Chapter 21

If The World Is Ending...

Hyewon wasn't expecting her father's nonchalance. She was allowed to use the gym, go to the part of the place that's not strictly guarded. She was not being treated as a prisoner, very contrary to her father's own words the other.

 

"You're back already?" Hyewon asked when she saw Suhyun enters her cell.

 

"Yeah. My next mission doesn't need to be rushed and I have time to spare so I thought why not check on you." Suhyun casually plops herself to the bed. "Your mattress got softer, new one?"

 

Hyewon chuckled, "No. It's still the same mattress, Hyun." She then place the bookmark and closed the book she was reading. Giving her full attention to the girl on her bed. "So, how was infiltrating the Blue House?"

 

"Boring as hell! I wish Dad will let you go and let you join me in my missions again," Suhyun sighed. "Anyways, how are you holding up? You won't go berserk until the D-Day, right?"

 

"Nah! I think I might not do that. I feel relaxed actually. Although I'm curious about one thing."

 

"Ask away," Suhyun encouraged.

 

"Why does he let me walk around like I'm still the mutant he made? Like I'm still part of this and nothing happened? I thought I'm a prisoner who betrayed the organization?"

 

Suhyun tapped the space next to her so Hyewon moved from her chair to the bed. "Technically speaking, you're but minus the part of being involved with the organization. Think of it as another version of the first time he brought you here; an innocent child with no powers. He probably still sees you as his kid."

 

Hyewon won't admit it but Suhyun was right. His father was doing similar things to her like he used to back when everything was still normal. For example, his father would sometimes stop at her cell and talk to her about everything except anything related to the organization or mutants. There was also a time when Dr. Kang gifted her a guitar to help her ease the boredom.

 

"And the reason why he's confident you won't do something displeasing is because of this," Suhyun then touched the part behind her ear. "Seems like you didn't remember about that one and Ms. Park never noticed but that's how they control us before and that's where they also got the idea of the fog."

 

Hyewon subconsciously touches that part. Suhyun stands up and checks her watch, "I need to go or else I'll be late and I have to deal with their nagging. Try not to do anything stupid while I’m gone."

 

"All right. Take care, Hyun." Hyewon chuckled. She stands up from the bed and hugged the girl before ushering her to the door.

 

I wonder how are they doing at the Academy? Were they able to read my letter?

 

*****

 

"Draw it better! You've got the details are all wrong!" Yujin scolded as she watches Yena draw some sort of a map.

 

"Why don't you do it? Seems like you know every detail!" Yena then slams the pen out of frustration. Yujin kept mum, as she was also not much help when she tried drawing her version of the map. Yujin could only remember chunks of her memory that day, she passed out due to exhaustion when they safely reached the Academy’s premises.

 

"If only Chaeyeon agreed to fly me there, it would be much easier," Sakura spoke. “She remembers everything,” she added.

 

They were all gathered at the library to figure out how they will rescue Hyewon and Suhyun. Chaeyeon was the first one who disagreed with their plan. She reasoned that they should respect Hyewon's decisions and avoid causing more trouble to Ms. Park. As for Eunbi, she was not the same as before. She managed to pretend to be fine whenever Hyewon is with Suhyun before but this was different. She was lost. She was unsure if she'll ever meet the girl ever again.

 

Hitomi is still busy with her new routines of training to help get back her girlfriend and Minjoo's ability. Nako stayed with her to make sure her twin is safe while the others are busy trying to distract Eunbi and themselves as well.

 

"Holy !" Yena exclaimed, earning a loud shush from the librarian and others who are there. "Sorry," she apologized and sits back in her chair.

 

"What was that for?" Sakura asked.

 

"I finally have a solution," Yena gestured them to move closer. "The van has a dashboard cam. We only need to get that and we have ourselves a map."

 

"Are we even sure that it was on when we went out? And what if they already changed or erased it?" Yujin asked.

 

"Well, it won't hurt if we try, right? We’ll never know the answer until we move our asses to the garage," Yena then leads the two outside with a brand new determination. "Hang on a little longer, Hye. We're coming!" Yena thought.

 

When they arrived at the garage, as they expected, there's a guard on duty. "Now, what?" Yujin asked.

 

"Should we ask for others' help? Wonyoung will be the greatest help. She can shift to Ms. Park or any professor. What do you think?" Yena asked back.

 

"Yeah, let's do that."

 

*****

 

Eunbi was once again alone in the garden. She's been avoiding everyone and since there are only a few mutants left in the Academy after the recent attack, the situation worked for her somehow.

