Chapter 8

If The World Is Ending...

As promised, Hyewon came with her Dad to work. She politely greets the employees but it irks her that only a few people bothered to greet her back no matter how nice or polite she greets them.

 

"Alright, Hyewon. Dad will just go to his meeting for a few minutes. Don't go wandering around, understood?"

 

"Yes, dad!" Hyewon obediently replied and sat at her dad's chair.

 

"Maybe I can draw to pass time..." Hyewon thought and proceeds to busy herself with drawing cute colorful little animals and flowers.

 

When she ran out of paper, Hyewon rummaged through her father's table to look for a new one. While she's looking, she discovered a folder with the word confidential written on its cover.

 

*****

 

It has been a week since the incident happened. The group was bewildered when the Headmaster kept rejecting their request to see Hyewon. They tried asking many times in many different polite possible ways they could.

 

"This literally ! Why won't they let us see her?! Don't they know that we're worried for her too?! Argh!" Yena was throwing a tantrum. Everyone is upset but they understand that some of them have it harder since they're closer to the mutant. For instance, Yujin has been draining herself out of stress by running around the whole area, Wonyoung cried to sleep almost every night.

 

"We can ask Sian about what happened tho. She's allowed to have visitors, I think." Yuri suggested while she's trying to calm her fuming girlfriend.

 

"And you know that because?" Sakura squinted her eyes.

 

"Babe, her suggestion could work, and have you forgotten that she used to share a room with Sian?" Chaeyeon looked at the eldest, "What do you think, Eunbi?"

 

Eunbi was busy thinking about Hyewon. She felt tremendous pain when she was stopping the latter that day. Even for her, it was too much to handle so she's very worried for her roommate because she can't imagine how Hyewon could even bear it all to herself.

 

"Earth to Eunbi," Chaewon waved her hands in front of Eunbi's face.

 

"Huh?"

 

"We said, would you like to visit Sian with us? Ask her directly if Ms. Park can't tell us anything," Nako answered.

 

"Sian seemed to know something about what's going on," Tomi added.

 

Eunbi thought it was better than not getting anything at all so they all went to the Medical Wing. All except for Yena, Yujin, Yuri, Chaewon, Nako, and Wonyoung since these six hates Sian with passion.

 

"You really think this is a good idea? Yuri isn't not even with us," Tomi voiced her anxiety.

 

"Well, at least we can get something out of her. And she'll be honest with Eunbi at least if not with us," Minjoo reasoned.

 

"True. I think Sian is the head over heels type of partner. I mean, she's been crushing Eunbi for so long and no matter what our friend says, Sian always tries to persuade her." Sakura joined their conversation.

 

"Gotta give her that but she needs to stop it already. Eun doesn't want her and we don't want her for Eunbi." It was a joke that everyone knows that it wasn't really one especially if it came from Chaeyeon and Kura. "Now, get your act together. We're here," Chaeyeon added as she lets Eunbi do the talking with the nurse on duty.

 

The nurse let them in but gave them only a few moments to avoid causing stress to her patient just in case. The group thanked the nurse as he leaves them for privacy.

 

"I'm not sure if I can say this is a pleasant surprise but I'm indeed surprised to see you. Where's the rest of your gang?" Sian welcomed her visitors.

 

"We would've made you an ice sculpture but Tomi wasn't really feeling it so..." Eunbi started.

 

"Why don't you guys tell me your reason for visiting? Spare everyone from the awkward small talks," Sian bluntly said.

 

"Okay. What happened during the exams? What did you do with Hyewon?"

 

"Tomi!" Minjoo scolded.

 

"What?! She's asking for us to be honest!"

 

"She's right tho," Sian agreed to Hitomi. "Anyway, it was Ms. Park who came to me. She said she wants me to use my powers fully and although I was in doubt, I agreed. I also want Hyewon to discover her powers because I think she'll be amazing at it."

 

"Hyewon really did a number on your head, didn't she? Are you sure they're treating you right?" Sakura playfully looked over Sian's chart from the clipboard that was resting on the side table.

 

Sian rolled her eyes and continued talking, "As I was saying, Ms. Park told me to do that. And I mean everything."

 

"Hold on a second. So you're saying she deliberately told you that beat Hyewon as much as possible? Without even knowing if she'll be able to unlock her powers? Is that what you're saying?"

 

"Why are you even asking me? Shouldn't you ask Ms. Park directly instead? I just did what I was told."

 

"Well, you see... that's the case. She's been avoiding us and she won't let us see Hyewon, she only told us that our friend is still under observation," Eunbi replied with a lace of desperation in her voice.

 

Sian sighed and finally gave in. She's not supposed to tell anything to anyone but she can't imagine how hard it must've been for them already. "Hyewon is much stronger than everyone thinks and I'm sure everybody felt how tense the atmosphere was when she lost it. Her eyes also changed completely and she was even inside my head while she was talking to Ms. Park while she was punching me. She's insanely strong and it scared the living out of me and to be honest, I'm thankful that Eunbi managed to calm her down."

 

Before they could even say their farewells, the nurse came running and was told that the group needs to leave. Chaeyeon bravely asked for an explanation and the nurse gave her a vague answer, "There's an emergency and all the medical staff are needed so the Medical Wing should be cleared other than its patients."

 

Not a minute passed and there was an announcement made through the speaker, "All students must go back to their rooms immediately. An instructor will come over to check each and every one of you. Please follow the announcement for your own safety."

 

"What the hell is going on?! Why are the staff look so panicked?" Chaeyeon watched the staff running past them.

 

"Kwon, Miyawaki, Lee, Kim, Honda. Why are you all still standing there? Rooms, now!" Ms. Son from the Pyrokinetic department escorted them back to their rooms.

