Chapter 25

If The World Is Ending...

 

"When will that come back?" Hyewon irritatingly asked. It's been hours since Uno left them but, the mutant hasn't come back yet. Suhyun's starting to get suspicious. Only calling for Uno is one, then they haven't heard anything from the headquarters regarding the president. "Do you think one of us should go?" Hyewon suggested.

 

"We should stay here. Uno's probably on her way back here anyway," Suhyun answered.

 

"Is it just me or, she's really acting weird earlier?" Hyewon asked as she joined Suhyun with cleaning up the dishes.

 

"Care to elaborate? She seems fine to me. I mean, I don't know if she's programmed to be weird but, she's been like that ever since," Suhyun answers.

 

"Nah, You're right! I'm just overthinking here," Hyewon dismisses her own words. The two then proceed with their preparation as told.

 

*****

"You do know the weight of the consequences of these, yes? Because one slip up can result in, if not more, probably heavier problems than you're facing right now," the now-normal mutant asked when she finished explaining to Yujin that time travel is indeed possible but complicated.

 

"I'd do anything to save my friends. I'd rather face those problems with them than suffer the regret of not trying this while I grieve their deaths," Yujin answers.

 

Momo nods, "If you say so. Good luck, kid!" Yujin thanked the older mutant for the pointers then sprinted to her friends' location.

 

She arrived just in time. Her girlfriend and two of her other friends just stepped out of the Headmaster's office. She immediately went to Minjoo for a hug. "How was it?" she asks them. The three shared a look and squealed. "I did it! I was able to control the bunny's blood!" Hitomi cheered. "Dr. Myoui said one more session to be sure then Hitomi will be doing it to us next," Minjoo smiled.

 

"Not that I don't want you here, Daeng, but why are you here? Are you all guys back here?" Chaewon asked. Yujin shakes her head no, "Just wanted to check on you three. Oh! By the way, we saw Hyewon unfold a dozen of powers last night. It was epic!" Yujin still gushes even though she was scared for her life when she saw it the first time.

 

"For real?" Hitomi asked with wide eyes open. Yujin nodded like a bubblehead display of a car. "What does it look like?" Chaewon joined.

 

"To make it short, because I probably need to go back there, think of all of our powers but, Kwangbae has it all."

 

"Like, all of us?" Minjoo repeated. "Yes, all of US. Including yours and Chaewon's," Yujin answered. "Anyway, I really need to go now. I'll tell them you guys said hello," she added. Yujin didn't forget to kiss Minjoo on her forehead before she ran back to their other friends.

 

While Yujin was running, her mind was preoccupied with pulling off the time jump with her power. She considered every possibility that might happen if she continued with her plan. "Will someone get hurt if I push through? Will everything turn out just fine? What if I mess up? Instead of saving them, what if I end up killing them all?" She pulls herself away from her thoughts when she finally realizes that she's been running around her destination for some laps now.

 

"Ahn Yujin! Can't you come back sooner? Eunbi was starting to get worried. Go and see her," Yena nags the younger mutant. "What's up with her? Why is that kid so out of focus today?" Yena was talking to herself while watching Yujin walk away from her but, suddenly someone from her behind spoke, "Right?! She's acting weird! Chaeyeon told me to shrug it off but, I can't."

 

"Isn't your turn to be the lookout? What are you doing here?" Yena asks Sakura, completely disregarding the latter's comment. "I was on my way to get some water, okay? The boredom dried the heck out of me," she defends herself. "Anyway, what do you think she's up to? Should we ask her? How sure are we that she'll tell us?" Sakura still pushes her agenda.

 

"No. Go back to your post and do your part. Shoo!" Yena replied then, pushed Sakura away.

 

*****

"Where have you been? We're behind schedule," Hyewon scolds Uno that just arrived. The older mutant then tosses the car keys. "I assume you know how to drive?" Uno nods. "Good. You're driving because we've done your task so, you do mine." Hyewon didn't wait for her reply and just went straight to the car with Suhyun following her behind, shrugging when she walked past Uno.

 

They're on their way back to the hideout since Plan A is a bust and, it seems to them that the government chose to keep it from the public that the president is missing. So, they will announce it by themselves instead, which is their Plan B for the operation.

 

They soon arrived at the hideout and were welcomed by people rushing all over the place. All staffs are busy with their own things that none of them notice that the three mutants have the president walking beside them hand-tied. Suhyun and Hyewon shrugged it off. They had seen the organization in a busier state than this. Although something caught Suhyun's attention, she heard the president whisper, "So, this is the place..."

 

"You were saying something, Mr. President?" Suhyun asks for clarification but, the man just shook his head no. "I definitely heard him say something..."

 

"My ever-loyal kids are back!" Dr. Kang welcomed the three, ignoring the president.

 

"Where--"

 

A man interrupts Hyewon's question. "Sir, phase one is accomplished." The man then the news and, it displayed their city almost ruined; crashed cars along the road, burning buildings and establishments, people injured, and panicking. The camera pans to the reporter and says, "This is a live broadcast and, we can all obviously see who's behind this mess! It's all the damned mutants!" On cue, a mutant with pyrokinetic ability landed a few feet away from the reporter, and then he creeps behind the reporter's back, and, with a single touch, the reporter set into flames. The broadcast continued airing with the camera was panned to the sky. They can all still hear the screaming of the reporter and the cry for help in the background.

 

The two mutants then shift their gaze to each other and then to Dr. Kang. "Is this why our Plan A did not work? Mutants on the loose?" Hyewon was the first to ask.

 

They were expecting answers but, it only added more confusion for them. "Uno, why don't you free Mr. President and him to our VIP room? I'm sure he's beat tired from yesterday and the drive. Let him get some enough rest for the grand finale, yes?" 

 

"I asked you something," Hyewon said. Her patience has obviously worn out since yesterday and, she won't have any more vague answers from her father regarding his actual plan.

 

"Isn't obvious yet, my child? He's our investor, ever since from the beginning," Dr. Kang answered with a proud smile.

 

"I thought Lykos was a private organization?" Suhyun chimed in.

 

"We are and, thanks to his influences, we received a lot of support and, we're able to maintain a low profile even after that raid some years ago. Do you really think a simple man like me would be able to pull this off without any help from someone with far more great power than you two?" Dr. Kang smirked. He motioned his men to hold down the two mutants as he successfully injected the two with a serum. "Send them to their rooms. Make sure they won't escape," he instructed. How the tables have turned, last time they held someone prisoner. Now, they are the prisoners.