Chapter 2

If The World Is Ending...

It has been three days since the incident and the students are still talking about it. Hyewon has become timider because of it and Eunbi was genuinely worried since the younger would sometimes skip meals to avoid some situations.

 

For example, receiving tons of letters. Love letters to be exact. Students confess to her which she finds ridiculous and uncomfortable since none of them haven't really met her, yet they are already saying they're in love with the beautiful mutant.

 

Today, Hyewon hoped for a better. She was slowly getting accustomed to her new life after all.

 

"All set for the day?" Eunbi asked when she stepped out of the bathroom fully dressed. Hyewon only replied to the older with a nod.

 

Eunbi noticed that Hyewon is a quiet girl. Very different from the majority of her friends who are always loud with each other.

 

"I still have a few minutes to spare. Do you need help finding your class?" Eunbi offered. If she's not mistaken, Hyewon is scheduled early for a combat class which is the same schedule as her three friends, Yena, Chaeyeon, and Yujin.

 

"Thank you but I think I'll be able to help myself." Hyewon wore her bag and walked to the door, "I'll get going."

 

Eunbi shouldn't be worrying too much about her but she can't help it. She doesn't know how much can her roommate tolerate. Sure the place was meant for their kind but it doesn't change the fact that there are still some uncultured mutants who would pick a fight just for the kicks of it.

 

"I should just get ready for my classes." Eunbi thought to herself and prepares for her day.

 

*****

 

Hyewon was successful to find her class just outside the manor. It wasn't that hard since Ms. Park wrote her schedule in a very specific manner. Put the instructor's name and the location of the class.

 

She was shocked to see two familiar faces in her class. She remembered the duck-looking mutant's name was Yena but not the other taller mutant she's with. Nor the other one who was laughing insanely.

 

"All right, gather around with your assigned partners." Everyone did what they were told. Hyewon was just standing a little back since it seemed everyone has their pair already. "Today, we're going to practice what I taught last week. Remember: you can only use your body and never your powers. Let's go!" The instructor clapped to signal to start their activity while Hyewon was left alone standing.

 

". I totally forgot about you transferring to my class..." Hyewon heard the instructor say. "I'm Yoo Jeongyeon. I'll be your new hand-to-hand combat instructor/teacher/mentor or whatever you wanna call it." Hyewon carefully shook hands with the experienced mutant.

 

"Since you're just new, I'll let you choose; either you can sit and watch them beat each other off with me or spar with me to show how much you know already."

 

"What is with everyone and their obsession with sparring?!" Hyewon thought.

 

"Kid, I don't have the whole day. If you're worried I'd end up like Jackson, don't be. I can say that I'm a little more experienced and probably more responsible than him. If it helps, my power is healing myself and others as well." Ms. Yoo then removed her whistle and clipboard, "You know what, just show me. You did well on Jackson anyway."

 

"Are you sure? Because I'll be more than happy to just sit and watch, Ms. Yoo." Hyewon said with much anxiety and hesitation.

 

"Too late. You should've spoken sooner. You ready?"

 

The two mutant started their sparring. True to her words, Ms. Yoo was indeed experienced. Hyewon did not receive a single attack that wasn't seemed calculated. It was somewhat challenging for her so she decides to counter her instructor's attack.

 

Immersed with their own movements, the whole class then started watching them. Completely ditching the said activity.

 

Yena was watching in awe. She didn't believe Sakura when she was told what happened to Mr. Wang, he was one of the finest combat instructors in the Academy along with Ms. Yoo. She shouldn't have doubted the newcomer, she was pinned to the ground within seconds by the same person. Kang managed to take Mr. Wang down, so it wasn't impossible if she did the same with Yena.

 

Attack after attack, block after block but there was no sign in both mutants that they are tired. Instead, both of them looked fiercer, eager to win.

 

Ms. Yoo's straight jab was a fail, Hyewon easily caught her wrist but with more experience, Ms. Yoo managed to turn it around. The experienced mutant successfully has Hyewon in lock between her legs on the ground. It looks like Ms. Yoo already won but Hyewon thinks otherwise.

 

Hyewon successfully slipped her arm between her instructor's legs with great force that helped her getaway. She stayed on the ground tho, she twisted Ms. Yoo to lay in her stomach and kneed the area between head and nape while twisting the latter's arm.

 

Shocking everyone again, Ms. Yoo was the one who tapped out. Hyewon mumbles her apology while she helps her stand up.

 

"I'm impressed, no wonder Jackson had his whole body aching even though you only kicked him once. I'm not gonna lie, I really thought that I had you surrendering earlier. Congratulations, Kang. I'm looking forward to your MED performance."

 

"Med? What the hell is that?"

 

"Okay! People, listen up. The next meeting will be your actual activity and we're doing it round-robin. Please prepare yourselves as this might help you on your MED. Now, hit the showers. You all stink! Dismissed."

 

"Yes, Ms. Yoo!" The whole class answered and Ms. Yoo left and let her students prepare themselves for lunch in an hour.

 

"Dude, she's awesome! She could literally take their place instead!" Yujin amusingly whispered to Yena.