 

The reason why she and her friends and some mutants are still at the Academy is that their family is confident that they are safe there. The government had required every mutant to have their name listed to keep an eye on them for everybody's safety.

 

"You've been spending your time here more often." Eunbi looks up and saw Sian standing a few steps away.

 

"It's quiet here. As if everything is just the same as before," she replied while scooting to let Sian sit next to her.

 

"I see. How are you holding up?"

 

"Good, I guess." The girl next to her only gave her a knowing look. "Sigh. To be honest, I feel numb. I can't feel anything. I still ask myself why does she have to leave. We're all stronger and safer together here."

 

"I don't know Hyewon that well but maybe she has some issues she wants to be fixed? Maybe she'll come back?"

 

"That's the problem! We don't know if she will ever come back. I don't want to think that she's dead or she went back siding with her organization but I can't help it. There are too many questions left unanswered and as the day goes by, new ones add up." Eunbi can't help but cry her frustrations out. She's been trying her best to look fine for the past few days. Suppressing her frustrations or masking her sadness with smiles trying to make everyone believe that everything will be fine but she knew she was doing it for herself more than anyone else.

 

Sian couldn't say anything that would comfort the girl so she just hugs her instead. Letting herself be Eunbi's crying shoulder. "Don't you want to try to help your friends? I heard they're planning on something. I ran into them earlier at the garage."

 

Eunbi sniffed. She stayed quiet for a while to collect herself. "Wait. Did you say garage?" Sian nodded to the question. Hearing the word garage and her friends in the same sentence does not seem right. “Do you know why they were there?” Eunbi asked.

 

"Not really. They were there for just a short minute then left." Sian then checks her watch, "I gotta go now. I still got some packing to do things. My family is picking me up before dinner."

 

Eunbi replied with a smile and nod. Sian didn’t forget to give the older mutant a warm and long hug before she leaves the place. After Sian was no longer in sight, Eunbi stays in the garden for a little longer. Savoring the quietness once again as she starts to rethink her decision about helping her friends with their plan. She might not be a big help but someone needs to keep an eye on them. "For Hyewon."

 

*****

 

"Come on, Wongs! Don't you want to help us get Hyewon back? After all those laughs and stories we shared with her--"

 

"Ahn Yujin! Don't use that guilt card on me. I want Kwangbae back here as much as you all do," Wonyoung crossed her arm, showing her displeasure with Yujin's choice of words. "You guys know that we'll be in serious trouble if Ms. Park finds out, right?" she added.

 

"Exactly! That's why we're trying to do this quietly and unsuspicious as much as possible," Yena answered.

 

"You know that there's already a word going around about what you guys are doing, right?" They all look at the door and saw Eunbi standing. "You should really keep your voices down whenever you guys talk about it. Words spread fast around here, you know that."

 

The three were watching Eunbi with confusion. She never said anything about their plan, whether she supports it or disagrees. She’ll just listen to them with whatever they come up with. The next thing Eunbi said causes their brains to stop working. "You should do it, Wonnie. I'm sure if Hye is here, she'd encourage you to help them."

 

"Huh?" The three of them spoke in chorus. Heads tilted sideways like confused puppies.

 

"What? Someone needs to make sure your plans will work and you will stick with it." Eunbi then faced Wonnie with a smile, "Wonnie, let's go and see how far you can copy our professors."

 

"What was that? Is that her way of telling us that she's on board with our plan?" Yena whispered to Sakura. They're just watching the two walk out of the room.

 

"I don't know but that's enough to convince Chaen." Sakura then disappeared before any of the two could say anything.

 

"Should we tell the others too?" Yujin asked while they follow the two bunny-looking mutants at a safe distance.

 

"I'm already on it," Yena smugly said. She's been practicing her ability all by herself ever since they got back from the facility. She can now duplicate herself without anyone noticing it.

 

Yujin's eyes sparkled with amusement, "Awesome! Now that there’s more of us, we'll surely make this mission a success!"

 

When they reach Eunbi's room, the two immediately slouch themselves on the empty bed. The same bed that Hyewon used to sleep on.

 

"Hey, you two! Move to my bed. It took me hours to fix that empty bed!" Eunbi shooed the two away. The reason that she does not want them or anyone on that bed was because she was afraid that their scent would replace Hyewon's faint scent and that's the only thing left for Eunbi to keep going. "Okay, you can start now, Wonnie."

 

"Tsk! She told us to move because she wants the bed all to herself," Yujin scoffed and Yena agreed.

