Chapter 10

If The World Is Ending...

The sun shone its brightest today countering the start of the winter season. The group was back to normal after Hyewon confided everything about her past and her sessions with her two superior mutants. The group of course understood her and told Hyewon she doesn't need to explain herself to anyone. This helped their bond to be stronger than before.

 

They are now inside a van with Ms. Son and Dr. Myoui. The Headmaster agreed with the group's request to have a trip to the town's marketplace to celebrate Hyewon's improvements with her ability.

 

"Okay! Let's try reading Kura's mind. Is she thinking about her and Chaen's babe time?" Yena teased.

 

"I'd bet my stock of bread that she does," Tomi joined the teasing but her face was blank.

 

"Hey! You can not think about Eunbi that way! Show some respect, she's older than you!" Hyewon screamed when she was able to hear the Japanese's thoughts.

 

"Why? Why? Why?" Yujin asked with the same excitement as Yena.

 

"She thinks Eun has a nice body! I mean, she does but Kura is taken by Chaen already. She can't think of Eunbi that way." This made the whole van crack laughing, even the two instructors can't help to laugh too. Hyewon sounded like an overprotective girlfriend.

 

Hyewon continues her sessions with Dr. Myoui to detect any more possible ability she may have while her sessions with Ms. Park was different from their usual therapy-like session. Her session now with the Headmaster is all about honing her telekinetic and telepathic ability.

 

Hyewon immediately turned red when she heard Eunbi's thoughts about her reaction being cute.

 

"Geez. You must've heard something embarrassing enough to make your face red as a tomato," Yuri noticed and Hyewon became even redder with the statement.

 

Thankfully, they arrived at their destination and it saved her from despair. "Okay, we'll be divided into a group of six. So, are you girls will divide by age or however as you please?"

 

The group then discussed their grouping since they're given a curfew by the Headmaster, they want to make the most of it. Eunbi took the lead in the discussion and weighed out which options would be better for all. Once they're done, they all stepped out of the van and went on their separate ways. "Don't go too far from anyone," Dr. Myoui reminded the other group because it seemed chaotic compared to her who has few responsible ones.

 

They busy themselves looking at antiques or whatever item piqued their interest. Yujin and Hyewon were looking at a stall that sells vintage cameras and old film cameras.

 

"Yujin, do you have any ideas what girls like?"

 

Yujin giggled, "Why are you asking like you're not one?"

 

"You know what I meant," Hyewon groaned.

 

"I actually don't know... If it's any help, Eunbi likes things that are made with effort. Maybe a DIY bracelet or something similar to that, or you could write her a letter. That's more romantic than a bracelet," Yujin answered while she tests out a camera.

 

"Or... you could make her a bracelet and write her at the same time. Now that's the most romantic thing you could do," Wonyoung peeked between the two, startling them.

 

"Geez! Please don't creep like that ever again," Hyewon said clenching her chest out of surprise. "And it's not for Eunbi. It's for Ms. Park and Dr. Myoui, I wanna give them something to express my gratitude for being patient with me."

 

"You sure? Because of the way that you asked, it surely feels like for Eun. I mean, you could just pick whatever gift for Ms. Park and Dr. Myoui since they can almost buy everything they want. They're loaded!" Yujin commented while she pays for the camera and a film.

 

The three moved to the other stall after a while, they still continued talking about the same topic. "Yujin's right. You will never find a gift for them. Give Eunbi instead," Wonyoung supported her best friend's statement. The two were just actually pushing their KangBi agenda since Kura has mentioned that their bet is still on.

 

As they continued to wander the market, Hyewon noticed a familiar face among the crowd. At first, she shrugged it off, thinking that it was just pure coincidence that the person was just going the same way as them but the person hides whenever she takes a look in his direction. That's when also Hyewon realized that her intuition was right.

 

"Hey, I'm just gonna check something there. I'll be back soon." Hyewon left without waiting for her two friends' reply. She walked a little further where she pointed. She wanted to see if she's the only one being followed or her friends were as well. So, she hid in the corner and waited for the person to pass before Hyewon pulls him into the alley.

 

"About time you finally approach me. I've been watching you for hours and it was absolutely boring!" Hyewon was shocked to see how cool and collected the person was despite being cornered. Hyewon saw a man earlier but turns out he was a she.

 

"What? You still don't remember me? I'm deeply offended, Hyewon. How could you not remember your sister? Your sister who went through hell and back with you by the way." The person removed her hoodie, showing Hyewon her clear face to help the latter remember her. "This little reunion was really fun but I gotta go, Dad needs me. We're close to the goal so he's busy but I'll tell him you said hi, don't worry. I'll see you around," she smiled sweetly and left Hyewon flabbergasted. Although she smiled Hyewon can't seem to shake off the eerie feeling that lies behind the smile. It was sweet, yes but it also seemed cynical and Hyewon wouldn't take the risk.

 

*****

 

As soon as they got back, Hyewon went straight to the Headmaster's office. Even though she was with Dr. Myoui earlier, Hyewon knew that this is too important to risk saying it openly in a public place.

 

"How was the market? Did you and your friends enjoy it?"

 

"I met her and we talked... My father is still alive." Ms. Park was confused for a moment but when she realized what Hyewon was talking about, her mood changed instantly.

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"She said they're close to reaching their goal. We have to stop them!" Hyewon paced back and forth, racking her brain to think of something.

 

"Hyewon, we cannot risk anything. We have everything to lose but they don't. We still even don't know where to find them and to top that off, we still have a long way to go with you and we don't have enough manpower yet. Not to mention the government had my hands tied since the last attack of that mutant."

 

"Then I'll help! Let me come with Ms. Chou to help her. I don't care if I haven't harnessed my powers fully yet but I am already more than capable to fight them. We need to stop them as soon as possible!"

 

The Headmaster stood up and faced Hyewon, "And we will. Let me handle this, I'll update you as soon as we find anything but for now, I want you to focus on your own powers. Understood?"

 

As much as she wants to disagree and keep insisting they need to do something now, Hyewon could only nod and leave the office with her shoulders down. Ms. Park made a lot of points and this made her more dedicated to honing her full potential.

 

She quickly changed her clothes as soon as she entered the room. She was lucky that Eunbi wasn't there so she doesn't have to worry about the latter's questioning.

 

*****

 

"Did you get your job done?" A man immediately asked after he enters the room.

 

The girl scoffed, "Duh! Of course. I can't believe you really sent me to do that easy job. How can your men fail to put a tracker on them? It was like a walk in the park."

 

"I wasn't referring to that, Suhyun. I'm talking about Hyewon," the man said.

 

"They managed to unlock her memories but they haven't removed her chip nor know where it is," Suhyun answered almost boredly. "Why can't we just take her away from there?"

 

"I don't know if I locked Hyewon's memories or yours. How can you forget that horrible thing she did? She betrayed her family, us. She chose to let these puny humans control her."

 

"As if you're any different from them," Suhyun scoffed in her mind.

 

"Alright, I think that's enough for a father and daughter bonding. I need to rest, I've got loads of work tomorrow." Suhyun shooed away the man from her room. She locked the door and went to her bed, stared at nothingness, and let her mind wander in thoughts.

 

"It's was nice to see you're doing well after these years, Hyewon."