Chapter 3

If The World Is Ending...

 

Hyewon has the whole day all to herself. She doesn't have a class or session with Ms. Park.

 

Hyewon stood close to the window, feeling the warmth of the sunray against her skin. Everything still feels surreal on Hyewon's end. Her life completely changed 360° and no one would have ever thought that it was possible.

 

"Hyewon, I'm done. You can use the bathroom now," Eunbi smiled. The older was drying her with her towel.

 

Eunbi was ecstatic that the younger was slowly starting to open up to her. Hyewon would ask for her help if she doesn't understand a thing or two on her class assignments and Eunbi was more than happy to oblige since the younger seemed weak when it comes to History and Science which is the older's area of expertise.

 

"Eun, it's your free day today too, right?" Eunbi replied with an affirmation hum. "Can you accompany me to the library today? Yena isn't free until lunch."

 

"Of course!"

 

Eunbi also noticed that the beautiful mutant likes to read books. She would often see Hyewon immensely enjoying the book to the point the latter would show emotions that she seldom sees whenever there are people around.

 

There was one night when Hyewon woke her up and asked if she can cuddle the beauty to sleep. And she found out that Hyewon just finished reading John Green's The Fault in our Stars. She hasn't read the book but Eunbi has watched the movie and she knew the ending was a sad one.

 

"By the way, how's training with Yena?" Eunbi asked before Hyewon could enter the bathroom for her bath.

 

"We're slowly making progress. Do you want to come later? Sakura will be joining too."

 

"That sounds lovely."

 

****

 

"Yena, you have to twist your hips along with your arm. Like this," Hyewon went behind Yena and move the duck's body like what she was saying.

 

"I still can't believe how can her slim built managed to take down two of our greatest combat instructors. I mean, look at her face! She's so ing pretty! Who would have thought, right?" Yujin said beside Eunbi. Yujin was taking a break from her run and is now watching her two friends.

 

"Daeng, language. But I'm thinking the same thing too. Where did she learn to do those things?" Eunbi said. They continued watching on the side with Sakura and Chaeyeon that they completely ignored when the two started flirting with each other.

 

"Hey. We're making progress no matter how small it is. And soon without even realizing it, you'll be amazing." Yena couldn't believe that Hyewon just tried to cheer her up. She was close to giving up when she wasn't able to land a proper punch and they've been training for almost a week.

 

Yena being the bubbly person that she is, hugged Hyewon and thanked the taller girl. "I'm really sorry for creeping up on you before. I just badly wanted to befriend you since we were born in the same year."

 

"I've been told. What month were you born anyway?"

 

"September. You?"

 

Yena was scared for a moment when Hyewon smirked. She doesn't know what that means, Hyewon hasn't smiled at anyone other than Eunbi, Nako, and Wonyoung.

 

"I'm older than you, I was born in July. That means should use honorifics with me," Hyewon answered and the smirk grew bigger.

 

Yena immediately bowed and apologized for her actions. Hyewon laughed so hard that she gained the others' attention.

 

Surprised that Hyewon was laughing out loud, the others went to them to check on what happened. When they did, they joined the beauty in laughing as well. Yena keeps on apologizing.

 

"It's fine, Yena. I was just messing with you. You don't have to call me with honorifics, I'm more comfortable if you all call me casually. Just like a friend..."

 

Eunbi doesn't know why she feels proud that Hyewon is now also opening up to them but Eunbi thinks that Hyewon deserves a reward for doing so. She thought it was a big leap on Hyewon's end to do it.

 

"Since we're friends, you should come with us tomorrow. Our families can visit every Sunday to check on us and bring us outside the Academy. They'll be stoned to meet someone pretty like you!" Yujin excitedly suggested.

 

"I'd love to but I can't. I have sessions with Ms. Park every Sunday."

 

"Awesome! You must have some cool god-tier power! Do you have more than one power? Because only a few have a session with Ms. Park and most of them are students with more than one and can control their powers perfectly fine."

 

"Quite the opposite, Saku-chan." Hyewon scratched her head out of embarrassment. "I can't control it. It's like I don't even have one until something happens out of the blue."

