Chapter 11

If The World Is Ending...

Hyewon beat herself up with training. As soon as she was done with her classes and other things she would go somewhere where she could be alone to push herself to her limit, may it be her powers or herself physically.

 

Today, she was joined by her two close buddies, Yena and Yujin. The two actually just followed her when they saw her.

 

"This what you do here? Sit there and that's it?" Yujin asked.

 

"Man, you're boring. If I knew you wouldn't be doing anything, I should've joined the others in the library." Yena plopped herself to the grass.

 

"Well, I didn't ask for you two to come did I? You can always go back inside anyway. Now, let me do my thing in peace."

 

*****

 

"Something's wrong with Hyewon," Eunbi said. She's with the inseparable Chaeyeon and Sakura together with the twins. Their 2 Kim friends are still in their classes while Wonyoung and Yuri just left to follow the three outside the manor.

 

"Huh? She seems fine to us," Nako said playing with her fire in her hand.

 

"She's always out and whenever she comes back to our room she looks very tired. It's very worrisome," Eunbi explained.

 

"Have you told this to Ms. Park?" Sakura asked while she brush her girlfriend's hair who's laying her head on her lap.

 

"I don't think there's a need to tell her. Maybe I'm just overthinking this," Eunbi was against herself, not trusting her own thoughts.

 

"Maybe... But why don't you try to talk to Hye? She'll surely tell you something, she could never lie to you," Chaeyeon advised.

 

Amidst their talk, the room suddenly became misty. "Tomi, stop fooling around. This isn't the time to play with your powers," Nako scolded her twin.

 

"Unfair that you're scolding me when you were literally playing with a fire earlier! But I'm seriously not doing anything, this ain't me," Hitomi defends herself.

 

Trying to trace where the mist came from, the group stood up and stepped outside. Every mutant did the same thing as them.

 

Soon, the mist became heavy. It started to blind everybody as it continues to spread throughout the whole place. It was only then that they heard the alarm, alerting everyone to evacuate the dormitory wing.

 

"Kura, go look where Hyewon and the others are. The rest follow me and help the others to the exit," Eunbi instructed them.

 

Sakura tried teleporting where Hyewon sometimes hangs out by herself, a.k.a the specific spot close by the forest where Hyewon and Yena trained before.

 

"I can't use my powers," Sakura informs them while she still tries to teleport. The others tried too and they discovered that they can't use their powers as well.

 

"Seems like they can't too," Tomi pointed to the other mutants in the hall.

 

"It's probably the mist. Maybe that's also why they sound the alarm instead of checking on us," Chaeyeon suggested.

 

"We need to evacuate quickly. Come on," Eunbi leads the whole students to evacuate with the help of their friends.

 

When they reached the exit, a group of armed men then entered. They were forced to step back. It was the first thing they were taught; never initiate the attack, always be the bigger person, and carefully retreat from the scene. With the thought these men would lower their weapons because they showed the action of cooperation, they were baffled when a man shot a mutant. Then another man followed and aim his shot at them. The students then ran towards the other exit, scared that they're next to get shot dead since their kind went down on the floor with a single shot.

 

"They're tranquilizers. We can fight them," Chaeyeon encouraged after realizing that no shot mutants bleeding. Other mutants were also fighting back.

 

"We can't be sure. The world has gone crazy, Hyewon's father for example. I mean, who knows someone could have developed a thing that could kill us without a trace at all," Eunbi reasoned.

 

"If we don't do anything now, we either end up being dead or taken away from here and they'll torture us somewhere isolated then die." Just as Nako finished talking, she felt a cold metal pointed at her head.

 

"Nobody moves or I'll blow shorty's brain into pieces," the man said.

 

"What did you call me?" Nako kicked the guy on his nut, making him kneel in front of the mutant. "Nobody calls me short!" Nako poked his both eyes before doing a roundhouse kick that Hyewon taught her.

 

"You were saying about not fighting back?" Tomi asked rhetorically before she charges to a man close to her.

 

*****

 

"Where do you think you're going?"

 

"Go! I'll handle this," Hyewon motioned her friends to continue running. They planned to warn the Headmaster and get everyone out to a safe place but that was before Suhyun found her.

