Chapter 30

If The World Is Ending...

It has been five long years since the mutant terrorism happened. Everything is now back to the way it was. The school is now once again a safe space for the young mutants. Despite the long debate over this issue, it finally received support and funding from the government and is currently planning expansion. But as for a particular group, even though this was their life before, it was never the same. and it will never be, not when Hyewon and Yujin are gone.

 

"Eun, let's go. They are waiting," Chaeyeon called her attention. When the younger noticed where Eunbi was staring, she walked closer to her friend and gently put her hand on the older's shoulder. "We miss them too." It's not that the gang gave up, but there wasn't really a sign that they were still alive. They tried looking for them, searching every corner of the world, but there were just none.

 

With a deep sigh, Eunbi rose from her chair and returned a gentle press to Chaeyeon's hand with a small smile. "Let's not make them wait any longer, then."

 

*****

"... and this is where the infamous MED takes place," Eunbi proudly said. The kids gawked at the whole gymnasium. Since the school started expanding, their facilities started developing as well to be able to cater to all the mutants. Looking around the place, Eunbi felt something within her. The sense of pride when Hyewon shocked the whole academy with her abilities for the first time Sure, it was scary for some, but for her, it was definitely one of her fondest memories with the former.

 

"Fun fact: Did you know that the gym was almost destroyed by a single mutant? Mind you, she was a newbie and didn't have a single idea what her abilities were until that day," Yena chimed in, hearing more oohs and woahs from the young mutants in front of them.

 

"I want to be like her!" "She has more than one? Awesome!" The kids said it all at once. "Can we meet her?" a kid innocently asks, catching Yena and Eunbi off guard. Yena looks at her friend, waiting to see if she'll say it or not.

 

Eunbi levels with the kid, saying, "Given her abilities, she's also got responsibilities to fulfill. Sadly, she's not here right now. But once she comes back, you guys will be the first to meet her. I promise," she says with a soft smile. "How I wish I could fool myself like this kid," Eunbi thought to herself.

Right on cue, the lunch bell rings. Mutants and the faculty start gathering in the mess hall. Eunbi joins her friends at their usual lunch table, and she is welcomed with warm smiles. "What's for lunch?" she asks so casually.

 

"Chaen said you've been staring at their pictures again... Eun, we have tried everything. Perhaps it's time for us to move forward."

 

"Wow! What a way to tell her gently!" Yena sarcastically commented on her friend's remark. "Dude, you could have just let her get some food at least," she added.

 

Eunbi chuckled, surprising her friends since it's been a long time since they've heard her laugh. "I know... That's actually what I've been thinking lately." The group knew it would be hard, but they went through it. But they also knew it would be much harder for Eunbi. "Thank you, guys. Really."

 

"Stop! You're making me cry!" Wonyoung said, tearing up a little. They all shared a laugh and continued lunch in a better and lighter mood.

 

*****

"Give! It's my turn!"

 

"Wait! I missed her! Give me more time!"

 

"Guys, shut up! You're going to blow our cover!" Both immediately shut up. The two who were bickering released a sigh. "Great! Even your breaths are synced! This is my punishment for everything, I'm sure of it! Ugh!" the other person groaned.

 

"Do you ever think they miss us as well?" The taller mutant asked particularly to no one.

 

Three of them have been together ever since the fiasco, and Yujin has wiggled her way into Suhyun's heart. It's tough for her to look after Hyewon and her nightmares alone, but Yujin made sure to make her feel like it's the three of them together against the world. Now, for Suhyun, Yujin's like a younger sister, someone she's ready to kill for. "Kid, they would not be here if they didn't miss you. It's like they have made this place their home and live here already," Sihyeon comforted.

 

Unknown to them, Eunbi had felt their presence. She looks toward where the three were hiding, but Hyewon managed to hide themselves quickly thanks to her new found power, invisibility. "We need to go," Hyewon only said. Suhyun shrugged her shoulders, and Yujin could only release yet another heavy sigh.

 

*****

 

"Just how many universes do we need to fix before we can be free?" Hyewon asked, panting like a dog. They just got back from 1999 to "put everything in place".

 

Yujin approaches the entity, saying, "Y'know, Momo, I really like you and will be grateful for your help, but dude, when is this going to stop? I'm not complaining, but it's exhausting and painful. It's been more than a decade since our "time", I think it's time for you to let us go. Don't you think so too?"

 

Momo smiled—a pitiful one. "I know, I know. But I told you this tons of times before you guys jumped back in time and changed everything. I'm sorry, but there's no other way. You guys either exist in that universe with them dead or with your deaths for their lives." Their attention shifted to the alarm, "Looks like you guys are needed again," Momo says as she reads the details for the two's new assignment.

 

"Be back in a jiff," Yujin says before following Hyewon into a portal.

 

"You do know I can work these things out for them, right?" Momo nods. "So, why can't they go?"

 

"Because everything they do and have done is related to both of them. It doesn't look like it, but those small changes can help a lot. Plus, time will soon come, and you three will be free," Momo answers Suhyun.

 

"No offense, but I hate you and time," Suhyun answered with a sarcastic smile before joining her two friends in whatever period they jumped into.