Chapter 5

If The World Is Ending...

"You're a good to go, bud! I'm sure Ms. Yoo also noticed your improvements during our class." Hyewon smiled at Yena when they finished their training.

"You think so!?" Yena was happy hearing those words. She's been working her off like what she promised the night she visited Hyewon in the medical wing.

Yujin was clapping happily, "We should celebrate tonight and invite everyone! Yuri has been bugging Minjoo for so long that we seldom see each other."

"Psh! Just say you miss Minjoo's lips against yours and go," Yena teases the pup. "But yeah, let's celebrate with everyone. It feels like ages to me when we last hung out."

"We should ask Ms. Kim if we can borrow her classroom for the movie marathon," Yujin suggested while they head back inside the manor.

"Why not send Kwangbae to Ms. Park? We'll surely get a clean go if she's the one asking."

"Yena, you dummy! Ms. Park hasn't come back yet, remember? I'm doing our sessions with Dr. Myoui," Hyewon reminded her duck friend. Yujin was clinging to her arm like a puppy while she acts as the owner, petting the taller kid's head.

"Right... Then send Eunbi to Ms. Kim? Everybody loves Eunbi including our teachers."

"Everybody?"

"Ooooh! Is our Kwangbae jealous? Does the idea of everybody wanting Eunbi makes you mad?" Yena teasingly bumped Hyewon's shoulder with hers.

"Don't worry, Kwangbae. I'm sure Eunbi only sees you. Can't you see how her eyes turn to hearts when she looks at you? You'll be fine, trust me!" Yujin then shouted, "KangBi for life!"

"For life!" Yena joined the pup in teasing. Hyewon's face turned red quicker than Yujin runs.

"Hey! Both of you, shut up! People might get the wrong idea and might actually believe your nonsense." Yena and Yujin didn't stop so it led to Hyewon chasing after them as the two runs while still shouting "KangBi for life!"

*****

Their request was denied so they went for their Plan B; Camping outside and stargazing. Though they weren't really allowed to sleep, they have to get back inside at least 10 minutes before curfew.

With the help of Nako's ability, they had their bonfire easily to warm them. Twelve of them are circled around the fire; snacks, and sodas within reach. And couples are sitting beside each other, cuddling for comfort and extra heat.

"Tomi, here's your question; would you rather exchange abilities with your twin, Nako, or not suffer for your whole life not being able to cheese bread?" Yena was proud of the question she came up with. She thought that Hitomi will have trouble picking but the latter answered the question in a beat, "Easy! Never eat cheese bread my whole life!"

"What?!" Everyone was surprised by the Japanese's answer. They're playing Would You Rather and it was Hitomi's turn.

"I'd never exchange my ability for something lamer!" Hitomi said her reason.

"Excuse me?! Who do you call when it's dark? Me. Who heats your bread at the exact level? the Me. Now, who's ability you're calling lame?" Nako retorted. She found her twin's answer offensive and her reason silly.

"Hello? There's thing hydropower called," Tomi bites back.

"Can Minjoo turn back time and slap Yena before she can ask Tomi the question?" Chaeyeon asked but was ignored since the twins' argument becomes interesting.

"Do you know the hassle it is to use hydropower? You'd still need a machine that would turn it to electricity, dummy." The two started bickering about who's power is better until Hyewon cut it, "Alright, alright. Both of you made your points. But let's be honest, both you will still need a lot of work to produce electricity."

"Okay, everyone. Let's refrain from asking things that might start a debate or demonstration as proof," Eunbi spoke.

"Awe! I was about to ask Chaewon if she can carry everyone on her back all at once," Yujin pouted. She's was just actually looking for a reason to get someone to carry her.

"And I'm just about to ask Yuri to make every mutant with the hyperacusia go deaf with her silent scream," Yena sarcastically commented against Yujin's idea. "Isn't it obvious? Of course, she can! She has super strength!" The cloning duck added.

"As if yours wasn't obvious! Yuri can even levitate things with her low register voice!"

"Yujin, haven't you heard sarcasm before?" With Yena's remark, another bickering has started.

"Should I teleport us back to our room?" Sakura asked her girlfriend who's leaning on her.