 

"That must be hard for you... But knowing Ms. Park, she'll do everything within her best to help you," Chaeyeon said, hoping it will lessen her friend's worries.

 

****

 

After dinner, all mutants were gathered in the common hall. Some are watching the news, some are catching up with their friends and some are just there just because they got nothing better to do.

 

"Mutant wreaked havoc earlier at the City Hall," said in the news. Displaying footage of a mutant thrashing the whole place. Throwing cars all over and threatening the lives of ordinary people.

 

"Damn. Girly got no chill," a mutant commented when the footage showed the mutant dead sent a car flying to the police who are responding.

 

"She's bulletproof?! Girly is hella strong and one of a kind of mutant! There are only like 1% of the mutant population who has the same ability!" Another mutant stated.

 

"Her kind is the sole reason why the country is still debating about the MuMo. Why can't they just stay in the shadows instead of causing trouble?" A senior mutant sighed.

 

"Eun, what's a MuMo?" Hyewon was reading her book while her friends are busy.

 

"Mutant Movement. It's like a petition to let mutants like us have the same privileges as ordinary people. Ms. Park is one of their members, with other mutants and ordinary people who believe that everyone can live harmoniously despite the differences."

 

"Hmm. Uhm... what about the MED? What's that?"

 

Eunbi can't help but giggle. Hyewon already stayed for three weeks yet the latter only asked her now about the said event. She can't believe that she thought that Hyewon already knew because she's doing what everyone has been doing.

 

"MED, Mutant Examination Day. Everyone has different schedules of the examination day, depending on what your power is or are. This lasts for a month since Ms. Park and the other instructors as well observe our improvement with our powers."

 

Oh... no wonder Yena worries as she'll die on that day whenever Yujin teases her.

 

"Kang, Ms. Park would like to see you in her office," Ms. Chou stated as soon as she entered the hall. The lady was quite tall so it wasn't hard for her to spot Hyewon.

 

"Do you think she's in trouble?" Yena asked Eunbi as they watch their friend leave the room with the instructor.

 

"I doubt that. Hyewon has been following ground rules very well. It's probably about their session tomorrow. With the news about the scamp mutant, Ms. Park will be busy dealing with the press and the government."

 

*****

 

Entering the office, Hyewon immediately bowed and apologized when she saw there was another person inside.

 

"Hyewon, I'd like you to meet my friend Dr. Myoui."

 

"Good evening, Dr. Myoui."

 

"I'll cut to the chase. Dr. Myoui will be my substitute in our sessions until I get back. I'm guessing you've heard the news too, right?" Hyewon nodded. "Your sessions will not be disclosed to anyone else that's not here inside my office."

 

"Understood, Ms. Park." Hyewon then faced the doctor, "I'll be in my best behavior and will fully cooperate with you for I'll be in your care, Dr. Myoui."

 

"I'll be looking forward to our session tomorrow, Ms. Kang," Dr. Myoui replied with a soft smile.

 

"Please, call me Hyewon instead."

 

"Alright! Seems like we're all at a great start. You guys continue this tomorrow. You can now take your rest, Hyewon."

 

Hyewon made sure to thank both ladies before she takes her leave. When she passed by the great hall it was already empty so Hyewon decided to proceed to her room instead.

 

Upon entering, she was welcomed by Eunbi who's preparing herself to sleep. Hyewon changed her clothe and do everything necessary before she sleeps.

 

"You seemed off. Are you okay? Something happened in the office?"

 

Hyewon shifts from her bed and now facing Eunbi. "I'm scared... I met Dr. Myoui. She's nice and all but I'm nervous..."

 

Eunbi didn't hesitate to stand up from her bed and motioned Hyewon to scoot. "You seemed you were hesitating to ask me to cuddle you again so I initiated. Am I right or I misjudged?"

 

"No, no, no... Thank you."

 

They didn't cuddle but Eunbi was humming something soothing that helped Hyewon to sleep.

 

Eunbi was once again left in awe of how the younger looked so beautiful even she's asleep. There's something about Hyewon that piqued something in Eunbi that she has never felt for anyone.