Chapter 7

If The World Is Ending...

"This is completely absurd!" Chaewon commented. All eyes are on the two mutants who haven't made their moves.

"Exactly! It doesn't make any sense!" Yujin agreed. Ten of them are on the edge of their seats.

"Hyewon needs to move. Like, now! The water is filling Eunbi's tube fast." They now shifted their gaze at Eunbi.

*****

Lee Sian has the same ability as Eunbi. She can move things with her mind. Seeing that Hyewon hasn't moved an inch, she pulled the mutant to her and land a punch. Hyewon went to the ground instantly but stands up quickly. "I guess I have to go Jackson on you," Sian smirked and continued her attacks.

Hyewon tries her best to dodge but Sian was better than she was expecting. "No wonder everyone was afraid of her," Hyewon thought to herself when she blocked Sian's strong kick.

"Fight back, you arrogant !" Sian shouted.

"Wow! Coming from someone who picks on weak? Unbelievable!" Yena commented. She wants to jump in and help her friend.

"Kwangbae! Fight back! You have to! Eunbi's tank is almost full!" Chaeyeon shouted from her seat.

Hyewon looked towards Eunbi's direction and Chaeyeon was right but she didn't do what the latter said. Hyewon's plan was to run towards Eunbi then she'll figure out how to stop the water later.

"Where do you think you're going?" Sian pulled her from her back, "The only way to stop the water from filling in is to beat me but in your case, it will only stop after I crush you or if you surrender." Sian successfully sent Hyewon flying to the other end, "Choose wisely." Sian once again pulled her close with the use of her powers. She locked Hyewon to the ground and began releasing powerful jabs. Instinctively, Hyewon put up her arms as a shield to her upper body but it only helped her a little.

It was starting to get boring for Sian so she stood up and fetch two sticks with her mind, she threw the other one to Hyewon, "Stand up. Let's make this thing fun, shall we? How about a wager? If I win, Eunbi will be my girlfriend and if you win--which is something I doubt, I'll be your genie and grant whatever or how ridiculous your wish might be."

"That's not something you can decide on. Eunbi is her own person, she can date whoever she wants to," Hyewon managed to say even she's panting. This hit a nerve, Sian shuts Hyewon up by attacking her chest with the stick.

Hyewon was coughing, she felt her lungs collapsing after the hit. Despite being in her tight situation, she still checked on Eunbi. She was shocked that the older was awake and panicking inside the tank. "If you really want to save her, stand up and fight. You know, I'm starting to see a picture here. Rumor has it that you have and amnesia and you're an orphan too," Sian crouched and forcefully pulled Hyewon's head up. "Maybe the reason you got no family is that you're weak. You're a coward. Maybe that's why they left you or maybe you're the reason why they're not with you because you won't be able to save them. Just like what will happen to Eunbi."

"Leave her alone!"

Hyewon pushed her away. She picked up the stick and made her attack. Sian was quick enough to stop it but without even a second passed, Hyewon tried again and was successful. The uncanny mutant keeps on attacking until she disarmed Sian. Everyone thought Hyewon would stop there but nothing seems can stop her now.

Hyewon threw away her stick. She pinned Sian on the ground, kneeled on the latter's hand to make sure Sian won't be able to guard herself while she lands sets of punches. Sian uses her powers to control the two sticks hitting Hyewon on the back. Everyone was surprised to see that Hyewon didn't budge and still going on with her punches.

Both of them were starting to bleed heavily. The sticks were now bent and useless. Sian swore on her life that Hyewon's eyes are now completely different from earlier. She was not sure if she's starting to see things because she's dying. Though she's sure of one thing; Hyewon is surely stronger than any mutants she has met.

"Aren't they going stop her? She's killing Sian already!" A mutant watching commented.

"Shut up! When Hyewon was the one who received the beating no one bats an eye," Minjoo retorts to the other mutant.

"She's tapping out already. Look!" The mutant pointed.

Sian was indeed tapping out but Hyewon can't feel anything. Sian's words struck her hard. She can't remember anything about her life other than useless bits of it, she hates the fact that Sian might be right. That she's the reason why she's facing the scary world all by herself.

"What if I killed them with my own hands? What if I made them disappear with my powers? What if they hated me?" Hyewon's mind was clouded with these thoughts.

Finally, the officials tried to intervene but failed to do so. Something stopped them midway, none of the officials were able to move on their spot. Hyewon's punches get stronger and stronger with each release and at this point, Sian will be helplessly laying on the ground dead.

"Hyewon, stop. You're killing her!" Ms. Park communicated with her by going into Hyewon's mind. "Whatever she said wasn't true. Stop this before it's too late," Ms. Park added.

"How would you know?! None of you heard it!" Hyewon shouted.

This took Ms. Park by surprise. Hyewon managed to answer her telepathically. "Because I told her to say that."