"Nah. Let them be. It's been a while and Kwangbae has to see every side of us to decide whether to keep us as her chosen family or not," Chaeyeon joked while she watch the duck and the puppy bickering.

Despite the laughs and noise, Hyewon noticed that Wonyoung remained quiet. "You okay there, kid?" Hyewon didn't get any reply so she kept calling Wonyoung's name in a whisper.

"Huh? You were saying?" The youngest only answered when Hyewon tapped her shoulder.

"I said, you seemed off. Are you alright?" Hyewon swore that whoever made her baby sad, she will take their lives slowly and painfully.

"Ms. Liu was upset that I still can't control my height when shape-shifting..." Wonyoung honestly answered.

"Oh no. Baby..." Hyewon immediately hugged Wonyoung for comfort. "You'll get it right soon. To hell with Ms. Liu, you're doing you're best and that's what more important."

Eunbi was watching the whole interaction and it melted her heart. No one imagined that Hyewon would turn out to be from stoic to someone clingy and shows her affection in many different forms. Nevertheless, she's happy that Hyewon is still Hyewon they knew. The only thing that worries her is the MED and Hyewon hasn't discovered her abilities yet.

"We better get inside. 10 minutes before curfew," Chaeyeon being one of the responsible ones in the group instructed to pack up. Yena even duplicated herself to make sure they'll wrap up quickly.

*****

Eunbi got a free time today so while she was heading to the library, she passed by the garden and saw Ms. Park and Dr. Myoui seriously talking. She's not the type to eavesdrop or anything but when she heard they mentioned her roommate's name, she had lost her control.

She carefully went closer and kept herself hidden as she continues to listen to the two adults' conversation.

"Hyewon is doing good with our sessions. Slowly but surely, she was able to put a clearer image of her memories."

"That's actually good. I was really expecting that results on that would take longer. How about her powers? Does she more than one?"

"I don't think so but we're doing the final ability test this upcoming Sunday. Since Hyewon doesn't possess any common abilities, the chances of her power relating to mind is higher than before."

"Thank you for doing this, Mina. I really appreciate the help and the effort." Eunbi was more than sure that Ms. Park was the one who just spoke.

"Of course, Jihyo. We can't let them do the same thing to Hyewon that happened with Chaeyoung. Enough is enough." Eunbi was surprised at the amount of emotion laid in the doctor's voice. Her mind was spiraling with her own takes about whatever they are talking about.

"I'm hoping that once Hyewon gains back her memories, she'll not astray from the path where she is right now. That poor kid must've gone through a lot."

A lot was still going on inside Eunbi's head even the two older mutants has started walking away. Questions started to rise out of nowhere then Eunbi heard Ms. Park's voice, "I trust you that you won't tell anyone, even Hyewon herself whatever you heard from my conversation with Dr. Myoui. This is only until we confirm anything... and for everyone's safety in the meantime."

I should've known better than my thoughts were too loud! Ms. Park caught me because of it! Eunbi scolded herself.

Eunbi tried to continue her day like any normal day she had in the Academy but it was useless. It was pretty obvious that something's bothering her. Her friends even called her out during dinner.

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" Snapping back to reality, she just realized that Hyewon sat beside her. "I'll listen whatever it is."

"But what if it's related to you? What if this triggers something in you and changes you completely from the person we all knew? Will we be able to trust you still?"

That's what Eunbi wanted to say but she knows she can't so, "I'm fine. I'm just a little tired. Cuddle me to sleep?"

"Of course," Hyewon replied with a smile.

They have moved their beds together since they both enjoy sleeping next to each other. For Eunbi, she feels safe sleeping next to Hyewon and for the latter, nightmares occur seldom knowing Eunbi is just right next to her.

Eunbi put the younger's arm around her waist. She badly needs comfort right now and the only thing that can give that to her is her roommate.

Hyewon wasn't sure if her feeling for the older mutant was similar to some books she has read. Though, she won't deny that the symptoms were similar. She feels butterflies in her stomach when Eunbi is close to her just like now, she can't stop nor get Eunbi out of her mind no matter how occupied she is, she constantly craves for her presence, and last but not the least, her heart beats abnormally with a mere sight of her roommate.