Chapter 6

If The World Is Ending...

A month has passed and it's finally the MED. Eunbi, Sakura, Chaeyeon, and Minjoo are preparing themselves while the others was patiently waiting on the side to show their support. Luckily, they are scheduled at a different time from one another so they had the chance to watch and support each other as well.

 

"All of us will be cheering for you! Good luck! And including Misses too!" Hyewon cheered as she wiggle the tin foil wrap of chocolate that Eunbi made last night.

 

This action put Eunbi at ease that's why she managed to laugh. Everything suddenly fades whenever Hyewon is around, she seems to be brighter than the sun for Eunbi that brings her enough warmth to conquer the day.

 

The whole mind power department was almost done with the examination. The students were only waiting for their result so they are now finally free.

 

The group was chilling outside. Isolated from the rest of the other mutants.

 

"Wait. Kwangbae, what department are you under? We didn't see your name on the lists," Yuri asked before biting on her apple. The rest uttered their affirmation.

 

"They transferred me in the late bloomer department so until then, I won't be participating in the MED every month." Her answer made everyone sad. The peculiar mutant has been doing exceptional almost at every class except for that one.

 

Sensing the gloomy ambiance Hyewon spoke up again, "Don't worry. As soon as I discover my ability I'll train harder and make everyone proud!"

 

This put everyone at ease except Eunbi. After the incident at the garden with the two official mutants, her anxiety grew each day that passed by.

 

"Hey, no matter what your powers would be, we'll still support you just like before. You'll be a great one, I'm sure of it." Eunbi discreetly held hands with Hyewon. The latter might be the type to be the one to listen to her friends but Eunbi has spent numerous hours with her to know that Hyewon also worries and is bothered.

 

"Mutants, please go to the main hall for the result of your examination. Also, please make sure to take plenty of rest and feel free to stop by at the medical wing if you're feeling unwell. Have a nice day!"

 

The group immediately stood up from their place and went to check their results.

 

While they were busy looking, Hyewon was once again got called in the Headmaster's office. Her friend gave warm smile including Eunbi but she's worried too.

 

"She'll be fine, Eun." Chaewon patted her shoulder. She was caught staring at Hyewon walking out.

 

*****

 

Hyewon was sitting quietly. They are still waiting for Dr. Myoui.

 

"How are you feeling, Hyewon?"

 

"I feel great, Ms. Park. Thank you for asking," Hyewon politely answered.

 

"I heard you're doing tremendously with your classes. I'm happy for you." With this kind of small talk Ms. Park would always initiate, Hyewon noticed that this only happens when Ms. Park or Dr. Myoui is about to tell her something serious or very important.

 

Like when they told her the result of her ability test last time. They can't confirm her abilities yet but her result showed that she might be related to her mind power. Dr. Myoui told her that the professional mutant finds her results a little odd and that bothered Hyewon.

 

"You're doing great with our sessions. We'll get to our destination in no time," Ms. Park told her. As if on cue, Dr. Myoui finally arrived.

 

"You're looking bright today, Hyewon." Dr. Myoui compliments after their short greeting. "We have some good and not-so-good news for you."

 

"Not so good? So it's bad news?"

 

"Technically, no. It's not bad but it's not that good too. It somewhat falls in between."

 

"Right... it's definitely bad. They always try to be optimistic when it comes to me." Hyewon mentally said to herself.

 

"Okay, good news; we're now definitely sure that your powers are related to your mind. Not so good; I found out that there's something that's blocking your memories and your ability."

 

"Hold on. Ain't that both good news?" Hyewon was confused.

 

"Hyewon... We have to undergo a meticulous procedure to find and remove whatever that's blocking you. This could seriously put your life in danger," Dr. Myoui voiced with concern and worry.

 

"Let's do it. Whatever it takes!" Hyewon finally saw hope. She's now more than determined than ever to unfold her forgotten memories and she swears on her life that she will surely make it.

 

"Hyewon, listen. The reason why I called you is that I want you to think about this thoroughly. Consider everyone in your life that might get affected. You don't have to rush, there's no need. For now, I want you to focus on your physical examination."

 

Hyewon came back to her friends with mixed feelings. She's glad that their long sessions finally paid off but she also doesn't know why would the two were so hesitant with the procedure. Hyewon made it clear to them that she'll do anything to achieve their goal, that was after her memories became clear pixel by pixel.