"You did what?!" Hyewon disregarded Sian as if she's a brat that got bored with her toy. She started coming for Ms. Park. The other officials tried to stop her from walking, including the instructors that were fond of her. She was really different from the Hyewon everyone knew.

Hyewon wrapped her fingers around the Headmaster's neck, she was basically lifting her from the ground. "Now let me hear you say that again. But this time male sure to be loud and clear."

Ms. Park won't be the Headmaster if she didn't know how to handle things. She stabbed an injection in the younger mutant's arm with a high dosage of sedative but it seems it doesn't affect Hyewon at all.

Ms. Park was baffled. The tranquilizers with a dosage for an elephant works in every mutant. They all either put to sleep or go weak on their knees but Hyewon, she was indeed an odd one.

Everyone wants to do something but they can't move a muscle, even Hyewon's friends. They all feel hopeless and scared. They can't believe they would witness something this horrifying.

Ms. Park felt Hyewon changed. Her grip started to loosen and then she realized, Eunbi was out of the tank. Hyewon finally let go of her.

"I'm sorry," Hyewon said before she face and hug Eunbi.

With the open opportunity, an official shot Hyewon twice with tranquilizers. Next thing they know, Hyewon passed out in the arms of Eunbi.

******

Hyewon found herself waking up in a bedroom. Walls painted with grey colors, a poster hung up on the wall, a desk full of neatly piled of a different literary piece. Hyewon walked around before realizing that it was her room.

"Hyewon! Breakfast is ready!" She heard a man knock on her door.

"Coming," she answers unsurely.

Before she leaves the room, she takes a peek of herself in the mirror to make sure. And she's still the same, nothing changed. Same black hair, plump lips, and pointy nose.

"Why are you still wearing your pajamas? You have school today, sweetie." A woman in her mid-30s spoke while she puts the food on the table.

"Dad never came home last night," a boy sitting across her says. Familiar with his voice, Hyewon concluded that this was the same guy who knocked on her door.

"Let's all understand your father. He's been working hard to make you and your sister will have a bright future ahead of you." The woman took care of Hyewon throughout their meal. "Go get changed, you'll be late for school."

Hyewon wanted to cry as she was finally able to see something vivid from her memory.

"Hyewon, don't forget that I'll pick you and your brother up after school, okay? You two better behave or I'll leave you guys in the car later while I do the groceries." Hyewon didn't know why she nodded like a kid but she absolutely felt she just did. His brother playfully saluted before he ran out of the house.

"I'll see you later," Hyewon happily kissed her Mom's cheek and followed her brother outside.

*****

They're on their trip home. They just finished doing the grocery and the siblings were enjoying their ice creams while singing along their mom to the song from the car's radio. Three of them were laughing, living the best day of their lives until a car from nowhere hit theirs.

Hyewon can't feel anything, all she can hear is a stinging sound. She unbuckled her belt and woke her Mom up, she checks on her brother as well.

"Mom. Mom! Wake up!" Hyewon shakes her mom, she switched to her brother when she received no reaction. "Kyeongwoo. Kyeongwoo!" No reaction as well.

"Kyeongwoo! Mom! Wake up! We need to leave!" Hyewon started crying. She continued to shake their bodies but they weren't moving. Hyewon steps out and then it hit her. It wasn't a car that hit them but a truck, their car was completely crushed and it's a miracle that she was able to move. Hyewon went over to the truck but it was empty, the driver had fled the scene already.

Hyewon doesn't know what to do. She tried getting her brother and mother out but their belts were stuck. She was getting scared because she knew in the movies that car crash often leads to blowing up moments after.

"Mom's phone!" Hyewon hurriedly searched for the gadget. When she found it, she immediately called the emergency hotline.

*****

It's been almost a month since her mother and brother died yet it felt like it just happened hours ago. With that, Hyewon then realized that she was just reliving a memory because her body seemed her normal self for her but in others' perspective, she's just a 12-year-old girl who lost half of her family on the same day.

Hyewon was alone in her room since her father has to keep working. Roaming around the house, she found out that her parents were both researchers for some private company but her mother retired early to look over the siblings.

"Sweetie, I'm home!"

"Kitchen!" Hyewon replied when she heard her father arrive home.

"What's for dinner?" Her dad asked.

"I ordered pizza. We're almost out of stock." Hyewon gave her dad a glass of water. She sensed there's something wrong with him but she doesn't want to pry. She's afraid to get scolded because her father may be having adult issues with work.

"Hyewon... Do you want to go to Dad's workplace tomorrow?" Hyewon's ears perked. They have never been to their parent's workplace, they are not even allowed to enter the library inside the house where her dad usually stays during the weekend so hearing that made her excited. "I guess that's a yes," her father said with a faint smile. "I'm heading to bed. Don't stay up too much, we need to be early tomorrow. Okay?" Hyewon nodded and her father just gave her a soft pat on her head.