Chapter 16

If The World Is Ending...

Hyewon was talking to Ms. Park and Dr. Myoui about what happened four days ago. She told the two everything they found out during their mini-quest and apologized for endangering her own friends’ lives and for creating a mess on the two older mutants' end.

Hyewon and her friends recovered quickly, except for Minjoo and Chaewon who are still under observation due to the sudden loss of their abilities. They’re now talking about how did the two lost it and if they’ll be able to get it back. Minjoo didn’t hate her powers nor love it but because of some advantages of controlling time as she pleased, she grew fond of it later on after practicing hard. As for Chaewon, she loves having powers and Hyewon knew it, everyone did. After seeing her two friends getting depressed from having their powers stripped out of them, Hyewon was determined to help them out.

Amidst their discussion, a nurse entered after knocking, “She’s awake.” Knowing whom the nurse was referring to, the three immediately run to the medical wing.

“Hyun?” Hyewon calmly called when they entered. The girl came running and hugged her. It was obvious that Suhyun was scared. Hyewon carefully helps her to get back on her bed. Suhyun never let go of Hyewon’s hand while Dr. Myoui checks her.

“Do you know where you are?” Suhyun answered the doctor by shaking her head. “Do you know who you are? Who she is?” the doctor pointed Hyewon.

“I am Suhyun Shin and she’s Hyewon Kang,” Suhyun replied softly. “Do you know why you are here?” Dr. Myoui followed up. “I… I don’t remember everything… It was all a blur. The last thing I remember was fighting with tons of people with Hyewon and one unfamiliar face…”

The two older mutants are going to have a long discussion about her situation with her answer so they decided to let Suhyun rest first before doing anything.

Hyewon stayed and took care of her until Suhyun fell asleep. “I’m sorry for doing this to you,” Hyewon whispered before taking her to leave.

*****

Ever since they found out they lost their ability, Minjoo stayed in her room that she shares with Yujin. Since she never leaves the room, Yujin took the initiative to bring her meals to her instead. Their friends would stop by from time to time to check on her. Three days had passed doing different examinations yet they still don’t have anything as to why they lost their powers. She was starting to lose hope. She was blaming herself for not being quick enough to turn back in time as soon as they were attacked.

“I got your lunch,” Yujin announced her arrival with a tray full of food on hand. Minjoo was surprised with the amount of food, she was sure that it can feed three mouths. “I’m joining you today,” Yujin explained with a smile when she saw Minjoo’s reaction.

Ever since she and Chaewon came back, she noticed how Yujin changed drastically. She was no longer the kid who always had her energy to the max; the kid who would tease or annoy her friends just because. Yujin became serious and too mature, her aura was different from before and Minjoo doesn’t know what would she feel. She never wanted Yujin to change like this.

“Hey. Why are you crying?” Yujin immediately went to Minjoo’s side. “Hush now. Everything will be all right; you and Chaewon are safe now. I’ll be here to protect you and the others as well, I promise. I’ll do everything in my best to keep that promise,” Yujin wipes Minjoo’s tears away.

Minjoo was feeling a lot of emotions; everything was overwhelming for her. She couldn’t utter a word even she wants to so she conveyed her emotions by hugging the younger mutant. “I’m sorry, Daeng… I’m sorry…” Minjoo continued to sob in Yujin’s embrace. “You have nothing to apologize for, Min. None of it was your fault, okay?” Yujin hugged her tighter.

Their moment was cut short when their friends barged inside the room. “Daeng! She’s awake!” Yena spoke. Yujin’s jaw clenched. She knew who was Yena referring to and she’ll not let that girl walk around the place without having a taste of Yujin’s rage. Even if that girl was her owner’s first ever love. “Please keep an eye on Minjoo,” Yujin coldly said. Chaeyeon was the first one to stop her, “You are not going anywhere. You haven’t even heard half of our news.”

“What’s left to hear? I can’t believe you brought them here,” Yujiin told Yena. She used her speed to step out of the room but Sakura beat her to it. The Japanese mutant teleported right in front of her way and teleport backs inside their room. “You need to calm down,” Sakura spoke. Realizing she’s outnumbered, Yujin did what she was told.

“Suhyun’s awake and she doesn’t remember a thing. Not a single thing, Yujin. Ms. Park told us that Hyewon blocked all of her memories and left only fragments of it, like what happened to her. Ms. Park would like to observe how she’ll react in our environment, if will it trigger anything or something so all of us were advised to act normal around her as if she’s a student here like us,” Hitomi explained the rest when no one spoke when Yujin finally calmed down.

