Chapter 4

If The World Is Ending...

It was like Déjà vu for Hyewon. Sitting in a cold metal chair in a room with nothing at all except white walls, tons of clear tubes and wires connected almost to every part of her body. It was scaring the out of her living life but she's also determined to find out what happened to her lost memory. She's eager to know.

 

"Hyewon? Can you hear me?"

 

Hyewon look over the window where she saw Dr. Myoui behind. Hyewon gave a thumbs up due to the reason she felt run dry the moment she sat on the chair.

 

"Good. Hyewon, I want you to be relaxed as possible you can be. I want you to remain calm even if everything will seem too much. You must keep that in mind, okay? I'll be with you throughout and pull you back here."

 

Hyewon sighed and gave the doctor an affirming nod. She took a few deep breathes before she close her eyes. "We'll start now, Hyewon," Dr. Myoui informed.

 

******

 

Eunbi started her day with a so-so mood. She was beyond happy when she saw the note that Hyewon left for her but the scene of Hyewon struggling while asleep last night haunts her.

 

Hyewon kept mumbling a name in her sleep. Eunbi wasn't sure who her roommate was calling so she wrote it on a piece of paper. After that she once again saw Hyewon's note;

 

Eun,

 

Good morning! Thank you for last night. Really. I feel great today and I think I'll manage to be fine in my session with Dr. Myoui. Enjoy your day! I'll see you later! :)

 

 

-Hye

 

 

Eunbi kept reading Hyewon's note and it immediately made her smile. She heard a knock from her door so she instantly hides it somewhere safe.

 

"Wonyoung, hi!"

 

"Hi... Would you like to hang out with me? I'm kinda bored." Despite being the tallest of the group, Wonyoung is in fact their baby no matter if there's someone younger than her in the Academy. She'll always be the baby for them.

 

"Sure. Let's go."

 

The two bunny-looking girls walked around. They're not allowed to leave the place without the supervision of any higher-ups or their families to watch over them. They are the only protection outside after all.

 

"Eunbi, you're close to Kwangbae, right?"

 

"I'm not sure about that. She's pretty close with Yena and Yujin too. Even to you actually. Why?"

 

"Well, the other day when she was hanging out with Daeng. She was asked if she's the type of person who wants to protect or to be protected and her answer got me curious."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

The two decided to sit on the grass under the shade of a big tree to lessen the heat. "She said she wants to protect because she has never experienced that ever in her life. What do you think she meant by that?"

 

"Honestly, I don't know. I only know the same amount that you guys do. We don't really talk that much whenever we're alone. We often sat in our room in silence, either she's reading a book or doing her assignments diligently."

 

"You guys sounded like a domestic couple," Wonyoung smiled teasingly. "You guys would make a great couple! You said you like being protected, right? Kwangbae will your knight!" The kid clapped in excitement.

 

Eunbi was caught off guard by the younger girl's comment. She can't even utter her denial. So Eunbi decides to change the topic, "Why did you even ask me to hang out?"

 

"My family cut ties with me since I already turned 18... They only left me a letter saying that they wish me the best for my future." If Eunbi knew that this was the reason, she wouldn't even dare to ask Wonyoung.

 

"I'm sorry about that, Wonyoungie." Eunbi hugged her giant baby for comfort. "Let's eat that sadness away! You still have your chosen family anyway."

 

*****

 

Hyewon was in so much pain to the point she felt her mind would explode including her body. It was too much to take in all at once for her.

 

She can't see anything other than blurred fragments of what seemed to be her memory. She tried to remember and chase after it as it plays in front of her but it would only change into something different then hurts her head more. To say that she was struggling is an understatement, she can swear that she almost feels like dying. She tried calling for Dr. Myoui's help but to no avail, she became desperate that she was actually shouting for help even though she knew she's in a blank space.

 

Another memory played right before her eyes, it was longer than the others that passed by her. Even if everything hurts, she tries to make something out of it. She looked and looked at even the smallest detail that might help her remember.

 

"Hye, when we're done with this... Promise me will stay with each other no matter what. Let's protect each other. Alright?" The person laid her finger for a pinky promise. Her body moving on its own tried to grasp the other end but it only led her to another.

 

Hyewon can clearly hear the scream of the agony of tons of people. It was blurry like the others as well but Hyewon was sure that she's in a facility of some sort.

 

"Hyewon! Hyewon! Please, help me! Help me, Hyewon!" It came from the same person she made a promise with.

 

Hyewon heard a different voice, it was stern yet sounded with worry. "Hyewon, we have to leave. They can catch up on us any moment."

 

"Hyewon!" The same girl once again shouted but this time it was evident that she was crying in despair and pain.

 

Hyewon finally had a glimpse of the girl but she was not sure if that could be any help. It was somewhat familiar but that's it, she doesn't know anything other than the feeling of familiarity.

 

Hyewon then passed out and came back in reality. She was gasping for air like she was trapped underwater for so long. Her monitor was showing how fast her heart is beating and her blood pressure was also intensely high.

 

Dr. Myoui remained composed and relaxed like the professional she is. She's been instructing everyone inside the room and the control room since Hyewon's mind stopped responding to her.

 

Once they were able to Hyewon to sleep, she immediately instructed to bring the girl in the medical wing as she finishes writing her observations on her clipboard;

 

KANG HYEWON- Mind Control (???)

 

1. A family composed of four people: Parents and a brother.

2. Person A drove her almost to insanity.

3. Almost the same procedure had happened to her before.

4. Was in some sort of facility for a very long time.

5. Person B was her savior and salvation yet the reason for Hyewon's pain as well.

 

*****

 

When they heard the news about Hyewon getting sent to the medical wing, her friends came running to see her.

 

Yena and Yujin went to both beds' sides. "Kwangbae! Can you hear me? It's me, your best friend!" Yena was close to tears when she saw Hyewon. Yujin on the other side held hands and was internally praying that her friend didn't suffer any serious injuries.

 

"How can Ms. Park let this happen?! Was she too harsh on you during your session?" Yena finally broke into tears.

 

"Yena," Eunbi called. "She's fine, she passed out but she's recovering well on her own without Ms. Yoo's help so that doctor she'll be out of here tomorrow."

 

"Thank goodness! We made a long list of things to do and we promised to do every single one of it."

 

"She's out by tomorrow already? But didn't she just send here a few hours ago?" Yujin was confused. The group was still not sure what kind of power/s Hyewon posses.

 

"Yeah but turns out that her cells work faster than us but not fast as a mutant with self-healing powers."

 

"What were they doing anyway?" Yena sits comfortably in the bed but was careful enough not to wake Hyewon up or cause any problems in general.

 

"I don't know..." Eunbi answered. "You two should get your rest. I'll tell Hyewon that you stopped by when she wakes up."

 

"Call for us, okay? I'll run here quickly as possible!" Yujin bids goodbye and hugged both, Eunbi and Hyewon. "I'll see you tomorrow, Kwangbae!"

 

"I'll train harder for you, Kwangbae! Lezgetit!" Yena and Yujin finally leave after their goodbyes.

 

"You really had me worried, Hyewonie. You shouldn't have pushed yourself too hard, you gotta take of yourself too." Eunbi plays with the sleeping mutant's finger. Eunbi traced Hyewon's palm, drew circles on it as she waits for the latter to wake up but eventually her tiredness struck her. She fell asleep holding Hyewon's hand.