 

She automatically sat next to Eunbi and hugged her tightly. Right now, she doesn't need anything other than the older girl's warmth.

 

"Hey, what's wrong?" Eunbi asked while she cradles her roommate.

 

"Nothing... I... I just want you to hold me." With that being said, Eunbi didn't pry more. She let Hyewon melt in her arms and caress the taller girl's hair.

 

Busy with their own bubble, their friends were just quietly watching them in awe. They are used to this scenario already but there's something that makes them look softer than they normally do.

 

"Betting all my money that one of them has fallen in love already," Chaeyeon whispered.

 

"One of them? They are practically in love with each other already! My say, only a confession has to be made, and then next thing we know, they're the Academy's royal couple," Yena confidently says.

 

"Okay, but how long do you think it will take? My guess would be a month." Yujin joined the conversation.

 

"Anyone else joining?" Sakura wrote their wagers at the back of her notebook. "No one? Okay, I guess that seals our deal."

 

*****

 

The rest of the group did great with their exam. It was now the last day of the MED and only Hyewon left.

 

The beautiful mutant woke up missing Eunbi beside her. No notes, just gone and it made her anxious. She was told that physical examination isn't a big deal for most mutants but that doesn't me she's not feeling nervous.

 

Hyewon was now inside a room with the other mutants who are yet, hopefully, to discover their abilities during the examination.

 

Her friends were shocked to see many students are watching today. For their whole stay at the Academy, they have never seen this amount of people anticipating the event.

 

"Something's not right. Just look at them," Yuri commented.

 

"I heard one of the seniors talking about something new. Maybe they're referring to this?" Nako pointed to a group of seniors who are seated in the front row.

 

"Can we focus on why we haven't seen Eunbi instead of this? I'm starting to worry and Hyewon is probably panicking because she woke up with no sign of her at all." Chaeyeon looked around the gymnasium hoping Eunbi would suddenly pop out of nowhere.

 

They've tried looking for the oldest but failed. They were also trying to hype Hyewon earlier since it's the girl's first time.

 

Just then, everyone went quiet. Standing in the middle was the Headmaster and some of the instructors who are also a member of the board.

 

"Seems like today piqued everyone's curiosity," Ms. Park chuckled after giving a good look around the place. "This year will be different. Instead of instructors, the other mutants will be facing their co-student mutants." Cue the entrance of the Academy's best mutant. "This year, students will go against one on one with each other and the goal is to save someone that's close to them."

 

"What the hell is going on?"

 

"Dude, we're all clueless here." Right before Yena and Sakura could even start bickering, their attention shifted back to the Headmaster.

 

"Under the boards' supervision and the academy's own medical team, the rules have changed. Using their powers during the test is granted. Good luck!"

 

While the group was still in confusion, the test began with the new rules. They're completely lost; one, they still haven't found Eunbi. Two, they're now extremely worried for their friend who's about to be called any moment. And lastly, Hyewon hasn't found her powers so whoever she's going up against will be useless.

 

"What the hell is going on?" Hyewon thought while she pace back and forth. It doesn't help the fact that the other students have started their tests.

 

Hyewon was hoping that either one of her friends would come barging inside to calm her down. She may not be able to tell her friends her worries and such directly but they have developed a bond where one would know with a look that the person needs support or comfort.

 

"How am I going to pass this?! I am the weakest inside the room and I don't even know if I really have any powers at all!"

 

"This is going to be more embarrassing than my middle school picture hanging by the stairs at home." Hyewon sighed her frustration. She sat at the available tool while she lets her mind go ballistic, from thinking of Eunbi to stressing over her situation.

 

Moments passed and it was finally Hyewon's turn. She was the last one called out of the waiting room and this is what everyone was anticipating since the day she came.

 

"Oh ! She's going up against Sian!" Yena's eyes were almost out of their sockets.

 

"And there's Eunbi!" Wonyoung pointed. Eunbi was tied and unconsciously standing inside a tube-looking cage.

 

"Ms. Park approved this?! Unbelievable!"

 

The group got a hint that Hyewon was looking for them when the latter looked around so they stood up and waved like they were balloons at a newly opened store. Especially the giant babies.