 

"Man. I swear on my grave that I would never do anything that could make me put on her bad side. Ever!" Chaeyeon joined their whispering circle while they pack their stuff.

 

"I know! And this is scaring me. It feels to me like she's following me. I regret approaching her that way but I think I'll myself first before I could speak!" The trio silently watches Hyewon go back inside the manor.

 

Hyewon was like a deer caught in a headlight when she entered her room. Eunbi was in the middle of changing her clothes into a more sporty one.

 

"!" Eunbi cursed under her breath as she hurries to wear her clothes. "Sorry about that. I should've locked the door."

 

"No, I should've knocked first before barging in. I'm sorry." Hyewon went to her side to pick a new set of clothes.

 

It was very awkward for them. Both are in debate with their own if they should explain further or what. Hyewon can't take the worsening awkwardness any longer, "I'll hit the shower now. Excuse me."

 

Eunbi didn't realize she was holding her breath until the younger mutant disappeared to the bathroom. She's somewhat glad that Hyewon showed an emotion. It wasn't very ideal but at least she knew that the latter can still be able to feel things. She won't say it out loud but she finds the red face filled with embarrassment Hyewon is actually cute.

 

Eunbi's friends were all present during lunch and as she expected from them, they were all noisy like always.

 

"You guys should have seen it! It was intense but very very amusing!" Yujin shared what happened during their class. The young mutant even mimicked some moves that Ms. Yoo and Hyewon made.

 

"It's like she's been training longer than any of us! Her moves were smooth and effortless! Ms. Yoo accepted defeat! She's competitive as hell but she cooly accepted it. Like, Hyewon earned her respect or something!" Chaeyeon shared her piece.

 

"If she's that great then Yena should ask for her help. Eunbi can help you with that, right?" Chaewon asked while she's clinging to her pyrotechnic girlfriend.

 

"Oh god. Eunbi's girlfriend is at again. I wonder who's their victim this time." Sakura pointed to a group, encircling someone.

 

"That's Hyewon's usual lunch spot..." Eunbi said to herself.

 

"She's not my girlfriend! And we should interfere whoever they are bothering." Eunbi stood up and went to them. "What are you doing?" Eunbi asked when she finally reached their spot.

 

"You got no business here, babe."

 

"Don't call me that. We were never a thing, Sian."

 

Sensing the thickening atmosphere, Eunbi's friend also came over as backup just in case something ensued.

 

"Eun, I suggest you and your friends just mind your own businesses. This doesn't concern any of you," Sian retorts. "I mean, what are you even going to do? None of you can beat us mano a mano and only a few of you can control your powers!"

 

They outnumbered Sian's group but that doesn't mean they are sure they'll win against. Sian's group consists of-- if not the best mutant, either one of the best or one of the strongest mutants in training.

 

"Sure, but can all of you handle 20 more of mes?" Yena wasn't sure if the others found her statement but she started to duplicate five more of herself just to be extra.

 

"And it's Eunbi's business. That's her roommate you're bothering," Sakura said boredly.

 

Sian came close to Hyewon and whispered, "Consider yourself today lucky, Newbie. But keep this in mind, I'll definitely crush you when MED comes."

 

They dispersed immediately, leaving the other eleven mutants checking on Hyewon.

 

"Thank you but you didn't have to," Hyewon said in a small voice. Very different from their first encounter when everyone almost thought she's threatening them.

 

"Nonsense! We're your classmate and she's your roomie so it's only right that we helped you. I'm Chaeyeon by the way."

 

Everyone then started introducing themselves including what power they possessed. Eunbi felt something was lifted from her shoulders as she watch Hyewon mingling with her friends.

 

"Their group is so diverse. Everyone has completely different powers from each other yet they all seemed to get along very well."  Hyewon thought in surprise.

 

On cue, they heard the bell rang. Indicating that lunch is over and it's time for everyone to proceed in their next class.

 

"What do you got next?" Yena guessed that Hyewon was holding her schedule so she carefully peeks as she doesn't want to be pinned on the ground again.

 

Being tall, Yujin had the advantage. "Hey! You're in the same class us again." The tall girl clapped in glee.

 

"Well, we're heading off. Ms. Kim doesn't like her tardy students. Bye, babe." Chaeyeon kissed her girlfriend goodbye then the four of them started walking.

 

"Uhm... How do I repay your kindness earlier?" Hyewon asked. Yujin was walking beside her and Yena on the other side next to Chaeyeon.

 

"No nee--"

 

Yena jumped in front of her. Making her stop from walking, "Can you help me to get better? You see, I kinda at hand-to-hand combat so..."

 

"Yeah, you are. You were pretty much all over the place earlier." Hyewon bluntly agrees that made the two other mutants laugh while Yena was surprised with her boldness.

 

"How did she even manage to notice? She was busy sparring with Ms. Yoo the whole time." Yena confusedly thought to herself.

 

"I'll help you. I'll help everyone in your group."

 

"Nah! You're now part of our group too so, we'll help each other out. Give and take." Chaeyeon smiled at Hyewon.

 

Hyewon never felt this feeling for a long time. The last time she felt this, everything went disastrous. She's happy to be able to feel it again but she's also can't deny that this scares the life out of her since many people would be involved compared to before.