Chapter 24

If The World Is Ending...

"Okay, what if you have a chance to change your powers: what kind of abilities would you exchange it for?" Yena asked. They just finished training. They are all laid back on the floor, trying to catch their breaths. It's time of the month again when they will be graded and observed how much they have improved in controlling their abilities. Hyewon still needs to do the examination just like the other students. Her performance back then was remarkable but, they can't ignore the fact that she severely injured too many people that day. So, after tons of discussion, they have decided to make her MED a tad bit different: only the professors are allowed. It's also a safety precaution so her outburst won't ever happen again.

"I've always wanted Minjoo's power. Imagine the things you can do if you can time jump!" Yujin answered very enthusiastically.

"You can literally just ask her to do that with you, you know?" Yena retorts.

"True. You might probably even do a lot more than just time jumps," Hyewon joins the conversation. Her comment made the two wonder what she meant. Hyewon understood the confused look that the two gave. "Haven't the thought of time travel occurred to you? You can probably do what the Flash can, speed of light-- breaking the impossibility. You can jump through time or even the universe-- that if another universe exists," Hyewon explained.

Yena and Yujin looked at each other, and then at the same cracked a laugh. "Kwangbae, you are such a nerd!" Yena laughed. "You know that those things happen only in comics and movies, right?" she added.

"What? Mutants only existed in comics before but look where we are right now," Hyewon countered.

"Fine, fine. Let's say that it could happen; if you have those powers, when will you go then?" Yujin asked.

Hyewon took her time and thought thoroughly. When she finally came up with an answer, "Go back to the time before I lost my family. I know that if that didn't happen, I would never meet you guys but, I have a feeling that at some point in our lives, we will all meet eventually."

"Okay, come clean now, Wonyoung. Tell us where we can find Hyewon?" Yena teases Hyewon's sudden cheesiness. Hyewon then tackles her and pin her to the ground, attacking Yena with tickles. Yujin sat up and, instead of helping Yena, she just stayed on the side and laughed along but, deep inside, she's pondering the possibility of Hyewon's answer.

*****
"How much longer are we going to watch them from here?" Yena complains as she watches Hyewon and Suhyun make breakfast for the president through the binoculars.

Eunbi takes the equipment from Yena and hands it over to Chaewon instead. "Either you wait or, I have to ask the team leader to bring you back to the Academy, Yena," Eunbi scolds the duplicating mutant. "We have to follow orders if we want to save Hyewon," she reminds her friends.

"Do you have any updates with Hii-chan?" Nako asks boringly but, everyone knows that she's only pretending not to be worried. As much as the others want to come, they cannot. They'll burden the team with more responsibility. Until they've got their powers back, they need to stay safe and alive.

"If you want, I can go there right now?" Yujin offered. She wants to see Minjoo keep the latter assured that they're just fine. Yujin suddenly flashes right before their eyes without waiting for anyone's answer.
"Is it just me or, there's something up with that kid?" Sakura whispers to her girlfriend as she dusts off her face from Yujin's sudden run. "What do you mean?" Chaeyeon asks. "She seems distracted after we saw Hyewon unleashed her new set of powers," Sakura answered.

"Saku-chan, who wouldn't? Hyewon suddenly got a dozen new sets of powers," Chaeyeon exaggerated, hoping it would somehow calm her girlfriend's nerve. "I'm sure Yujin's just trying to make a sense out of it since we were out of touch with the Academy last night. She's already probably talking to Ms. Park by now," she added. Sakura could only nod there's no point to worry furthermore since they're probably facing the worst-case scenario.

*****
"Where's the twerp?" Hyewon asks while she sets the table. If it was the old Hyewon-Suhyun duo, they probably won't even bother to take care of their captive but, they have changed a lot in a short period.

"She's called back to the quarters. They probably figured out it was her who killed that poor old bodyguard back in the Blue House. It was all over the news this morning anyway," Suhyun answered. Even though she wanted to ask Hyewon's outburst last night, she knew that it's best if she would let the latter open up for herself than to ask. Who knows that she might trigger her again?

Out of nowhere, Hyewon asked her a question; "Hyun, do you have any idea how to remove this thing?" referring to the chip behind her ear.
"Only Dad has the key. It's somewhat an electromagnetic lock. On top of that, you have to tear your skin open. It's a sort of complicated device, Hye. Why'd you ask?"

"Well, I was thinking, you said this thing controls us and our memory, right?" Suhyun nodded. "What if we don't have to remove it? What if we disable it instead? That could work, don't you think?"

"I'm not sure. And, it sounds risky."

"Yeah... You're right. I'll just think of another way," Hyewon answered with a faint smile.

*****
"You are not supposed to be here," Yujin swore her heart just dropped from its place. Looking behind her, she saw Tzuyu holding a couple of books. "I'm visiting my girlfriend and my friends...?" Yujin answered unsurely.

"Sure but, they are not here in the library. Why would you even think that they're here? You knew we were trying different procedures today so, that means we're either on the medical wing or inside the headmaster's office," Tzuyu retorts as her suspicions arise.

Yujin sighed. It's better to get some help than to keep it to herself anyway. She needs someone with experience's perspective and she just showed up. "Perhaps you know anything about time jumps or time travel?"

". I have super strength, not time manipulation. Nevertheless, consider yourself lucky because I know someone who might be a help," Tzuu answered. Yujin immediately puts back the books she was skimming through then follows Tzuyu to the very end of the manor, where all the maintenance staff shelters. "Momo? Do you have a minute?"

"Did she not understand me? How can a normal maintenance staff help me with time manipulation?" Yujin thought to herself.

"Momo Hirai, one of the few mutants that the government successfully "fixed." Well, they indeed fixed her to their standard. She's a time manipulator she can probably answer some of your questions." Yujin nodded. She does not know how to begin. "I'll get going now, Jihyo needs me." The tall mutant left the two alone.

"So, what about time?" Momo asked.

*****

"Things are going according to plan, Doc," Uno stated. Dr. Kang turns his chair around, a sinister smile plastered on his face. "Good! Let's get the show started!" He stands up and walks out of his office with the mutant following.