 

"You two shut up or else I'll kick you out," Eunbi threatened. Wonyoung laughed and the kid needed it. She needs to make sure she’s calm so she'll be able to shift perfectly as much as possible.

 

Wonyoung tried shifting into someone she most often sees on a daily basis, her Shape-shifting professor, Ms. Park Sooyoung.

 

"Wow! You look exactly just like her!" Yena clapped.

 

"Try Yena! Try Yena!" Yujin cheered and Wonyoung complied. "So that's what you look if you're taller. It doesn't suit you," Yuji told Yena. Wonyoung copied her friend almost perfectly except for her height. The youngest laughed along with them when she saw how weird Yena looked if the latter was taller.

 

“Shut up,” Yena whined.

 

"Okay Wonnie, now try Ms. Park. It doesn't matter if you don't get the height or miss a detail. What's important is that you have to look like her, okay?" Eunbi encouraged the youngest with a smile.

 

*****

 

"I can't believe Kura and Chaen just left us here! Kura could've just teleported all of us with her!"

 

"Shush, Yena! You'll get us caught. And you know how teleportation tires the living life out of her," Eunbi scolded. She peeks from the wall they were hiding, checking if there are any staff or guards roaming around the garage. "It's clear, let's go."

 

"Question," Wonyoung said while they wait for Yujin by the van. The tall mutant was fetching for the car keys from its hooks. "Why do you have backpacks with you? What's inside them?" she asked.

 

"They should really put these somewhere more safe and secured instead of having it hanging around the garage unattended," Yujin told and hands the car keys to Eunbi.

 

Originally, the plan was to have Wonyoung at the driver's seat, shifted to Ms. Park, to make it more convincing. She'll drive up to the main road where Chaeyeon and Kura will be waiting then change seats there. But since she doesn't know how to drive, they had to tweak their plan.

 

Once Wonyoung was finished transforming to the form of the Headmaster, they drove up to the gate but stopped by a guard, "Sorry but no one's allowed to-- Oh! Ms. Park, good evening."

 

"Good evening. Would please kindly open the gate for us, sir?" Wonyoung voiced crack between the sentence since she was also trying to copy how the Headmaster speaks.

 

"Er... Sir?" The guard tilted his head out of confusion. He moves closer to the passenger seat. The guard then pointed his light, he was checking the fan and Ms. Park. "May I ask where are you headed, Ms. Park?"

 

Wonyoung can feel every part of herself intensely sweating. She calms her nerves before speaking, "Please refrain from asking questions. I'd appreciate it more if you had just opened the gate," Wonyoung replied. She tried to be sweet yet firm as what she usually sees from the superior mutant.

 

The guard then opened the gate with no further questions even though he was still in doubt. He knew that the Headmaster always drives herself so it was odd to see someone else do it for her let alone a student, in a van.

 

When they are finally at a safe distance from the gate, Wonyoung shifts back to her own skin. "Oh my god! That was the scariest 5 minutes of my life! Eun, he knows what are we up to! He’s certain that I’m not Ms. Park!" Wonyoung exclaimed out of panic.

 

Yujin and Yena then finally move to the seat from hiding behind it. "Hey, hey, hey. You did well, Wongs. You were great!" Yujin gave some jellies to the youngest to calm her down while she also pats her back.

 

"Where did you get this?" Wonyoung asked. She accepted the jellies and eats them.

 

Not for long, they finally met the couple mutant. "What took you so long? We're literally freezing here," Chaeyeon said, entering the vehicle. Eunbi quickly apologized and explained the minor issue at the gate.

 

"Blankets? Where did you get them?" Sakura asked after receiving two blankets from Yena.

 

"That's what you have on your bags? Candies and blankets?" Eunbi asked through the rearview mirror. She has started driving again, following the map that Chaeyeon and Yena made after watching the footage from the dashboard camera.

 

"Yeah. I may not remember everything but I'm sure as hell remember that we were starving and cold that day," Yujin answered nonchalantly.

 

"Where did you even get them?" Wonyoung asked, almost done with the jellies.

 

"Simple. We went to the pantry and played a fair game against the staff for the candies and snacks and as for the spare blankets we told the utility staff that we're experiencing a "red" emergency." Yena and Yujin then showed off their bags as if they're shooting for a commercial.

 

Eunbi just listened to her friends and glances from time to time. She focuses back on her driving and thinks of Hyewon. "We're coming, Hye. Just a little bit more. We're coming."