“And you are fine with that? You know there’s a possibility that she’s the reason how they lost their powers, right? And here you all are, explaining it so nonchalantly as if she did nothing wrong… You guys are unbelievable!”

“Yujin, we’re not saying that you have to talk to her or what. You can simply avoid her. Plus, Hyewon probably has a reason why she told Yena to bring them here and why she did that to Suhyun,” Eunbi just entered the room with a blank face.

“Do you all trust her? Does everyone in this room do? Because if I remember it correctly, as soon as she recovered from her injuries she did not even once check on you, you, and most especially you,” Yujin pointed Chaeyeon first then Yena, and lastly, Eunbi. “Now, tell me, how do I trust her now?”

The question had made everyone speechless, even Eunbi. None of them had the guts to address this issue and if they would stumble on it, everyone tries to change it quickly.

*****

The next day, Hyewon was walking with Suhyun. She’s giving Suhyun a tour around the place so the latter would not get lost when she’s not with her. They were walking hand in hand and approaching the end of the hall, they ran into Hyewon’s friends, specifically Yena, Yujin, and Eunbi. The tallest of the three just plainly walked ahead, did not bother to look at her way nor greet her while Yena gave them a small smile. Eunbi’s action confused her the most, the older looked away when Hyewon tried to look at her in the eyes.

“I’m liking this place. It’s nice, don’t you think?” Suhyun obliviously commented. Hyewon replied with a small hum.

The tour continued until lunch. Hyewon showed Suhyun her spot where she used to eat before she got close to her friends and eventually joined in their table. Now that she’s here, she suddenly can’t remember the last time she ate with her friends and she misses it; how Yena and Kura fight over petty teasing, Minjoo and Yuri bickering about nonsense things, she just misses how chaotic and eventful her day with them.

“I could get used to living here,” Suhyun happily said and Hyewon only returned a smile.

Not very far from the two manmade mutants, some eyes were watching their every move. Like a pack of wolves watching their prey to make a mistake before they pounce on it.

“You guys are literally watching them with hawk eyes. Sooner or later, either one of them will catch you looking at them,” Wonyoung scold her older friends.

“Wonnie, look at her! She had never smiled nor laughed like that to us before! Just what Suhyun has that we don’t?” Yuri sulked. Most of the group understood Hyewon but of course, that doesn’t mean they trust Suhyun as well. They have doubts but trusting Hyewon is the best option they have for now.

“I mean, that’s her first love she’s talking to so it’s probably bringing her back a lot of memories so—oh ,” Yena realized what she just said. Chaeyeon was glaring at her while Yujin was smirking teasingly because she just told a huge secret between the four.

The mood in their table shifted into something darker. Eunbi stopped fiddling with her food and left the table. “Argh! Hyewon is going to kill me first if not Eunbi,” Yena scolded herself.

“I suggest you go follow Eunbi before she starts plotting your death,” Chaewon teased. Yena doesn’t need to be told twice, with Eunbi’s feelings and what’s going on, Yena was sure that Eunbi was only masking her struggles in front of them. She knew that out of everyone in her group, Eunbi was having it the hardest than anyone else.

Back to the two isolated mutants, Suhyun was asking about a particular group’s deal with her. She may be oblivious to other things but she can sense that those eleven girls weren’t really fond of her.

“They’re all nice actually. I shared some classes with the other girls,” Hyewon didn’t lie but she only replied with a vague answer.

“I hope I can get close with them.”

“I’m sure you will. Maybe just give them time to adjust? They were kind of like that too when I arrived here,” Hyewon replied with a soft smile.

Suhyun continued asking things about them; who’s the oldest, their abilities, and whatnot. Hyewon started to doubt but the thought immediately flew out the window when Suhyun suggested something great when they were talking about Minjoo and Chaewon’s lost ability, “Since Hitomi has the hydrokinetic ability, maybe she’ll be able to control what was found in Minjoo and Chaewon’s bloodstreams? If it’s in their blood, the chemical has to be in liquid form, right?”

Hyewon was speechless. Even though Suhyun doesn’t remember anything related to the lab and her two friends’ abduction, she was still able to think of a solution. “You’re a genius! Thank you! I’ll see you back in our room,” Hyewon kissed Suhyun’s cheeks. Oblivious to their surroundings, 2 pairs of eyes saw everything.

“I told you! You should’ve let me get your book, Eun.”

“It’s fine, Sian. I shouldn’t be feeling this way the moment I heard her call out Suhyun’s name,” Eunbi wiped her tears discreetly but Sian saw it. She hugged Eunbi instead to comfort her.