 

*****

 

Dr. Myoui was calmly instructing everyone in her team. Hyewon woke up in a rage, she was smashing everything inside her room. The same place where their sessions are held. "Someone call an expert in teleportation and bring me Jihyo in. She is extremely needed here!" Dr. Myoui says in a calm but there's urgency hinted in her voice.

 

"Hyewon, listen to me. Listen to my voice, this is Mina. Hyewon? Hyewon!" The doctor spoke to Hyewon through the mic. Hyewon was bleeding from pulling the wires out from her.

 

"Let me out! Let me out!" Hyewon screamed. She through a machine directly to the two-way mirror and luckily for the staff, she was not able to break the glass.

 

"What's happening?" Jihyo asked as soon as she arrived.

 

"She finally woke up from her sleep but it seems like she's not the Hyewon we knew."

 

"Was it because of her memory?"

 

"I think so. Her vitals suddenly rose out of nowhere. I think she finally remembers everything in her memory." Dr. Myoui gave her notes to let the Headmaster see it herself.

 

"I'm going in. Hand me two shots of sedatives."

 

"You can't go in there alone. She's not stable, she might kill you and I can't let that happen." Dr. Myoui firmly disagreed.

 

"Trust me on this, Mina. Call Nayeon to turn back time just in case." The Headmaster instructed as she prepares herself to enter the room.

 

With the help of the mutant with teleportation ability, Jihyo successfully entered the room without Hyewon noticing and endangering anyone by opening the door. And as instructed, Nayeon was beside Mina ready to use her time travel ability at any moment.

 

Honestly, Hyewon was trapped in her own mind. She doesn't know why she's in destroying things but she sure feels angry right now.

 

"Hyewon?"

 

She heard someone call for her. She recognized the voice, "Ms. Park?" Hyewon asked.

 

"Yes. I'm here to help you. Can you stop ravaging our equipment? It's pretty expensive, you know," Ms. Park joked. Trying to ease Hyewon's mind.

 

"I can't... I-I- I can't control myself and everything hurts too..."

 

"Listen to me, okay? Tell me, where does it hurt? I'll help you only if you let me," Ms. Park calmly said.

 

"Everywhere! Every inch of me hurts! From my fingertips to my brain, it hurts... It hurts so bad, Ms. Park," Hyewon cried. She really wanted to stop herself but she can't. The mutant looks so fragile right now compare to her stoic face before.

 

"Remember our breathing exercise every session? We always do it, right? From start to in-betweens and even when we're finished, remember? I want you to do that now. Doesn't matter how many, I just want you to do it. Okay?"

 

Hyewon did what she was told. While her mind was busy inhaling and exhaling, her physical body collapsed. Ms. Park successfully injected her with sedatives. "Please, Ms. Park. End these pains... I don't wanna live anymore... I don't wanna hurt more people... Please... I'm begging you," Hyewon cried once again but this time she's one with her body.

 

"Shhhh. You'll get through this, Hyewon. We're all here to help. You can end this!" It was the last thing Hyewon heard before she passed out.

 

*****

 

The Headmaster called the group inside her office. It's been 2 days after Hyewon broke and she finally decided to tell the latter's friends about her situation. After all, this is the only thing that Hyewon got.

 

"Please, take a seat. This is going to be a long one," Ms. Park welcomed their group.

 

"Oh . She found out that we cornered Sian the other day," Yena whispered.

 

"Shut it. We didn't do anything, we asked her nicely. Okay?" Chaeyeon replied.

 

"Hyewon finally woke up the other day--"

 

"How is she? Is she hurt badly? What do you need? We'll cooperate with you this time, Ms. Park. Just please, please tell me she's alright." Eunbi plead.

 

"She's not hurt, Eunbi. Hyewon is doing fine, everyone but I need you to watch over her. She's currently unstable when it comes to her mentality. It seemed like she's having a hard time identifying her past from the present, there would be times when she'll either break or lose control." Ms. Park shared Dr. Myoui's updated notes with the group.

 

"We don't understand any of this . Why did she give it to us?" Yena whispered to Yujin while they're looking at the notes trying to understand what Ms. Park is saying.

 

"Agreed. This is just some piece of paper with scribbles on it for us," Yujin whispered back and gave the paper to the others. "Let's just have Chaeyeon explain the dumber version to us," Yena agreed with Yujin's suggestion.

 

"Dr. Myoui suggested that Hyewon should get back to her normal routine which means going to classes, training, and socializing. I want everyone to guide her and help her identify that the past is already done and make her remember that this is her new life. Can you girls do it?" Without thinking twice, they affirmingly replied with their cooperation.

 

"Ms. Park, quick question; what's Hyewon's ability?" Nako asked.

 

"We're sure she's telepathic but we're sensing more based on the observations so she'll now have sessions with us often," Ms. Park replied honestly.

 

"Does that mean she possibly has more than two?" Wonyoung asked this time.

 

"Possible but as I said, we still can't confirm anything other than the results we have. If you don't have any more questions, you girls can leave now. Thank you for cooperating with us."

 

She was escorting them to the exit but when it was Eunbi she stop the young mutant and said a few words, "This will be harder for you since you two are together most of the time and you're roommates. Watch her closely, if you noticed anything out of ordinary, even when she's asleep, I want you to come to me or to Dr. Myoui. Only the two of us, understand?"

 

Eunbi only replied with a nod. She's confused why would the experienced mutant said those words as if she's warning her about Hyewon. "Just what the hell happened to Hyewon?" Eunbi thought to herself.

 

 

 

*****

A/N

Hi! How's the story going for you? I hope you are enjoying it as much as I do :)) I'm sorry about the typos and the grammatical errors. I'll try to edit them soon. Keep yourself hydrated! Peace! ;)