ignored her. "So, they're the prototype, am I right?" Dr. Kang nods to the question. "How do we control them then?" he followed up. The mad doctor was about to answer but, their attention shifted to where the loud bang came from. Hyewon's clenched fist bent the metal. The doctor was amused instead of being scared like the President. "She could've just broken it but, she didn't... Just how does he control them?" President thought.

 

While Dr. Kang on the other hand, carefully examines Hyewon. He checks if the mutant is bleeding or any sign of damage but finds nothing. He turns to the President, "Should I explain or, would you like to do the honors, Mr. President?" 

 

"I'd love to, Dr. Kang," the other man smiled, almost sinisterly. "You see, while the rest of the country was scared, I saw it as an opportunity. Why should we be scared of something so powerful? It would make us more powerful than the West-- than any country combined. Mutants were gifted individuals; they still have their own free will. And that's the problem." The man steps closer, facing Hyewon eye to eye, "When I heard your father's research about recreating mutant's DNA, first thing came to my mind was it's impossible. A lot more brilliant scientist than your father had tried and failed, over and over again. Until you," he points at Hyewon. "I was told he was successfeul but sadly the organization were nowhere to be found so, I assembled a group of trusted soldiers to look for you and inform your organization that we're more than willing to fund the research further and make sure that every member will be protected, pardoned even. I'm sure some mutants might be willing to join me but there won't be enough of them, they can only do much. So, I asked him to find a soultion that I can control each and every single mutant. He made a breakthrough, taking away your wills, both of you. Having an army of your kind to fight and defend this country under a single person's command is the answer and anyone who tries to defy us will face their deaths. That include you two, so, are you with us or against us?"

 

Suhyun joins the conversation, she looks directly at Dr. Kang, still confused, "I thought you wanted for peace..."

 

"Oh, darling! There will never be peace in this world," the President laughs.

 

"Then you should know very well that we will never join you," Hyewon said before attacking a guard to make their escape. Suhyun follows her lead. The two made sure they only knock everyone in their way unconscious.

 

Knowing the girls won't attack her, Dr. Kang took the opportuinity to sound the alarm. Within just a second, Uno came to his rescue. "Get them back here right away no matter what but I want them alive," he told Uno.

 

"Where the hell are we even gonna go?" Suhyun asks as they still try to pass the securities. Truth be told, killing everyone is much easier than knocking them out. But then again, after their stay at the Academy, they learned that everyone can be saved despite the bad things they are doing or have done. They are the walking examples of it.

 

"We just need to go far away as much as possible right now," Hyewon answered.