 

"Hyewon, what did I tell you about wasting your energy? You don't ever! Why would you even try to use your power despite knowing that you can't? Come on now, Hyewon. You're better than this," Suhyun scolded the younger. Hyewon tried to attack her when her abilities didn't help her.

 

"Why are you here? What do you want?" Hyewon asked. She may look calm but inside she's created scenarios like killing her or escaping her to help the others.

 

"Just paying you a visit. See how you're doing and whatnot. Gotta say, this place looks nice but who are we kidding? This is just the same as where we came from. Maybe the only difference is that this place doesn't show how much potential a mutant has."

 

"No, the difference of this place to that damn place is that I have a family here," Hyewon answered in much disgust. Just how dare Suhyun compares the organization to this safe environment? The organization was more inhumane than any mutants.

 

"Family? What kind of nonsense are you talking about? They're not your family, we are! Gosh! Dad would be very much disappointed on how you perceived things so different now," Suhyun mocked a sigh. "Anyway, we'll get going now. We got what we came here for. I'll see you very soon, Hyewon."

 

As soon as Suhyun left, Hyewon rushed to the evacuation area where she found her friends and saw tons of other mutants laying helplessly on the floor, some are injured and hurt from fighting back and some are knocked out cold.

 

"Hyewon!" Eunbi immediately hugged the girl. She's glad that nothing happened to her roommate. "Thank goodness you're alright," Eunbi whispered.

 

"Where's Yujin?"

 

On cue, after Hyewon asked, Yujin arrived panting. Her face was painted in worry and fear. "I can't find Chaewon and Minjoo. None of the other mutants saw them," Yujin announced.

 

"What do you mean you can't find them?! Come with me, we'll scan the whole place again!" This was the loudest they had heard from Hitomi. How can she not when her girlfriend is missing just after a few hours of the attack?

 

"Calm down. They're doing a headcount to check if everyone's here, maybe Chaewon and Minjoo just got mixed up in the other group." Nako hoped that this would put her twin to ease but they have never experienced such a crisis. They have been safe in The Academy for years until Hyewon came.

 

"Mixed up?! Everyone's here, even our teachers are here!" Yujin pointed to the other side of the room.

 

Amidst calming the two down, Ms. Chou approached the group and excused Hyewon but Yujin didn't let her. "Whatever you have to say to her, you can say it to us! Enough hiding everything from us except her! She's not the one who lost someone!" It was loud enough to let everybody hear.

 

"Ms. Ahn, you have no business with whatever we're talking with Ms. Kang about. And we're already doing everything we can two find your two friends," Ms. Chou respond with so much coldness that if Yujin wasn't fuming mad right now, she would've been scared how cold her tone was.

 

They knew better not press any more buttons so they consoled Hitomi and Yujin instead as they wait for Hyewon to come back.

 

While Eunbi was getting water for the two, Wonyoung quietly approached her. "Eunbi?"

 

"Hey. Do you want some too? Are you hurt?" Eunbi softly asked the youngest. Wonyoung shook her head no. "Eunbi, I have to ask you something," Wonyoung sounded unsure so Eunbi composed herself and wait for the youngest to confide. "Does Kwangbae have a tattoo anywhere on her body?" The question caught her by surprise.

 

"Is she asking me if I've seen Hyewon ? Why would Wonnie ask such a thing in the middle of our situation?"

 

"I... Uhm...Can I ask why you're asking me that?" Eunbi asked since she doesn't know how would she answer the question.

 

"I accidentally heard Ms. Chou and Ms. Park seriously talking while I was hiding in the garden the other day... I heard them talking about Kwangbae having insignia on her. Have you seen it?" It got weirder for Eunbi. She's not sure if the latter really do have a tattoo, she hasn't seen Hyewon's whole body.

 

"I'm not really sure but every time Hyewon is having a nightmare, she keeps calling someone. Although I'm certain that the person's name is Suhyun. Have you told this to Ms. Park?" Eunbi asked and Wonyoung once again shook her head.

 

"I'm scared that she'll scold me. I haven't told anyone about this too except for you."

 

"Okay, I'll talk to Ms. Park later but I assure you, I won't disclose your name. Let's go back to them." As they head back to their group, Eunbi can't help but question everything again.

 

"Just what are they trying to hide about Hyewon? Why is everything happening now when we've been in peace here for so long? Why now? Why Hyewon?"